Roeder IS the right man for THIS Newcastle United

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

He's earned it

That's right! He's convinced me. Or rather a number of factors have and while I recognise he isn't going to have us challenging for top honours like the League or taking us to the heights Sir Bobby did, I think considering these uncertain times we are in and just how far behind the top 4 we really are, then Roeder is the best man for this Newcastle United at this moment in time.

A club I believe many fans are now starting to accept as a broken club in many areas and one that needs some love and attention, money spent and a great deal of patience shown, all before we can start working our way back up to where we were under Sir Bobby - a top 4 club. Usually a manager grows into a job but with Roeder I feel it has been the other way round, the club has somewhat grown around Roeder whose calm and collected style and sleeves up get on with the job attitude has brought a surreal sense of clam and togetherness to United and that is an achievement in itself at a club that lurches from one knee-jerk crisis to another.

Many will point to an upturn in form and results as to why this calm and togetherness exists but I will point to the last time a Newcastle United side went on a fine run under another not-so-highly-rated-manager; Graeme Souness' record unbeaten start to his Toon managerial career. There was no calm and togetherness, just a widening storm. Fans rightly expected more from a side that had finished 4th, 3rd and 5th. Today, however, things are different. Again, I think fans are genuinely starting to see a bigger picture and accept that to repair the damage created by Sir Bobby's untimely sacking, the appointment of Souness and the subsequent waste of £50m or so, is going to take both time and patience - two things not usually associated with this club.

Expectations today are pretty low and many fans are showing surprise when we string a few results together (as we have done) or when we win comfortably on the road (3-1 at Ewood). Indeed the lofty height of being 11th has raised one or two cheers of triumph. These are good things and good signs for Roeder and his mismatched side because it is allowing some good and much needed work to be done on the side, namely the development of certain young players and the gelling of Martins, but most of all, it has giving the team shelter from the storm clouds that were gathering outside St. James' Park.

The result? The team have confidence, are enjoying themselves and overperforming (in my opinion) to bring much needed results. Unlikely heroes are emerging too (Sibierski and Butt) and, well, despite our position in the table, Newcastle fans are quite happy at the moment (I know I am) and when we are happy, you know things are OK. Again, given the circumstances such as our rightfully high expectations, this is another achievement.

These results aren't what has impressed me the most, however. No, what has impressed me the most is the small but countless and significant improvements I am seeing each week not just from the team as a whole and individuals but tactically, fitness wise and the all-important - togetherness we are displaying in abundance. There seems to be a real sense of togetherness in the camp and that can only come from the manager who deserves massive credit here, he really does.

As an example of just how the manager can effect such situations, positively or negatively, we all saw how destructive Souness' bleak, negative attitude and poor man management was for morale and what that did to the team (and results), and he didn't have half as bad an injury list to contend with as Roeder has had this season. Well Roeder's complete reverse in attitude and man management style has been the real difference this time round to an injury hit side low on form, quality and morale.

Have you noticed how our young players play without fear, with leadership, with confidence and spirit? I have. From Taylor to Huntington the local lads to Martins and N'Zogbia the foreigners. Again that comes directly from the manager. Remember Souness' comments about being forced to play the James Milners of this world and what impact that had?

So here we have a manager in Roeder directly effecting results for the better and I don't know about you but I had my doubts whether he could motivate - essential skills for any manager - but he's more than proved his worth in that area. Taylor is playing like the future captain we yearn for from the academy, Ramage is blossoming into a solid if unspectacular centre-half, Martins is coming along nicely, Huntington has broken into the first-team and looks comfortable at that level. Butt is a player reborn. Parker is among the goals this season. Solano - Nobby... f***ing fantastic stuff. A player with a new lease of life, a leader has emerged out of nowhere. Then there is Sibierski, a 33-year old journeyman playing the best football of his career.

When you think about it putting a team together from such an odd mix and get them winning games is an achievement, it really is. Those injuries... Shepherd said the other day that not even Fergie could have dealt with the situation any better and do you know what, I'd have to agree.

Roeder has many faults and is in part, responsible for the lack of depth that saw us ill-equipped for this season which has cost us more than anything, but you can only admire and respect what he has done to get himself and the club out of it, or at least looking upwards and not downwards as we were. They say you learn a lot more about someone when they're under pressure or have their hands tied. Well I've learned that Roeder has skills and character traits I doubted in him, namely motivation and balls.

Also, we are just one or two players short of being a very decent team. What we lack at the moment is true balance, we're a lopsided team and the current side reminds me of Sir Bobby's earlier teams before he balanced it out with Robert and Bellamy. With the transfer window soon to open can Roeder find two-three players to balance and compliment the side? If he can do that and we can ride a few tricky fixtures, a European place won't be far off and I don't know about you but after the Blades game, the very thought of Europe made me laugh.

Of course we aren't fully out of the woods yet but another beauty Roeder has shown me is his survival instincts and should we get dragged into it again, I have full confidence that we'll get out of it.

Well done Glenn Roeder.

As fans we need to remain patient and allow things to progress nicely. Outside of the top 5 managers and at a push the overrated Martin O'Neill, Roeder is as good as any and has earned the right to have a full crack at it, he's shown me enough in small doses and little ways that he is capable of building a side to finish in the top 6 and that has to be our aim these days given the huge gap at the very top and the resources those clubs can call on, not to mention our inability to attract a world-class manager. I will accept another mid-table finish this season, Roeder has shown he learns from his mistakes, he can motivate, he can bring through youngsters and develop their games', he has also gotten the best out of a mixed bag side made up of odd-ball players. Therefore there is no reason why he can't continue that.

PS Nigel Pearson deserves some praise too, as do the team. Well done Newcastle United.

To be honest I can't think of anywhere in that post that I didnt agree with. Credit where credit is due, if Roeder is going to get all the shit he had when we were doing bad, I think its only fair that the praise comes with it for how he's turned us around. Good post.

Guest TheOrder

He's earned it

That's right! He's convinced me. Or rather a number of factors have and while I recognise he isn't going to have us challenging for top honours like the League or taking us to the heights Sir Bobby did, I think considering these uncertain times we are in and just how far behind the top 4 we really are, then Roeder is the best man for this Newcastle United at this moment in time.

A club I believe many fans are now starting to accept as a broken club in many areas and one that needs some love and attention, money spent and a great deal of patience shown, all before we can start working our way back up to where we were under Sir Bobby - a top 4 club. Usually a manager grows into a job but with Roeder I feel it has been the other way round, the club has somewhat grown around Roeder whose calm and collected style and sleeves up get on with the job attitude has brought a surreal sense of clam and togetherness to United and that is an achievement in itself at a club that lurches from one knee-jerk crisis to another.

Many will point to an upturn in form and results as to why this calm and togetherness exists but I will point to the last time a Newcastle United side went on a fine run under another not-so-highly-rated-manager; Graeme Souness' record unbeaten start to his Toon managerial career. There was no calm and togetherness, just a widening storm. Fans rightly expected more from a side that had finished 4th, 3rd and 5th. Today, however, things are different. Again, I think fans are genuinely starting to see a bigger picture and accept that to repair the damage created by Sir Bobby's untimely sacking, the appointment of Souness and the subsequent waste of £50m or so, is going to take both time and patience - two things not usually associated with this club.

Expectations today are pretty low and many fans are showing surprise when we string a few results together (as we have done) or when we win comfortably on the road (3-1 at Ewood). Indeed the lofty height of being 11th has raised one or two cheers of triumph. These are good things and good signs for Roeder and his mismatched side because it is allowing some good and much needed work to be done on the side, namely the development of certain young players and the gelling of Martins, but most of all, it has giving the team shelter from the storm clouds that were gathering outside St. James' Park.

The result? The team have confidence, are enjoying themselves and overperforming (in my opinion) to bring much needed results. Unlikely heroes are emerging too (Sibierski and Butt) and, well, despite our position in the table, Newcastle fans are quite happy at the moment (I know I am) and when we are happy, you know things are OK. Again, given the circumstances such as our rightfully high expectations, this is another achievement.

These results aren't what has impressed me the most, however. No, what has impressed me the most is the small but countless and significant improvements I am seeing each week not just from the team as a whole and individuals but tactically, fitness wise and the all-important - togetherness we are displaying in abundance. There seems to be a real sense of togetherness in the camp and that can only come from the manager who deserves massive credit here, he really does.

As an example of just how the manager can effect such situations, positively or negatively, we all saw how destructive Souness' bleak, negative attitude and poor man management was for morale and what that did to the team (and results), and he didn't have half as bad an injury list to contend with as Roeder has had this season. Well Roeder's complete reverse in attitude and man management style has been the real difference this time round to an injury hit side low on form, quality and morale.

Have you noticed how our young players play without fear, with leadership, with confidence and spirit? I have. From Taylor to Huntington the local lads to Martins and N'Zogbia the foreigners. Again that comes directly from the manager. Remember Souness' comments about being forced to play the James Milners of this world and what impact that had?

So here we have a manager in Roeder directly effecting results for the better and I don't know about you but I had my doubts whether he could motivate - essential skills for any manager - but he's more than proved his worth in that area. Taylor is playing like the future captain we yearn for from the academy, Ramage is blossoming into a solid if unspectacular centre-half, Martins is coming along nicely, Huntington has broken into the first-team and looks comfortable at that level. Butt is a player reborn. Parker is among the goals this season. Solano - Nobby... f***ing fantastic stuff. A player with a new lease of life, a leader has emerged out of nowhere. Then there is Sibierski, a 33-year old journeyman playing the best football of his career.

When you think about it putting a team together from such an odd mix and get them winning games is an achievement, it really is. Those injuries... Shepherd said the other day that not even Fergie could have dealt with the situation any better and do you know what, I'd have to agree.

Roeder has many faults and is in part, responsible for the lack of depth that saw us ill-equipped for this season which has cost us more than anything, but you can only admire and respect what he has done to get himself and the club out of it, or at least looking upwards and not downwards as we were. They say you learn a lot more about someone when they're under pressure or have their hands tied. Well I've learned that Roeder has skills and character traits I doubted in him, namely motivation and balls.

Also, we are just one or two players short of being a very decent team. What we lack at the moment is true balance, we're a lopsided team and the current side reminds me of Sir Bobby's earlier teams before he balanced it out with Robert and Bellamy. With the transfer window soon to open can Roeder find two-three players to balance and compliment the side? If he can do that and we can ride a few tricky fixtures, a European place won't be far off and I don't know about you but after the Blades game, the very thought of Europe made me laugh.

Of course we aren't fully out of the woods yet but another beauty Roeder has shown me is his survival instincts and should we get dragged into it again, I have full confidence that we'll get out of it.

Well done Glenn Roeder.

As fans we need to remain patient and allow things to progress nicely. Outside of the top 5 managers and at a push the overrated Martin O'Neill, Roeder is as good as any and has earned the right to have a full crack at it, he's shown me enough in small doses and little ways that he is capable of building a side to finish in the top 6 and that has to be our aim these days given the huge gap at the very top and the resources those clubs can call on, not to mention our inability to attract a world-class manager. I will accept another mid-table finish this season, Roeder has shown he learns from his mistakes, he can motivate, he can bring through youngsters and develop their games', he has also gotten the best out of a mixed bag side made up of odd-ball players. Therefore there is no reason why he can't continue that.

PS Nigel Pearson deserves some praise too, as do the team. Well done Newcastle United.

:clap:

Guest Moe-Ali

Fuck no they have not been good.

NOT

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/fastjetjockey/Funny%20Stuff/th_Borat.jpg

I agree mostly.  However, i'm still concerned that we're too fragile.  I think we rely on confidence far too much.  We lose to fulham at the end of the game then we didnt recover for ages, losing games we really must win.  Games like Sheff Utd, Bolton, Charlton - why were we not interested in scoring?  There was no desire to get back into the game.

It also happens on a smaller scale within matches.  We concede a goal and we go into panic mode.  Even since our revival, this has happened against Reading, spurs, watford.  Reading we concede one after playing well, we collapsed and didnt really look like getting back into it til we got the pen.  Watford again got a lucky goal, but then they looked most like scoring another, and despite a good performance yesterday, after spurs pulled one back they so easily couldve equalised.

Don't get me wrong, i support roeder, im just saying i still have concerns.  I think had we not drawn v arsenal we could still be in a big mess and i'm concerned that our confidence will once again get shattered in the upcoming hard fixtures.

The stats of the last few games are pretty decent.

Played: 16

Won: 8

Drew: 5

Lost: 3

Scored: 21

Conceded: 12

Goal Difference: +9

League Position: 11th

Let's just hope it continues and then I'll be happy with what Roeder's doing :thup: The January Transfer Window will determine Roeder's future IMO

Guest Moe-Ali

My stance or Roeder is still the same: He can make us into a solid top 8 club with stability. He is welcome to stay for a couple of years and be the first bricks of a new NUFC.

:thup:

Well Done.

PS NE5 and HTL alert.

myself and Grass discussed this - and some of the improvements in the team and some players - a few weeks ago via pm.

I made the point that I saw comparisons with the rebuilding job Arthur Cox did - although this is a different level because we are playing at a higher level and have a supportive board nowadays - but the improvement in certain things as has been pointed out were there if you could see them. Of course those who think the past isn't relevant ie experience means nothing - will probably dismiss such observations again.

Its a shame other people out there didn't see the merits in attempting something different in appointing someone as a manager - with supposedly good coaching credentials - who would not be an ex trophy winner [take note those who say we never appoint trophy winning managers] with an ego but with someone who would at least put the club first and do his best for the club.

I could say "well done Fred" ....at least for now anyway ... for hopefully setting right the last mistake - but I won't....oh I just have. There is a long way to go, the next 3 games are very difficult and we might be a few places lower in a few weeks time, but this is the nature of a true rebuilding job and a reflection of the mess that we were in because of the last manager wasting money and selling players he shouldn't have. The real test of a team on the up has been the last few weeks, both times we lost [to Chelsea] we bounced straight back with a win. The next few weeks may not be so easy to bounce back but I think January is a big month for us. We need an out and out forward player, and if we get one we can consolidate our league position, give us all reason for optimism and go for the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup which are both there to be won.

An excellent post HTT and very well put.

:thup:

Good post KR.

Im gonna be honest and say i still have a few doubts but over the past few weeks ive been very impressed, January is gonna be an important month for Roeder because he needs to buy a few players and i dont want to see any fucking about about like we did in the Summer.

It's also pleasing to see us playing some good football.

Guest Deep456

In any other season we would say the games played were likely wins . So getting all that happy and saying he is doing brilliant isn't tooting my horn. Come the next 4 games we will probably be sitting here with 10 threads on sack Roeder now. But it's about actually getting those points and I say he's done that so fair play to him.

Watford (h)

Reading (h)

Tottenham(h)

Blackburn(a)

Portmouth(h)

Guest Knightrider

For me, successful management is all about getting the best out of what you have to work with and Roeder is doing that and then sum, like he did last season in taking us to 7th (so not a fluke?) and that is all I can ask for really from our manager.

In between, however, he is showing me some other promising signs and I'm finding a whole host of small but significant treats, things that get my attention and make me wonder...

Tactically he is very flawed but tactics are an art form and aren't too important in your run of the mill games i.e. Spurs, Pompey et al, tactics are what gets you points at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge or decide titles and in Roeder I'm afraid it's a case of you get what you pay for - we didn't employ him for his tactical acumen or to win us league titles. I can live with this so long as it doesn't effect us too badly and it hasn't.

Indeed, his actions have turned around a few games for us like the mackems away etc. It evens itself out I think.

The transfer window is a bone of contention, he got that one badly wrong but when your manager does that, you ask whether he can undo it and he has done, he is winning games with a small side lacking real quality in certain areas.

What impresses me though is the confidence the younger lads are showing, their spirit and leadership and the improvements in Martins, the back four, Butt and Parker's games' and the newfound drive and hunger we are showing - that comes from the training ground, that comes from the manager's man management and leadership.

By no means are we turning into a top team and Roeder isn't becoming a top manager, but he is doing a top job when you think about it. To get European football from the mess Souness left was nothing short of remarkable, we all agree, and now, to win games with a side that was low in confidence, form, league position, depth and quality, again, it is a remarkable feat.

Therefore Roeder is doing a very good job.

Last season, excellent couldn't have done any more.

Early this season was very worrying, saw some signs even in pre-season that made me nervous.

Now, he has turned it around again and we are looking good,

We have all got to remember and I myself had neglected earlier in the season, Roeder is having to rebuild this team. Souness completely ruined us and although we have a decent squad there is still only so much Glenn can do. The summer transfer window was a disappointment for me but im sure we can have a better one this time and as long as we keep going the way we are at the moment next season can be when he really takes the next step.

For me, successful management is all about getting the best out of what you have to work with and Roeder is doing that and then sum, like he did last season in taking us to 7th (so not a fluke?) and that is all I can ask for really from our manager.

In between, however, he is showing me some other promising signs and I'm finding a whole host of small but significant treats, things that get my attention and make me wonder...

Tactically he is very flawed but tactics are an art form and aren't too important in your run of the mill games i.e. Spurs, Pompey et al, tactics are what gets you points at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge or decide titles and in Roeder I'm afraid it's a case of you get what you pay for - we didn't employ him for his tactical acumen or to win us league titles. I can live with this so long as it doesn't effect us too badly and it hasn't.

Indeed, his actions have turned around a few games for us like the mackems away etc. It evens itself out I think.

The transfer window is a bone of contention, he got that one badly wrong but when your manager does that, you ask whether he can undo it and he has done, he is winning games with a small side lacking real quality in certain areas.

What impresses me though is the confidence the younger lads are showing, their spirit and leadership and the improvements in Martins, the back four, Butt and Parker's games' and the newfound drive and hunger we are showing - that comes from the training ground, that comes from the manager's man management and leadership.

By no means are we turning into a top team and Roeder isn't becoming a top manager, but he is doing a top job when you think about it. To get European football from the mess Souness left was nothing short of remarkable, we all agree, and now, to win games with a side that was low in confidence, form, league position, depth and quality, again, it is a remarkable feat.

Therefore Roeder is doing a very good job.

I quite like the phrase in the other thread "attacking is flair defence is drill", its pretty good. You can always have a good defensive record with a well organised defence and a leader, with good communication and determination. The better sides have better footballers in there, but these basic elements will get you good results. This is why I think he did well in the summer, we were lighweight in numbers up front - as well as quality - and I can't honestly see how it was so bad mate. Like all managers he will be judged on his signings and if he gets the next few right we could in fact do very well. Its only a while that we were saying the signing of Martins was crucial to his fortunes, and now that he is starting to deliver it proves that point.

If the manager can motivate the players, gain their respect, and coach them into playing the right way of playing, they have every chance of being successful, and recently those signs have shown it is possible, even though some of our opponents haven't been the best, we have been beating them in the right way, by winning the ball, and passing, moving and using intelligence and playing as a team and keeping their shape. The way further forward is to continue doing what we are doing but adding a bit more quality ie making good judgements.

As Bill Shankly said, its a marathon and, we need to continue improving as the season goes on.

Guest TheOrder

Disbelief. I expect a long one after the christmas period on how, when, why he should be sacked.

You'll be waiting a long time, I expect.

Just seen the thread - and there are three or four VERY long posts that i genuinely just can't be bothered to go through. I'll probably read the first couple later on. But i'll give my opinion of Roeder, in a nutshell.

Didn't like the appointment, and still don't - we should have appointed someone far better, someone qualified at the very least. You could say that that's not Roeder's fault, but he should have stood by what he said in the first place and turn down the permanent managers job, and left Newcastle as a hero. Instead, he's likely to leave having achieved a couple of half decent mid-table finishes, and nowt much else. I didn't buy the 'he earnt it' theory - that was a lame cover up cos we just couldn't afford anyone else, or no one wanted it. He's an average-to-bad manager who'll do nowt with us.

Of course, i'm hoping i'm totally wrong, but being completely honest - that's just what i think.

In regards to the short term, i'm not calling for his head - i think he should be given until the end of the transfer window, and probably till the end of the season at the very least. Give him a year in the job minimum, like i said with Souness aswell. I'd love to see him do well. But another shocking transfer window, and an 11th-17th place will have me posing some very strong questions.

He's earned it

Well done Glenn Roeder.

:clap:

I was going to write something like this but you have said everything i was going to say and more.

your posts i normally agree with also...  :thup:

Guest TheOrder

Just seen the thread - and there are three or four VERY long posts that i genuinely just can't be bothered to go through. I'll probably read the first couple later on. But i'll give my opinion of Roeder, in a nutshell.

Didn't like the appointment, and still don't - we should have appointed someone far better, someone qualified at the very least. You could say that that's not Roeder's fault, but he should have stood by what he said in the first place and turn down the permanent managers job, and left Newcastle as a hero. Instead, he's likely to leave having achieved a couple of h

alf decent mid-table finishes, and nowt much else. I didn't buy the 'he earnt it' theory - that was a lame cover up cos we just couldn't afford anyone else, or no one wanted it. He's an average-to-bad manager who'll do nowt with us.

Of course, i'm hoping i'm totally wrong, but being completely honest - that's just what i think.

In regards to the short term, i'm not calling for his head - i think he should be given until the end of the transfer window, and probably till the end of the season at the very least. Give him a year in the job minimum, like i said with Souness aswell. I'd love to see him do well. But another shocking transfer window, and an 11th-17th place will have me posing some very strong questions.

Preparing for the future with another managerial change...?

Maybe you should read the fucking post, deconstruct, and challenge things with facts and figures, instead of getting your fucking crystal ball out, and giving a manager 'to the end of the transfer window'.

Truly the words of someone that doesn't have a fucking clue, tbh. Honestly, I don't understand what you want from the team at the moment, even despite our current mediocre position, I'm ten times as happy as this time last year, and so should every other fucker. We're a club on the up, but it's going to take time, quite a number of years, at least.