Roeder IS the right man for THIS Newcastle United

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

The youngsters again played without fear and showed great spirit and leadership. It is very hard to instill those things into youngsters regardless and Roeder has to be praised for his handling of the younger players who are effectively bailing us out this season.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

The youngsters again played without fear and showed great spirit and leadership. It is very hard to instill those things into youngsters regardless and Roeder has to be praised for his handling of the younger players who are effectively bailing us out this season.

he did well with the academy previously to be fair.

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Amen to the original poster.  I can't believe the backbone, fight, fire and spirit which Roeder has brought to the side.

I personally think he hasn't got that much faith in the youngsters and will only play them as a last resort, he wanted to play Butt at CB rather than give a young defender a chance and done the same against Everton.

Guest Knightrider

he did well with the academy previously to be fair.

And we are seeing the benefits of that now. The youngsters seem ready and up for it, showing no fear and while some may lack real ability (Ramage for example) their work can not be underestimated and for me watching the younger players perform like men has been the highlight of an otherwise disappointing season thus far. Long may it continue and should we find a solution or two in the transfer window then I can see some promise ahead.

Guest Knightrider

I personally think he hasn't got that much faith in the youngsters and will only play them as a last resort, he wanted to play Butt at CB rather than give a young defender a chance and done the same against Everton.

I think he has a degree of faith in them but he, being a former defender himself, will know just how precarious it can be for young centre-backs in matches against the likes of Everton and Man Utd and I imagine that plays on his mind. Anyway I'm not really talking about faith here, rather the preparation of these players for first-team duty which has been first-class and perhaps highlights Roeder's main skills as a manager.

Guest MalcolmSm1th

The Academy.  There's not too many clubs where the Academy's name is coming to the fore.  Of course this could well be the case that the Academy is the bottom of the proverbial barrel.  Nonetheless the Academy is getting one hell of an advertisement right now.

Some inspiring words from Roeder:

Roeder said that the power of positive thinking was vital to the superb draw a scratch Newcastle team achieved against the title favourites.

He explained: "I said to the players before the game, and I reminded them of it after the game, that anything is achievable in life if you put your mind to it and really, really think that you can achieve a result.

"I wanted them to be relaxed before kick-off then get their heads down and get together and fight for the ball wherever it was on the pitch.

"This is as good as Newcastle have done against Manchester United for a while, and I would like to think that the fans have seen a good game and have gone away happy.

"I'm a greedy person and it would have been nice to take three points, but in the circumstances one isn't bad."

Maybe he is the man for this job. Guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Guest Knightrider

How long was Roeder at the Academy?

How many kids did he predict would come through to the first team soon after he became manager?

Not very long but by all accounts his impact was quite visable to those who watched a few academy games. As for your second question, IIRC I'm sure he said the standard wasn't very high, when he first took over as academy director, although I may be wrong.

Not very long but by all accounts his impact was quite visable to those who watched a few academy games. As for your second question, IIRC I'm sure he said the standard wasn't very high, when he first took over as academy director, although I may be wrong.

Whatever the reason for the kids doing well, long may it continue.

They'll be getting paid pennies and they're saving our season, brilliant.

Guest Knightrider

Yep, and its great to witness. Even when the likes of Carr et al return, I'd stick with the youngsters. Whether Roeder will do just that remains to be seen, especially now that he has the chance to bring in some new faces.

If Roeder/Fred can't bring in new fullbacks, I'd be extremely disappointed. Even though we have players capable of producing high-quality performances in those positions, such as Nobby at RB, we surely can't expect them to keep it up for the rest of the season without having dips in form, and more importantly, we have to look towards the future. Solano won't be able to play at this level in a couple of seasons so this could be our chance to sort out both the LB and RB positions for the foreseeable future. Get someone of Bridge's quality in for LB and someone like the Greece fella who was magnificent in the Euro 04, Seitaridis was it? Then I'd say we'd be covered in those positions for the next few years at least, and furthermore, considering the young talented defenders we have coming through, our whole defence will have basically been upgraded :)

Yep, and its great to witness. Even when the likes of Carr et al return, I'd stick with the youngsters. Whether Roeder will do just that remains to be seen, especially now that he has the chance to bring in some new faces.

They'll need dropping sooner or later to give them a rest from the pressure, I don't mind that happening if it's for that reason and to allow them to recharge batteries.  They'll have good and bad days and will need protecting from time to time.

I hope they don't dissapear altogether once the older players return.

Guest Knightrider

Agree with both your post Mick and XVentura, yours too. I trust Roeder will do what he feels is best for both the team and the youngsters concerned, especially the youngsters.

Guest elbee909

I'd do that just to send a pretty stark message to Carr and Babyaro - that the pissing-in-the-wind quality of play that you've been serving up just isn't good enough for players of your supposed quality and experience.

Agree with both your post Mick and XVentura, yours too. I trust Roeder will do what he feels is best for both the team and the youngsters concerned, especially the youngsters.

if we drop further down the league he will probably - correctly - go for experience first, but if we stay where we are or go higher - which I feel we would if we buy a striker - he will probably rotate them around, which would be the right thing to do.

Guest Knightrider

if we drop further down the league he will probably - correctly - go for experience first, but if we stay where we are or go higher - which I feel we would if we buy a striker - he will probably rotate them around, which would be the right thing to do.

Again, I agree, and I hope ineed that's what he does do.

• 3 months later...

Roeder has not done too well when he's had to make decisions, he usually gets them wrong.  Wait until some of the injured players start to return and he then plays them instead of the players who are performing for him now.  Carr and Duff might just walk straight back into the team.  4-5-1 is a s**** formation and we even play a negative formation like that at home when we should be going for the opposition instead of allowing them to come at us.  I think this thread is knee jerk although if things carry on then I might change my mind.

If people want to forget some of the s**** we've witnessed this season then fair enough, I'll not rush to forget it yet.  Souness was said to have the players on his side while manager, I think most people reliase that it didn't make any difference even if he did.  Souness also went on mini runs where he would guide us to a few wins then we'd struggle for a few and win a few.  To say Roeder has turned the corner is very short sighted at this time and those who say he has could end up looking a bit daft.  Fulham, Charlton, Sheffield and Man U should be reminders of some of the s**** a few seem to be forgetting, we lost against Man U before kicking a ball.

I hope those who think we've turned a corner are right but it's far too early to say one way or the other, knowing our luck we'll be back to square one before we know it.

The defenders we have in place at the minute are only in those positions because others have been injured, I doubt the defence we played against Spurs would have played if it wasn't for players getting injured.  Roeder appears to have his blue eyed boys who are picked when fit, regardless of how they play, Duff being the best example, Carr being picked while s**** is another.

Proof.  :D

Roeder has not done too well when he's had to make decisions, he usually gets them wrong.  Wait until some of the injured players start to return and he then plays them instead of the players who are performing for him now.  Carr and Duff might just walk straight back into the team.  4-5-1 is a s**** formation and we even play a negative formation like that at home when we should be going for the opposition instead of allowing them to come at us.  I think this thread is knee jerk although if things carry on then I might change my mind.

If people want to forget some of the s**** we've witnessed this season then fair enough, I'll not rush to forget it yet.  Souness was said to have the players on his side while manager, I think most people reliase that it didn't make any difference even if he did.  Souness also went on mini runs where he would guide us to a few wins then we'd struggle for a few and win a few.  To say Roeder has turned the corner is very short sighted at this time and those who say he has could end up looking a bit daft.  Fulham, Charlton, Sheffield and Man U should be reminders of some of the s**** a few seem to be forgetting, we lost against Man U before kicking a ball.

I hope those who think we've turned a corner are right but it's far too early to say one way or the other, knowing our luck we'll be back to square one before we know it.

The defenders we have in place at the minute are only in those positions because others have been injured, I doubt the defence we played against Spurs would have played if it wasn't for players getting injured.  Roeder appears to have his blue eyed boys who are picked when fit, regardless of how they play, Duff being the best example, Carr being picked while s**** is another.

Proof.   :D

I could say "well done Mick" ....at least for now anyway ... for not getting sucked in after a few wins - but I won't....oh I just have.

Guest eyeball_tickler

Amen to the original poster.  I can't believe the backbone, fight, fire and spirit which Roeder has brought to the side.

me neither.