NFL 2021: Playoffs

@Shak Strange how much of your post found its way into the public domain. Feel like you don't often hear about folks' true draft intentions, even after the fact - because if you don't get "your guy" and that becomes known, it undermines the guy you did get.

9 hours ago, Shak said:

The upcoming QB class isn't drawing great reviews so that's not ideal. Ultimately he wasn't the final decision maker in Minnesota but in his time there the two first round QBs they drafted were Christian Ponder and Teddy Bridgewater so it seems his preference is for small, weak-armed, shite QBs.

So what would be your preferred QB phenotype/fit for the current team? Burly pocket-passer QB or more dual-threat...?

6 minutes ago, Shak said:

And fuck you for forcing me to root against the Bills FFS.

Perfectly likeable team ruined by you and your shite.

-Yes-.

N-O Bills Mafia ruined the Bills with their dick-swinging. [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, Beren said:

-Yes-.

N-O Bills Mafia ruined the Bills with their dick-swinging. [emoji38]

On the road against the Bucs and Pats for 2 of their next three and they're in a tricky spot all of a sudden.

Home games to come against Carolina, Atlanta and the Jets means they should get to 10 wins which I think will be enough.

Feels like the playoffs this year are gonna be all over the place. Nobody in the league who doesn't look capable of absolutely shitting themselves on any given week :lol:

59 minutes ago, Beren said:

@Shak Strange how much of your post found its way into the public domain. Feel like you don't often hear about folks' true draft intentions, even after the fact - because if you don't get "your guy" and that becomes known, it undermines the guy you did get.

So what would be your preferred QB phenotype/fit for the current team? Burly pocket-passer QB or more dual-threat...?

Yeah Elway's regime was very loose with their draft plans getting out. Pretty much everyone knew they were going Bolles in that draft and that they'd pick Jeudy if he was there. Several people in the media also called them trading down and taking Fant.

Surtain pick on the other hand caught most people by surprise, people thought it was QB or trade down. Apparently Dallas really wanted Surtain so they needed to keep it quiet to avoid getting jumped. So once again we foiled Jerry and once again he had to take his second choice. Micah Parsons, this time :lol:

1 hour ago, Beren said:

@Shak

Don't really mind, I do think the modern NFL necessitates that QBs be at least some sort of threat to extend plays with their legs but at the end of the day there'll come a point in the postseason where you have to make a big time throw from the pocket. I'd rather have a QB that we aren't calling multiple designed runs for every game, put it that way.

Fit for the current scheme isn't really important as I think there'll be a new OC this off-season. We've just paid two WRs in Sutton and Patrick big money and have two other high draft pick WRs (Jeudy and Hamler) on the roster so a QB who can take advantage of them would be nice.

Aye he is but aye it probably is :lol:

Gordon is a very good back too so it just makes sense to keep them both fresh and avoid putting more tread on the rookie's tyres in a season where they're not gonna contend.

I do think between the injury to Gordon and his play he'll get the slightly bigger workload of the two from here on but you're probably talking a 55-45 split.

Good news is that they're making a lot of noise about making running the ball the identity of the team for the rest of the year (which implies that it wasn't beforehand for some fucking reason) and between that and Teddy loving throwing to his RBs I think you've got a very viable starter ROS.

Next year with Gordon leaving he'll be the bell cow. Maybe sneakily change to dynasty?

1 hour ago, Beren said:

Who'd go first overall in a 1QB dynasty league now, Jonathan Taylor presumably? Haven't followed fantasy football at all this year, but I imagine WR is an utter pigsty.

Probs Taylor. As far as WR goes probably Jefferson in Dynasty I guess. Good rookies too - Jaylen Waddle, Elijah Moore, Jamarr Chase.

Reading that long ass Shak post about QBs and I'm even more certain that drafting a QB is pure lottery and more about the place and the system than the drafted QB's talents. The simplest example ever but no scout or GM in the league really wanted Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Dak or Cousins. I won't even try to name all the complete busts that every team seemed to absolutely love. :lol:

Edited by Pata

Feels like the one exception to that may be Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. He wasn't OC then, but he was an offensive coach and it definitely seems like Greg Roman had a pretty clear vision for him there, in terms of systems, to draft him in the first round.

Isn't that proving the rule of Pata's post rather than being an exception, Beren?

Agree with the basic premise there @Pata, just look at the last few years and the list of first round QBs that have been hugely successful.

Mahomes and Watson in 2017 and then Allen in 2018 were all traded up for by teams who'd made the playoffs the year before. Lamar fell to Baltimore who hadn't made the playoffs but had been consistently good under Harbaugh for a long time. Maybe the scouts were all wrong and these guys were always destined to be better than Trubisky, Darnold, Rosen, Daniel Jones and others that were top 10 picks, who knows?

Kyler and Herbert have bucked that trend a bit but Kyler is a clear example of a team knowing what type of QB they were drafting and hiring the right HC for him. Herbert is closer to being an exception but the Chargers definitely had a lot of talent on that offense for him and a scheme that was QB friendly at least.

But yeah, drafting a QB onto a really good roster does seem to be the way to go rather than taking a guy when you're shit and then hoping to build around him. Gives me some hope for Denver I guess.

• Tomato Deuce changed the title to NFL 2021: Playoffs