NFL 2022

Tomato Deuce

I wonder what the long term career outlook for Flores is, by the way?

I've seen some people say he could get blackballed like Kaepernick but I don't know, doesn't seem like the kind of polarising thing that people would want to stay away from?

Think it'll lead to the Rooney rule being replaced by something else, at least. I reckon something like teams being obliged to hire a minority HC at least once every three hires would be a good idea.

Would force teams to look very seriously at minority candidates every time they have an opening as you don't want to get to a point where you've hired two white men in a row and then be forced to only look at minority candidates next time you have an opening. Think guys like Demeco Ryans and Vance Joseph quite likely would have got a job this year with that in place.

By the way, if Flores can prove his allegation that the Fins owner offered him 100k per loss in the season he wanted to tank for Tua then that's a federal crime :lol:

I think Flores will get Kaepernick'd. It's a brave move from him.

Imagine being the second white coach in that "1/3 system" you've proposed, you could get away with murder in some states :lol:

6 minutes ago, Beren said:

I think Flores will get Kaepernick'd. It's a brave move from him.

Imagine being the second white coach in that "1/3 system" you've proposed, you could get away with murder in some states :lol:

It'll be a shame if he does because that defense and all the DB blitzing is a lot of fun to watch.

Was sort of hoping he'd get the job in New Orleans, think he could do some really cool things with the talent they have on D.

And maybe I'm being naive but I can't think off the top of my head of a franchise that immediately springs to mind when you say that the fanbase wouldn't accept a black head coach?

I think it's the owners. Ultimately when push comes to shove most old white rich men who all definitely voted for Trump aren't going to make hiring black HCs the norm until they're forced to.

Obviously my suggestion is a pretty loosely considered one but I'm sure somebody whose job it is to do so could come up with something more thoroughly thought out.

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

And maybe I'm being naive but I can't think off the top of my head of a franchise that immediately springs to mind when you say that the fanbase wouldn't accept a black head coach?

I'm not sure there'd be massive overt remonstration about any appointment, but I think they'd have less rope in some places than others - as I think Flores has in Miami. They were supposed to be the historically worst roster ever a few years back (I think they lost their opening two games by about 90 points or sommat), and he did a great job of coaching them up.

Then he's had two back-to-back winning seasons without a decent QB tbh (sorry Tua, your left-handed novelty wore off quick) and built a really fun and respectable D. I've got the hump about them getting rid of him :lol:

Wasn't having a go at your idea, btw - it's not bad, and immediately better than the Rooney rule, just also think it's ripe for farce comedy too.

Just double checked out of curiosity, Flores was fired with a record of 24-25.

Sean McDermott, prior to the emergency of Cam Newton 2.0, was was 25-24 in his first 49 games. He started off with a D that included the likes of Poyer, Hyde, and Tre' White. Arguably, you could differentiate that McDermott had one playoff game in there - but it was probably the single most depressing game I can remember, pre or postseason, a 10-3 loss to the Jags - where you just felt sad for everyone involved.

I know this is likely oversimplified but I can't recall McDermott ever being close to the chop, let alone actually being fired.

Shame we don't have a Dolphins fan about to disavow me of my unsubstantiated soapbox ranting.

I think it's widely acknowledged that Flores wasn't ditched for footballing reasons.

Think it all stems from his first season where the owner Ross wanted to tank for Tua (and allegedly was offered money to do so) and Flores obviously didn't go for that.

Then Burrow had his great season and became the obvious first pick for Cincinnati, meaning the Dolphins could still get Tua at 5. However, Flores didn't rate Tua at all and wanted them to draft Justin Herbert instead. Ross was still infatuated with Tua and pushed hard for him. The GM Chris Grier was the one who had the final call and sided with the owner, which then caused a rift between him and Flores which has just got worse and worse since then.

Flores has apparently not made much of a secret of the fact that he didn't want Tua and still didn't really rate him. The fact that Herbert has looked so good and Tua hasn't obviously reflects badly on the owner and GM so they got rid of Flores and are looking for a HC that will make Tua look good, which is likely why Kellen Moore or Mike McDaniel will get the job as they've got very QB friendly offenses.

Because I'm far too into the NFL for my own good :lol:

There's a nightly radio show in Denver that I listen to on Spotify the next day. It's about 2 hours once the ads have been edited out and it pretty much perfectly covers my commute each way and then walking the dogs.

It's mostly Broncos-centric but they talk about the rest of the league a fair bit too.

Apparently they all really liked Watson and had they been able to trade for him and send Tua the other way it would have kind of been a decent solution all around and mended some fences but that obviously didn't come together.

Elway’s statement :lol: 

While I was not planning to respond publicly to the false and defamatory claims by Brian Flores, I could not be silent any longer with my character, integrity and professionalism being attacked.

I took Coach Flores very seriously as a candidate for our head coaching position in 2019 and enjoyed our three-and-a-half hour interview with him. Along with the rest of our group, I was prepared, ready and fully engaged during the entire interview as Brian shared his experience and vision for our team.

It’s unfortunate and shocking to learn for the first time this week that Brian felt differently about our time with him.

For Brian to make an assumption about my appearance and state of mind early that morning was subjective, hurtful and just plain wrong. If I appeared “disheveled,” as he claimed, it was because we had flown in during the middle of the night—immediately following another interview in Denver—and were going on a few hours of sleep to meet the only window provided to us.

I interviewed Brian in good faith, giving him the same consideration and opportunity as every other candidate for our head coaching position in 2019.

Anthony Lynn is a great pick up for the 49ers in the run game. Can't think of a team who needed less help on that front, but hey ho, deprives another team of him, and a good fuck you to the rest of the league - especially if their OC goes.

• Beren changed the title to NFL 2021
On 05/02/2022 at 11:01, Beren said:

Anthony Lynn is a great pick up for the 49ers in the run game. Can't think of a team who needed less help on that front, but hey ho, deprives another team of him, and a good fuck you to the rest of the league - especially if their OC goes.

It's a smart move by Lynn too, if Lance is good and San Fran are a contender it'll really boost his chances of getting another HC gig.

Everyone in the NFL seems to want to run the wide zone Shanahan offense again. This cycle alone has seen Hackett, O'Connell and McDaniel get HC positions despite none of them being play callers for the offenses they were coordinating.

The 2013 Washington team had a hell of a staff under Mike Shanahan at HC.

Kyle Shanahan - OC

Matt LeFleur - QB coach

Sean McVay - TE coach

Mike McDaniel - WR coach.

All head coaches now.

Two of McVay's offensive coordinators since then are now also HCs, Zac Taylor and Kevin O'Connell.

Matt LeFleur's offensive coordinator the last few years Nathaniel Hackett is also a HC now.

Crazy number of current HCs from that system. There are also a few guys who've worked under the coaches above who are now offensive coordinators at other teams around the league, looking to install that offense.

Daboll and Wink Martindale - good coaching pick ups for the Giants. Plus Gettleman gone.

Giants good candidate for a last-to-first bet in a so-so division.

I don't think there's anything in the Kyler stuff, probably just some agent/PR nonsense.

Sounds like there's a decent chance Kamara is going to be in real trouble over this. If there are no criminal charges he might be able to give the guy he injured a shitload of money and settle. Apparently the video footage really isn't good for him though.

20 hours ago, Beren said:

Daboll and Wink Martindale - good coaching pick ups for the Giants. Plus Gettleman gone.

Giants good candidate for a last-to-first bet in a so-so division.

I dunno, their previous DC Patrick Graham had that defense playing really well last year so I'm not sure Martindale is going to be an upgrade even if he is good. He was DC in Denver for a year a while back and was shite so maybe I just have a bias against him though :lol:

I'll be interested to see how Daboll does outside of Buffalo. He gets a lot of credit for developing Josh Allen but the new OC in Buffalo Ken Dorsey is a very interesting one to watch.

He was brought in to Buffalo as QB coach at the start of Allen's second year and one year later Allen was a whole different QB.

His job before that was as QB coach in Carolina, where he oversaw Cam Newton's MVP season. Might be a coincidence but their OC at the time Mike Shula has been shite in both stops since.

For a guy who's only 40 years old Dorsey certainly has a pretty tasty track record in QB development.

• Rich changed the title to NFL 2022