The long form article thread II

thomas

Lost in Thought

The psychological risks of meditation

spacer.png

https://harpers.org/archive/2021/04/lost-in-thought-psychological-risks-of-meditation/

[...]

On the morning of the seventh day, Megan went outside to meditate alone under a tree. She had by now logged more than sixty hours of meditation. She wasn’t sure how long she sat there. “Time had slowed down,” she later wrote. The ferns and grasses were vibrating; they were made of vibrations, just as she was. Megan felt an exquisite serenity unlike any she had ever known. Tears came to her eyes. “I was so happy. I finally knew my place in the world. I was a child of the earth and I needed to share my joy.”

But hours later, Megan’s bliss dissipated. She became tired, then drained. She lay down on her bed and could not marshal the energy to get back up. The next meditation session was starting. She felt heavy, responsible for everything that was wrong in the world. Maybe I’m holy, she thought. Maybe I was put here to heal everyone. She forced herself upright and set her feet down on the floor.

Walking into the meditation hall, Megan looked at the rows of silent meditators, their eyes closed or staring vacantly at the wall. A surge of “immense fear” coursed through her body and she found herself panicking, unable to move. “I just zoned out into space,” she wrote later. “I can’t remember where I am. Who I am. What I’m doing here.” Then a torrent of dark thoughts came rushing in: Is it the end of the world? Am I dying? Why can’t I function or move? I can hear the Buddha now. He is telling me to meditate. I can’t, I’m so confused. Is this a test? Am I supposed to yell out “I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior?” What am I supposed to do? I am so confused.

Edited by panasonic farting robot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/10/how-the-fbi-discovered-a-real-life-indiana-jones-in-indiana

How the FBI Discovered a Real-Life Indiana Jones in, of All Places, Rural Indiana

qtBi45r.png

A 90-year-old amateur archaeologist who claimed to have detonated the first atomic bomb was also one of the most prolific grave robbers in modern American history.

13 hours ago, thomas said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/10/how-the-fbi-discovered-a-real-life-indiana-jones-in-indiana

How the FBI Discovered a Real-Life Indiana Jones in, of All Places, Rural Indiana

qtBi45r.png

A 90-year-old amateur archaeologist who claimed to have detonated the first atomic bomb was also one of the most prolific grave robbers in modern American history.

"Why are you taking all of my Indians?" is a helluva thing to come out with.

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Mike said:

Reading this while stroking the dog, drinking a coffee, and thinking about how to prune my roses. The part of me inside of me is sitting cross-legged in the corner of a padded room, rocking backwards and forwards and sobbing :lol:

As a wise man once said, “too much fucking perspective”.