Random thoughts thread

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

:lol: Fucking hell they banned it?

Not suitable for the female body and would cause infertility, etc., iirc. Same sort of thing with track and field and why they weren't allowed to play full-court basketball. Basically why we've got Title IX in the U.S., as expenditures on women's sports were something like a single-digit percentage of what was spent on men's sports at the time.  

Edited by B-more Mag

On 01/12/2021 at 00:46, thomas said:

I'd like to propose Tommy's Razor, a corollary to Hanlon's ("never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity") that goes - Never attribute to political correctness that which is adequately explained by greed.

I think that is perfect for the sudden rush to embrace 'diversity' among businesses.

9 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

I think that is perfect for the sudden rush to embrace 'diversity' among businesses.

It always looked really cringe and fake to me. These companies talked a big game about "diversity" and "inclusion" being core beliefs of their business but somehow they waited until 2021 to hire their first black/female/etc executives?

And 99% of the time it was as a "Chief Inclusion Officer" or "VP of Diversity". Which feels super fucking patronizing even to me as a white guy.

I'd love a public year-after campaign of people "following up" on those appointments with companies who clearly have done nothing about it but wanted to get in on the back patting. Still just the one non-white male exec on the board, you shameless fucks?

On 03/12/2021 at 14:01, Si said:

How is the post office counter service so unremittingly shit, staffed by the the product of an unholy union between an old tired cushion and a sloth.

When I worked on Baker Street, the local PO counter service had 8 available counters.

But every lunchtime when people were posting stuff during their break, there would be just 3 staffed, all with the slowest and unhappiest postal workers in Marylebone.

Every time. For 20 years.

On 03/12/2021 at 14:01, Si said:

How is the post office counter service so unremittingly shit, staffed by the the product of an unholy union between an old tired cushion and a sloth.

The one in the convenience store local to my work re-opened recently so I thought I'd save some time and drop our franked post down there.

That mistake lead me to needing to teach a member of staff the concept of post we'd already paid for in advance. 

All for laws that ban contacting people outside of work hours.

I can't remember where or when I read about it, but I do kind of buy into the theory that "casual" dress for work was invented - at least in part - as a psychological ploy to blur the lines between work and free time, i.e. If there is no "uniform" to work in, the lack of changing out of it at the end of the work day doesn't send a signal that work should stop. Sounds about evil enough to be right.