Do you want us to get relegated?

Rich

Do you want us to be relegated?  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to be relegated?

• Yes, because I don't believe the takeover is still alive
    • Yes, because while I believe the takeover is still alive I don't believe it'll happen
    • Yes, even though I believe the takeover is still alive and will happen
    • This poll is too complicated/I'm on the fence (post why)
    • No, even though I don't believe the takeover is still alive
    • No, even though I believe the takeover is still alive but don't believe it'll happen
    • No, because I believe the takeover is still alive and will happen
    • Honesty couldn’t give a fuck pal

I've been wondering about where everyone stands on this for a while now. In the middle of an international break is surely the best time to ask, too? Less emotive responses, etc.

Do you want us to get relegated?

I've tried to come up with three scenarios for each answer and an easy way out for those that can't say for certain, though I'm keen to hear why people are on the fence. Apologies if it takes a couple of read throughs. Tried to simplify it as much as possible.

My own personal view is yes, I do want us to get relegated, with my reasoning somewhere between 2 and 3. I've went for 2 for pessimism's sake.

I do believe the takeover is real/still ongoing but genuinely have no clue whether it'll go through or not. I believe our current best case scenario is for a relegation to happen and Ashley to take a massive hit on the sale price with the takeover still happening in the Championship. If the takeover isn't going happen either way, then Ashley and his cronies fully deserve another relegation on their record and the Championship was good crack the last couple of times...

Edited by Atticus
Is it "be relegated" or "get relegated"?

No.

At the end of the day I’m an NUFC supporter. I can’t wish against us. I don’t believe relegation would help us get rid of Ashley and would only help to weaken us, and if our takeover with PIF doesn’t go through, and another does I believe it will be to just another person wanting a club on the cheap to strike their ego rather than invest in us.

Voted no because I believe the takeover is alive and will happen. Although, I’m not sure I believe that. I think the takeover is alive and while there’s a chance I believe being in the Premier League is the best chance we have of it happening. 

I want Steve Bruce, Mike Ashley, many of the players and those fans who have enabled them to get relegated but not the club.

I know that doesn’t make sense and as such I tend to flip flop on what I think. My concern is that we’d be a long time gone and it’s not good for the city as a whole and that impacts me as a resident. Takeover doesn’t really come into it as I think that’s long gone.

As I posted the other day one of the main benefits of going down is that it’s hard to watch games so that could be fucked off.

Seen this discussed a few times now and I don't really get the timing. I know supporters who have happily clapped along and paid for tickets over the last decade, during which there has been ZERO hope with the fat cancer going nowhere.

At that stage, they should have hoped for relegation. But they didn't. Right now, even if you think the takeover is going to fail, is the only time in years we have any remote hope (no matter how small you think it is) of escaping to a club that can progress. And yet it is this moment they choose to see it burn down? Don't get that at all. 

I don’t know how to answer the poll really. The only thing I want is for Ashley to go and for this club to stop rotting. If relegation makes that more likely, I want us to go down. If it makes it less likely, I want us to stay up. The reality is, I don’t think it makes a difference either way so I’d probably prefer for us to just get relegated so I can care even less about the club 

Voted "No, even though I believe the takeover is still alive but don't believe it'll happen."

If the Saudi takeover does collapse and Ashley is still here then I'm done with football altogether, not just NUFC. But I don't want the club to be relegated as I'd still want people who choose to keep going to get some enjoyment out of it.

Having said that, if the club is relegated, the Saudi's are gone and Ashley still owns us then under no circumstances whatsoever would I want the club to be promoted again with him as owner. I'd want them to stay down until Ashley is gone, no matter how long it takes.

I’m ‘happy’ to see this happen as it’s evidence that Ashley’s method is incompatible with what is needed to be amongst the elite. Profits aside he’s an abject failure at growing a brand, club or positive business culture. Shame it has to be with us but given the way the premier league are also a complete racket - I also have no problem being back amongst proper clubs. I’m also wary of this Saudi stuff and it stinks of what the PL and the modern elite fans has to become. Shame it’s us caught up in it all.

The only reason why I'd vote 'yes' in this scenario would be if I felt strongly enough about Ashley et al getting what they deserve. Not long ago, I'd have been very much on that particular bandwagon. However, recently I feel like I've experienced the closest I'll ever get to vindication and certain individuals getting their just desserts (Bruce), and I can't say I've really got that much out of it. For years I've loathed being gaslit - being told we should be happy with our lot and/or satisfied with X, Y or Z - in many cases it's triggered me moreso than the individuals themselves. But I've learnt that, when vindication finally comes along, I'm still miserable. So on that basis, I no longer harbour the "I want it to burn cos it's what they deserve!" emotion with the same ferocity as I did even a few weeks ago. Ultimately it's a wasted emotion because, in comparison to actually feeling true support, we're talking about microscopic levels of satisfaction.

So with that in mind, the answer is "No" because I think the club is a more likely to be sold to a decent would-be owner if it's in the Premier League, certainly in the context of the current takeover, which I still think will happen assuming the arbitration process bears fruit. 

Don't want it to happen but when it does deserves MA right.

If going down was the way to get rid of MA and start again happy to go out the league tbh.

Just have no idea if staying up or going down is a better option for getting rid of the fat git. On balance we must be more attractive in the PL, but of course that depends on MA being serious about selling, accepting a serious and sensible offer etc etc...all the stuff we have been over a squillion times.

This relegation will be different from last ones I sense though...as in no immediate return 'guaranteed'.

No, relegation would be a disaster, regardless. I'm still of the mind that 'a' takeover will happen, but if we get relegated it'll be that much more unlikely because I can't see fatty accepting a lower price. Plus, the bigger fish, if there are any still out there, are far less likely to buy a Championship club over a Premiership club, we'd likely end up with a Sunderland type owner rather than a Saudi.