Choose your weapon

OpenC

I thought I'd already done this, but I might have just dreamed it.  A place to immortalise the greatest weapons in videogames, from the Doom shotgun to the cerebral bore in Turok :lol: 

I'm going to have two.  The Zweihander from Dark Souls will surprise nobody; so heavy and slow that you genuinely had to learn its timing or expect to be punished (not least when you got invaded; there were few invaders dull witted enough to get caught out by it and it was fairly hopeless in that circumstance) but when you had its timing down its combination of the wide sweep you got from a light attack and the stupendous overhand stunlock of the heavy attack were unmatched.  I know there are other aficionados, but there were some who preferred the iaito or the halberds, which is for them to justify :shifty:

I think my other would be the sniper rifle from the original Halo.  I've never been a massive fan of FPS games and I didn't really buy into the Halo hype, but for me an FPS stands and falls on how satisfying its shotguns and sniper rifles are to use.  The sniper rifle in Halo felt just absolutely right to me.  Might also help that I recall using it most at the start of Truth & Reconciliation which was a combination of satisfying level design, music and atmosphere.

Any favourites particularly worthy of note?  Any genre, any age.  Post videos if it'll help :)  Here is a beautiful example I recorded of, I think, the only time I ever beat an invader with the zwei :lol:

Edited by OpenC

Doom II: Super Shotgun. The power. The noise. The gibbing. Pure awesomeness.

Counter Strike: AWP. Again raw power wins out here. Pinging someone from across the map with this thing and one shotting them felt so good.

Perfect Dark: Farsight. It shoots people through walls. What more do you want?

Super Metroid: Plasma Beam & Screw Attack. More low key perhaps than other examples but the Plasma Beam is Samus' most powerful beam in terms of raw damage output. It also pierces enemies for extra awesome. The Screw Attack on the other hand is just broken. It turns jumping itself into an instant kill on pretty much all non-boss enemies. Randomizer runs where you get either of these early trivialises the game and it's so fun.

Mario Kart: Blue Shell. We all hate it. But it wouldn't be the Mario Kart we know and love without the blue shell.

Final Fantasy VII: Ultima Weapon. My first FF ultimate weapon. Pretty much a guaranteed 9999 against anything. Combine with 4xCut and watch everything get destroyed.

Might think of more later :)

Edited by Cf
fuck off

3 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Half Life 2 Gravity Gun 

All I can remember from Half Life is the shitty fuckin Bee gun or whatever it was called. Absolutely mortifying playing multiplayer HL and having to use that. Hitting a well timed shot with the crossbow however :sweetjesus:

No the best weapons but the ones I enjoyed using or abused in the games. 

Kar 98 - Call of Duty (OG one)
AK47 - CS 1.6 onward
Laser and Plasma rifles from Fallout 3 onward
Lincoln's Repeater - Fallout 3, so satisfying
Akimbo 1887 shotguns - Modern Warfare, so broken but so fun to use. 

RPG - Any game, honorary mention to any sort of rocket/nade launcher in games. Mainly as its hilarious to see peoples reaction to you killing them with these weapons. 

Not sure if this counts cos it was RNG but on Destiny 2 one of the first bows I got had traits that made the arrows explosive and had on headshots created a cluster explosion that then chain reactioned to anyone near the target. 

It was ridiculous for diving into a room of mobs, whipping a perfect headshot into the first one you saw and just watching the chaos as everyone in there exploded one by one. 

I kept that bow long after it was too underleveled to be useful and spent way too many materials on trying to keep it relevant. 

The Graviton Lance would be a close second to it for having much the same functionality but not having the cool factor of being a bow. 

11 hours ago, Troll said:

Kratos's axe is the most satisfying one I've ever used.  Blades of Chaos were great too.

Or the Groovitron from Ratchet and Clank.

Think the axe and blades are up there for me, too. I'm usually a bow fan when there's the option, enjoyed Horizon a lot for that reason.

12 hours ago, Troll said:

Kratos's axe is the most satisfying one I've ever used.  Blades of Chaos were great too.

Or the Groovitron from Ratchet and Clank.

Kratos axe is a good shout :thup:

15 hours ago, Adam said:

No the best weapons but the ones I enjoyed using or abused in the games. 

Kar 98 - Call of Duty (OG one)
AK47 - CS 1.6 onward
Laser and Plasma rifles from Fallout 3 onward
Lincoln's Repeater - Fallout 3, so satisfying
Akimbo 1887 shotguns - Modern Warfare, so broken but so fun to use. 

RPG - Any game, honorary mention to any sort of rocket/nade launcher in games. Mainly as its hilarious to see peoples reaction to you killing them with these weapons. 

Great shout on the Kar. I absolutely hammered it on COD2. Was unstoppable. :lol:

I find this thread really baffling my brain, because I've played so many games and enjoyed so many weapons, yet I'm getting a serious case of my mind going blank trying to recall them!

Turoks Cerebral bore is pure grimdark filth. 

I absolutely love the Battle Rifle from Halo 2. It's perfect, and nothing felt as good as pulling off a bxr melee headshot combo! 

The plasma pistol is a close second, as long as you had a pistol in reserve. 

Its not a gun but nothing is as satisfying as a stick with a plasma grenade.

Basically, halo 2. 

Edited by La Parka

3 hours ago, Froggy said:

Great shout on the Kar. I absolutely hammered it on COD2. Was unstoppable. :lol:

Tbf it's unstoppable in most WW2 games, if you miss though it's game over. So satisfying nailing shots with bolt action. 

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Tbf it's unstoppable in most WW2 games, if you miss though it's game over. So satisfying nailing shots with bolt action. 

This was when I played on PC. Hopeless with it on the console. :lol:

• Rich changed the title to Choose your weapon