Burnley 1-2 Newcastle United - post-match reaction from pg24

Yorkie

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He’s playing out of position, neutralising almost everything he’s good at. 

There's a player there and it's taken awhile for him to show anything in a Newcastle shirt but he's had some good moments this season. He's just far to inconsistent and has really shit moments too. 

Just hope though that this club turns a corner and we no longer need to rely on players like Murphy playing out of position and can push on post Ashley 🤞

7 minutes ago, Abra Dubravka said:

Aside from his goal thought Murphy was atrocious. Barely anywhere near McNeil all game and gave ball away aimlessly every chance he could. 

Don’t buy this at all. He put in several good crosses, his pace was useful and was always going to get a tough game from their best player. He was a wing-back also with three CBs so naturally I expect less from him defensively. 

Also think Longstaff had a much better second half than given credit for. 

Edited by St. Maximin

6 minutes ago, GWN said:

Torn, hate Bruce with everything I have but by god I liked the winner hitting the back of the net .

We were utter shite for most of that game, ASM shows he can keep a team up on his own over a season.

Stays fit and we will always be ok.When we have ALL our good players 100% this team is mid table easily, no credit to the manager mind .Its the god awful Championship plodders that we need to ditch but nope have a new contract .Rancid

Every word of this.

Aye I'm pleased for Murphy. He can't have been anywhere close to happy with how his NUFC career has gone up to this point, which is sad for him seeing as it's his boyhood club. I'm still not convinced he'll ever be good enough for a team with aspirations of anything other than avoiding relegation, but he's turned into quite an important player this season, with some crucial contributions. Fair play to him. 

4 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

I think this system works best for us currently, especially with hard-working wing-backs and the ASM-Wilson-Almiron front three.

Dunno. Almiron is marginalised in this formation, and ASM is normally much worse playing in the middle.

Obviously just having those 3 players makes us much better, no matter what else we do. 

Wonder if they go back to the Jones formation once wilson and ASM are fit to start. Certainly suited Almiron more but if we have to sacrifice that just to grind out some results to stay up then so be it. 

Guest reefatoon

I frightened myself with how much I celebrated that second goal. Didn’t think I had that kind of investment left anymore. Feel fucking filthy.

20 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

I frightened myself with how much I celebrated that second goal. Didn’t think I had that kind of investment left anymore. Feel fucking filthy.

This.  Wasn't that arsed when Willock scored last week but I went fucking nuts when the second went in, and again at the final whistle.

For me, it's now all about staying up by whatever means possible, and then keeping everything crossed that that the takeover somehow goes through. 

Guest HTT II

Fucking hell a win...

I was out during the game watching my boy play and one of the dads said we were 1-0 down and switched his phone off, got home and saw that we actually fucking win a game. Huge win to be honest, I feel 4 more points will ensure safety for another year to crown a great achievement for Ashley and Bruce before we go again next season. 

I'll be honest, I hate the rancid piece of lard in the dugout and have felt I was fully removed from this "football club" but ASM had me off my seat today and I wasn't even fully watching the game, I celebrated both those goals, damn you St Max!

At this point I just want us to stay up and hope that something materialises in the takeover front, I can't be invested in this pointless club as is.

2 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Don’t buy this at all. He put in several good crosses, his pace was useful and was always going to get a tough game from their best player. He was a wing-back also with three CBs so naturally I expect less from him defensively. 

Also think Longstaff had a much better second half than given credit for. 

He needed to he started the match terribly. But he kept running tbf, and got better the longer the game went. 

1 hour ago, Ketsbaia said:

I think this system works best for us currently, especially with hard-working wing-backs and the ASM-Wilson-Almiron front three.

We were fucking awful man :lol:

Would still want to see 4231, with ASM Almiron and Fraser/Murphy behind Wilson. Willock and Longstaff in midfield, Manquillo right back. The rest I don't really care about, they are about as good as each other. 

58 minutes ago, Nobody said:

We were fucking awful man :lol:

Would still want to see 4231, with ASM Almiron and Fraser/Murphy behind Wilson. Willock and Longstaff in midfield, Manquillo right back. The rest I don't really care about, they are about as good as each other. 

I would like to see this as well as long as Willock and Longstaff can maintain some discipline holding 

Burnley were one dimensional. Dyche would go on to be hated if he were manager here, no doubt about that.

Once we figured out not to leave that right back role vacant like we did in the lead up to their goal, they were left with lobbing long balls into the box for the rest of the game. I’d be furious if I were a Burnley supporter. We were rank, totally there for the taking. Should have been out of sight long before ASM and Wilson came on.

Good win though, not quite safe yet but Fulham must be fearing the worst now,