Players We Saw Way Too Much Of

Astroblack

8 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Shelvey, Alan Smith, Colback, Hendrick.

We have had some horrific midfield play in the Ashley era.

I remember Dyer, Jenas, Parker, Emre, Tiote, Milner getting loads of stick on here. Million miles above the shit we've endured since. That Arsenal lad is a breath of fresh air. He's no better than Jenas was for us but seeing a midfielder that can run, with a first touch and some ability is a rare combination for us these days. Hayden's a bit of a clogger too but he's as good as we've had since Cabaye. We used to criticise Cabaye's athleticism, Shelvey makes him look like Patrick Vieira.

Endless list in recent years really. Shola’s the one who springs to mind, Dummett, Smith, Butt, any number of shites.

Dummett has partly redeemed himself through becoming a semi-useful squad player, but only just. And I am aware Shola cared about the club and tried his best. But both should’ve been peddled a lot earlier. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Shola is definitely number one. I can understand persevering with him a bit when he was younger but he should have been booted out by at least 2007 (he had that brief spell under Roeder in 2006 where he looked ok before getting injured). He was here for another seven years after that fgs. 

You bloody Shola haters! He was the mackem slayer ffs

Old Shola was so impossibly slow tbf [emoji38]  and his daisy cutters were like goddam snails.

I'll gonna go for Jenas. Reckon him being Vieira mk II was debunked very early
and a top class replacement with a bit more presence in midfield could have made a huge difference to that team.

Another thread idea there, which one player would you move to a different era for most success. Peak Tiote with Solano, Robert and Dyer would have been hot shit.

Joelinton, Rivière, Cacapa, one game should have been the limit for them 3. Could name quite a few from late 70’s early 80’s but we were dogshit so wouldn’t be fair, ............fuck it, Billy Askew, played a belter for Hull against us and we bought the gonk. He was supposed to be a bit of a coup 😂.

1 hour ago, SEMTEX said:

Certain players benefited from us going down. They garnered some level of forgiveness/usefulness by being reasonable in a shit league.

I mean: Gouffran (127), Simpson (137), Anita (155!), Butt (173), all went back and forth between being total shit or exceptionally mediocre. Robbie Elliott managed 188 appearances for us, and quite obviously shouldn't have been with us 2nd time around. He seemed mediocre first time around but my memory is hazy of such a time.

Didn't have a problem with Elliot like? Decent squad player brought back on a free, thought he did alright, unless I'm misremembering

I do have affection for Shola, but aye he's right up there. For him to still be picking up so many games well after proving his limitations was a real sign of the club's demise. Afraid I'd put Dwight Gayle there now too. I appreciate him for his contribution in the promotion season, and he did alright first year up - but think it's quite sad he's still getting games now, we both should've moved on.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

I remember trying to big up (no pun intended :shifty:) Anita on here a lot because I had this idea that he would become our next Cabaye [emoji38] Technically he was decent enough as you'd expect from a former Ajax product but yeah he was just a nothing player really

Edited by Chicane

36 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Didn't have a problem with Elliot like? Decent squad player brought back on a free, thought he did alright, unless I'm misremembering

I do have affection for Shola, but aye he's right up there. For him to still be picking up so many games well after proving his limitations was a real sign of the club's demise. Afraid I'd put Dwight Gayle there now too. I appreciate him for his contribution in the promotion season, and he did alright first year up - but think it's quite sad he's still getting games now, we both should've moved on.

Just seemed to be a lot of appearances for someone who was clearly not good enough to start for a PL side.

25 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I liked Anita but I don’t remember getting much agreement :lol:

I didn't mind him / thought there was potential, but 155 appearances? Both parties should've moved on about 80 appearances prior to that I reckon.

Considering the years before where we mainly used Hughes and Griffin, Carr was a massive upgrade to the right back position. He got old quick though and he definitely got one more season that he should have. Was a massive relief when Beye replaced him.