Players We Saw Way Too Much Of

Astroblack

3 hours ago, Smal said:

Yeah, never had any animosity for Williamson at all. Wasn’t his fault he was grossly overused and he obviously put everything into it that he could.

I do because he followed a boom bust cycle based on his own opinion of himself. When he was just hoofing everything out of defence and being a stopper he was fine. Not world beating but as a limited defender he did the job well.

But then he'd put together a run of games doing that and his head would inflate to the point where he thought he could actually play football. He'd start trying to do all this fancy shit like controlling the ball or dribbling and obviously would shit the bed spectacularly for a few games then go back to being a hoofer.

Steven Taylor. He was an absolute shambles of a defender who got by on showing a bit of heart and throwing himself about. The type of player who makes you wince when you see him on the team sheet.

Edited by The Prophet

2 hours ago, Boo Boy said:

Shola

Colback (should never have been signed and every game was a stain on the club!)

Butt

Duff

KFD

He wasn't as bad as some make out on here but being an ex mackem and ginger he was always onto a loser.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Steven Taylor. He was an absolute shambles of a defender who got by on showing a bit of heart and throwing himself about. The type of player who makes you wince when you see him on the team sheet.

Although Shola is close, Taylor is probably the right answer. Absolute joke. 

Guest HTT II
8 hours ago, Holmesy said:

I have no doubt he was a great pro and a really nice lad, how else would he have got in and stayed in the team?! He always came across well, but he was about as far from a PL CB as i've seen anywhere. 

Seeing his name on the team sheet week after week was one of the most depressing sights i've witnessed as a fan of this club because you knew we were going to concede - it was an absolute given. We've had some shit at the back but Taylor, Boumsong, Bramble etc. all had far more ability than Williamson for me.

Glad to hear he's doing well and enjoyed his time here though 

Aye he was very limited, my boy has been at their Easter summer footy camp the last few days and thanks to my good mate who is practically Mr Gateshead these days he got all the players to sign a ‘Heed kit for him, he was over the moon and Williamson by all accounts has been great with the kids. Not a bad player, but just never good enough for our level or rather where we should have been at. A decent pro though so no hard feelings from me. He really does come across as a top-class person and I, delighted he’s settled here in the NE and loved his time at the club. He’s a good egg/pro :thup:

20 hours ago, The Janitor said:

Anyone said Robert yet?

Went at the right time. Not often we sign a player in their peak, we got the 3 of the best years of his career. He’d just turned 30 when he left. Was probably the right time for him to go regardless of the fact Souness was the one that finished him.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Might be harsh but Harper. Don’t think he should have been number 1 our first season back up (Krul still got some games due to injury). Could arguably have let Krul have a run end of our Championship winning season once promotion was secure. Think Krul was the better of the two even then.

5 hours ago, toon25 said:

Alan Smith up front in the Fat Sam era was fucking lifting.

He got a fair few games at CM in the Champo as well didn’t he?

Ruined as a footballer by Fergie

He played 32 times that champ season (all in mid I'd think). Tbf to him I've always just thought he must've had something I couldn't see for Hughton to see him as important and have him as captain often - something in the dressing room. In the champ I don't remember him making mistakes a lot but just being anonymous in what was a dominant team.