Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

28 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If arsenal beat wba and Burnley beat Fulham that’s it all over for everyone, aye?

Yes. Good. Perfect space to watch the mackems fall in the playoffs.

The reality is - relegation has just never been on the cards. The worst it got was Brighton but even then we were clear of the relegation zone and with a game in hand. I'm using hindsight here, granted, because for all my certainty earlier in the season, my position did change and at one point I thought it could go either way. But from the moment ASM re-entered the fray, it was over. That five minute spell at Burnley was a huge turning point; probably the most significant 180 since stoppage time at home to Norwich in the Championship. 

Mind, we probably wouldn't have even needed ASM given Willock's form and with Wilson waiting in the wings.

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

The reality is - relegation has just never been on the cards. The worst it got was Brighton but even then we were clear of the relegation zone and with a game in hand. I'm using hindsight here, granted, because for all my certainty earlier in the season, my position did change and at one point I thought it could go either way. But from the moment ASM re-entered the fray, it was over. That five minute spell at Burnley was a huge turning point; probably the most significant 180 since stoppage time at home to Norwich in the Championship. 

Mind, we probably wouldn't have even needed ASM given Willock's form and with Wilson waiting in the wings.

Your lucky you felt positive about our position….for me I’ve been on a knife edge right up to yesterday, even though we were 9 points clear…..I’ve never trusted Bruce to be able to get the players to perform if Fulham started to win games.IMO things changed after Brighton and I don’t think Bruce had anything to do with it.I’m convinced that the players put in that performance because they hoped/thought Bruce would be sacked on the basis of that performance.When Ashley then came out and said Bruce is staying, I believe the players got together and decided to forget their grievances and start to perform. Bruce should never be given any credit for the resurgence and “manager of the month”….you’ve got to be kidding😜

Edited by Jinky Jim

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

When Fulham were ahead against Villa, relegation was definitely on the cards. We looked like we weren't getting another point all season, and Fulham looked better than previously. 

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

The week Fulham failed to beat Burnley and West Brom in consecutive games it became clear they were in an enormous amount of trouble. It was shortly after we'd brought Jones in. That was the turning point for me. 

Don't get me wrong relegation was an ever present threat, especially with injuries mounting up and Bruce at the helm, but Fulham have never really kicked on. It was never for the want of trying either, they just lack the required quality in the final third.

A few weeks back I thought we'd stay up thanks to a below par bottom three, but we've somehow scraped together 39 points. That would keep us in the division a majority of seasons. I think we have a much better attack than people give us credit for, they're just held back by incompetent management.

Thought we were nailed on to go down after Brighton. Been quite the turnaround with the return of key players and Willock bailing us out. Got results against some good sides too. 

I was very concerned we’d end up with a last day showdown at Fulham, which I don’t think my heart could’ve took tbh [emoji38]

The Fulham injury-time defeat against Wolves was when it started to turn in our favour. They’d have went above us if they’d won and that was only 4-5 games ago. We then went to Burnley and won. We’ve went on the run Fulham needed.

If we'd lost every single game after the Brighton debacle (i.e. another 7 defeats on the bounce) we still wouldn't even be in the relegation zone ffs. Sure, the form of some players has rendered the finale with Fulham redundant, but our relegation fight has been taken entirely out of our hands. It was never happening. 

Once again, happy to admit that I'm relying on hindsight to form these conclusions; it's not intended as a 'told you so'.