Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

I see a McClaren situation happening tbh. He'll hang on long enough to condemn us to relegation but fuck off and not take any responsibility for it a handful of games before the season ends.

Edited by Chicane

Just now, Chicane said:

I see a McClaren situation happening tbh. He'll hang on long enough to condemn us to relegation but fuck off and not take any responsibility for it.

I can too given the Ashley-Charnley nightmare team but it didn't turn against McClaren on a big scale until around February time. The full grounds and away sections are against Bruce from the off.

If you look at who youd expect to be in the mix its Norwich, Burnley, Us, Southampton, Palace, Watford, Wolves and Brentford. You could question (with Bruce as manager) if we're better than any of the others apart from Norwich. We're going to hope Wilson and ASM play 30+ games each.

10 minutes ago, Leek said:

If you look at who youd expect to be in the mix its Norwich, Burnley, Us, Southampton, Palace, Watford, Wolves and Brentford. You could question (with Bruce as manager) if we're better than any of the others apart from Norwich. We're going to hope Wilson and ASM play 30+ games each.

We’ve played three of them so far this season (all at home) and have a cup exit and one point to show for it.

Unless we somehow miraculously take points from the better sides, we’re in deep shit.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Leeds will probably be in the mix cos of second season syndrome, is my scientific analysis. 

Broken record but I've zero doubt that we'll be absolutely fine providing one of ASM/Wilson feature in at least 50% of matches. If we're without both of them for most of the season we might not scab enough of those points, but then again we might. 

3 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

We'll be alright tbh just enough individual quality to keep us "ticking along" - it was enough in 19/20 (Dubravka + ASM mainly) and 20/21 (Willock, Wilson) and so long as Ashley's here it's alright for him and Bruce

Depends if the players are still up for it. Some of them seem to be going through the motions, our tactics are confused which is probably demoralising for the players. Bruce has a history of diminishing returns with every season at former clubs. Most of the squad are probably hoping he gets sacked.

Norwich apparently dead and buried according to most, but they’re still one win away from matching us.

They’ve also played Everton, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal in their opening games.

Only difficult match we’ve had is Man Utd.

If Bruce was sacked we’d comfortably finish mid table with the squad we have. If he remains, I wouldn’t bet much on us finishing above Norwich.

With a decent manager we should be comfortably mid table with this squad. A decent manager and some proper investment we should be pushing for the top half of mid table (not the top 4, they are light years ahead of us and everyone else) and a go at the cups. 

His time here is almost exactly matching his time down the road, slowly circling the plug hole, he was sacked in November and they survived by bringing a manager that knew how to put a team out, he has to go but I think we all know he won't.

It’s no less than this club deserve tbh, I mean that without particular venom - just in line with the usual pattern. Celebrating individual PR victories like a goal or a late draw or a win for a smug yes man to hang their hat on for 5 minutes and never seeing the bigger picture. That’s NUFC in a nutshell. That thinking will only ever lead to one outcome however attritionally and drawn out - it is inevitable. That’s what will happen and Bruce the superfan will have played his wilfully ignorant part in that. Let’s see how Saudi interest/non-interest factors at that point.

We will go down this season unless Bruce gets sacked ASAP and a decent manager comes in, and if we do, we won’t be coming back up for a long while.

36 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We will go down this season unless Bruce gets sacked ASAP and a decent manager comes in, and if we do, we won’t be coming back up for a long while.

I don't even think it will need a top manager either, pretty much anyone with an ounce of knowledge of setting up a team and tactical wherewithal will give the team the desired bounce. Bruce has stunk the place out, someone just needs to open a window.

Are we really mid table on paper though? Starting eleven you could argue, but there’s a real lack of depth in the squad with too many Championship players. Lose Wilson and ASM to injury (inevitable) and we have Gayle and Joelinton playing. Wouldn’t say there’s enough depth elsewhere either tbh. 

Given the injuries we had 12th was an overachievement last year. We just happened to be terrible for most of the season and over-reliant on luck. Those things can’t last forever. 

Edited by St. Maximin

31 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Are we really mid table on paper though? Starting eleven you could argue, but there’s a real lack of depth in the squad with too many Championship players. Lose Wilson and ASM to injury (inevitable) and we have Gayle and Joelinton playing. Wouldn’t say there’s enough depth elsewhere either tbh. 

Given the injuries we had 12th was an overachievement last year. We just happened to be terrible for most of the season and over-reliant on luck. Those things can’t last forever. 

I'm not going to go through every team individually, but what if you took their two best (and key) players out? I'd imagine the top 6 or 7 clubs might not suffer as much, but it would have an impact. Which PL clubs actually have depth in every area? I'd argue Man City and Chelsea are the only two.

I still think about 5.5 or 6. Slightly more likely to go down, and obviously we will if current form continues. But based on a couple of recent improvements in performance, you add Wilson and we might have picked up more points. Remember a point per game keeps you up comfortably (usually), that's basically a win per month. 

15 hours ago, Shearergol said:

I'm not going to go through every team individually, but what if you took their two best (and key) players out? I'd imagine the top 6 or 7 clubs might not suffer as much, but it would have an impact. Which PL clubs actually have depth in every area? I'd argue Man City and Chelsea are the only two.

While I agree on losing key players and would say only a few teams have significant depth, the back-up players of weaker teams look like far more competent Premier League players than our options like Gayle, Joelinton, Hendrick, Clark etc. Even Brighton, for example, were in a similar position to us last year and had nobody at ASM’s level, but I’d say far more reliable options across the field and on the bench when they beat us 3-0. The likes of Burnley and Southampton have several striker options even if they aren’t the best etc. Then even when we have a strong starting XI, it’s a pretty underwhelming selection of options off the bench at the best of times. 

Edited by St. Maximin