Still not worthy of a thread: Chat edition

BlueStar

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Its just a charva by another name. 

Still got your ear to the ground then, you charva sympathiser.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

He’s saying they evolved in to roadmen. Guess it’s a London/south east perspective.

Always assumed roadmen were just the black alternative to chav/whatever.

56 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

I think they are slightly different. I mean there are white road men.

Think roadman implies you’d be involved in certain activities and certain lifestyle. Charver can just be any working class kid in a tracksuit. 

But I don’t really know. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I knew someone in the NW media who spent a lot of time on the Rhys Jones murder. Police knew who fired the gun within hours but it took months to find people willing to speak out. Probably the same case here.

Edited by Matt

7 hours ago, Darth Crooks said:

It's from prison slang - out of nick is 'on the road' - I always used to catch Y10 lads from Cambs saying it in my classes. Which I found funny.

Not 100% on this, somebody had to explain to me what roadman meant a couple of weeks ago and I've worked in a prison for quarter of a century :lol: might be a southern prison thing but I have never heard a lad on his way back to Walkergate or Benwell saying he's on the road

I thought the implication of roadman was that they were the people sent to work on the roads, ie the lowest level members of criminal gangs, selling small deals directly to users on the streets, moving gear around and robbing people.

23 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

I thought the implication of roadman was that they were the people sent to work on the roads, ie the lowest level members of criminal gangs, selling small deals directly to users on the streets, moving gear around and robbing people.

Pretty much how it originated in London I think - and it's become more tied to the aesthetic as time has gone on.

Edited by ElDiablo

Just now, Darth Crooks said:

It’s definitely prison slang and may be regional - worked in Cambs and Peterborough prisons about 10 years ago and it was what a lot the Brum and London lads in particular were spouting.

The titration of its utterance to wee lads in year 7-10 in schools is the most interesting part.

The linked phrase is being ‘on road’ like on the streets, doing illegal things to make money. I don’t know if the streets > road thing is the origin or if it’s linked to the prison slang too. 

I’ve obviously only heard it in music, which is probably also the case for all those kids. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Going to see Phantom of the Opera tonight. Anyone ever seen it? :dontknow:

Lion King was badass, so I have high hopes.

Yeah we saw it a few years ago in London, it was fun. Not a clue what was going on, like, but the music was good. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Going to see Phantom of the Opera tonight. Anyone ever seen it? :dontknow:

Lion King was badass, so I have high hopes.

Phantom is class :thup:. Saw it the first time in NYC, had goosebumps throughout and I would hardly call myself a regular cultured theatre goer :lol: