3D Printing

BlueStar

Got a 3D printer (Ender 3 Pro) for my birthday so playing with that.  My first print was spaghetti.  Turns out you have to "level the bed".  Printing some dog thing now which looks more promising.

On 08/04/2021 at 22:44, BlueStar said:

Got a 3D printer (Ender 3 Pro) for my birthday so playing with that.  My first print was spaghetti.  Turns out you have to "level the bed".  Printing some dog thing now which looks more promising.

Thought I had this sorted, printed three or four things which were great, then tried to print a few larger and more complex things and found some bits were coming free loose.  Everything I've tried to sort it has just steadily made things worse till now I just can't get anything to stick at all, if anything even comes out the nozzle.  Even bought a 20 quid glass plate and if anything it's sticking less to that than the default one.  Been levelling, releveling, changing bed temperature in Cura,, nozzle temperature, making the first layer super slow, or hotter, just not getting anywhere.

I have a wee file you can run before a print. It uses the paper technique but the results are always sweet as it's repeatable. It runs to all the corners and you can set it before continuing. I also have another little file that'll print a mesh, quickly, to show the squash.

Also, and most importantly, I wipe down with Isopropyl spray (99.9%) before any print. 

I have an Ender 5 Pro and printed brackets to make the bed more stable. They took foreeeeeever! 

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

I have a wee file you can run before a print. It uses the paper technique but the results are always sweet as it's repeatable. It runs to all the corners and you can set it before continuing. I also have another little file that'll print a mesh, quickly, to show the squash.

Also, and most importantly, I wipe down with Isopropyl spray (99.9%) before any print. 

I have an Ender 5 Pro and printed brackets to make the bed more stable. They took foreeeeeever! 

is that this one?  Tried that and it immediately crashed the nozzle into my glass plate cos I hadn't changed the z-axis :lol:  Wondering if that knacked the nozzle.  The defaults in Cura seem to be 200 for PLA but all my rolls of PLA seem to suggest 210-230.  Not sure if I need the bed hotter or colder, seems to be so many variables.  Try it and stuff flies off everywhere (can tell by the skirt getting dragged around it's not gonna work) so I think I've levelled it too low, level it higher and nothing comes out cos it's touching the bed.

Ah the first month of owning a 3d printer is just absolute hell and regret. But then you print a canny lookin pug and all is well. 

I only just found out that I’m not supposed to print in PETG on my smooth print bed. Rip print bed. 

5 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

is that this one?  Tried that and it immediately crashed the nozzle into my glass plate cos I hadn't changed the z-axis :lol:  Wondering if that knacked the nozzle.  The defaults in Cura seem to be 200 for PLA but all my rolls of PLA seem to suggest 210-230.  Not sure if I need the bed hotter or colder, seems to be so many variables.  Try it and stuff flies off everywhere so I think I've levelled it too low, level it higher and nothing comes out cos it's touching the bed.

Yeh, that looks about right. Just looked for it and can't find it. Might be on the card, in the machine, which isn't with me. 

I honestly can't remember my temps. It was last year when I last used it. I'd heat the bed up to a certain temp before the printing temp. Can't remember right now, so that's no use to you :lol: 

If you're crashing the Z-axis...just under level it and bring it up using that file. 

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Yeh, that looks about right. Just looked for it and can't find it. Might be on the card, in the machine, which isn't with me. 

I honestly can't remember my temps. It was last year when I last used it. I'd heat the bed up to a certain temp before the printing temp. Can't remember right now, so that's no use to you :lol: 

If you're crashing the Z-axis...just under level it and bring it up using that file. 

That's by manually moving up the little switch is hits when it homes, yeah?  I'm seeing people putting pritstick or hairspray on it to make it stick to the bed, which seems like a rather inelegant solution.  Can't even get the glass plate off now to try and go back to the magnetic one, seems to have welded in place.

I always had good adhesion, but sometimes, near the end of a print, edges would start to lift. I considered Magigoo...which is likely just expensive Pritstick. 

I should really get it over and set it back up.

Found the factory reset so I'm going back to just trying out the default files that came on the card. Printed a cool disc golf marker disc the other day which came out canny.

u7p0bY3.jpeg

My lass was less impressed when I printed and painted this, but I always wanted one as a kid.  Probably best I never got round to applying though.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3580147

21 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

Ah the first month of owning a 3d printer is just absolute hell and regret. But then you print a canny lookin pug and all is well. 

I only just found out that I’m not supposed to print in PETG on my smooth print bed. Rip print bed. 

you do a gun yet

On 12/04/2021 at 14:24, Tomato Deuce said:

you do a gun yet

no but I’m somewhat tempted for the challenge. 

I feel like the 3D printer losers could do with their own thread to post the stupid shit they’ve printed...  but... 

I printed a tiny millennium falcon to encase my work rfid door fob. This is what 3d printing is all about bros.

UiJiDqH.jpg

Printed a vase for my lass.  Sure she'd have preferred just to not have listened to whirring coming from the loft all night when she was trying to sleep.

3B6Thl7.jpg

And all this stuff

ewO0Zyu.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-makerc76c0dc5290a8983.gif

After some experimentation, the trick for print adhesion is not to spend ages meticulously levelling your bed, it's just to spaff a load of Pritt Stick on it before you set it going

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:lol: The Jim'll Fix It badge.

Can you mix colours in the printing or do you paint them after to get different colours?

Paint them after, although best to spray with a primer first. Or you can print individual pieces in different colours and assemble them, or do a filament swap midway through. That works best on a sign with raised letters, where you can time it so you pause the print when the base is done and then swap in black or whatever 

The vase was done with a roll of "rainbow" filament that changes colour as it goes along. 

I've been using PLA and PETG. PLA seems to be more environmentally friendly, but PETG can be used outdoors. PETG adheres to your print bed like a motherfucker. Looks like bluestar has experimented far more with the changing colours and shit. I'm assuming that blue shell is painted otherwise he's a magician.

On 18/04/2021 at 23:09, BlueStar said:

or do a filament swap midway through. That works best on a sign with raised letters, where you can time it so you pause the print when the base is done and then swap in black or whatever 

Tried this out when printing a drinks coaster the other day, tried adding a line in the gcode using Cura for it to pause on a certain level, but that didn't seem to work. So just watched until it just started printing the dragon logo, paused it and swapped in a roll of black filament.

pTRUPuk.jpg

• Rich changed the title to 3D Printing