Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United - 24/04/21

Disco

6 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Shelvey should have just played a one-two with the advertising board to create space. You're allowed to do that as long as its a one touch pass. 

Or crossed his fingers and called skinchies.

Really surprised myself today, realised that my lifelong hatred of Liverpool and more recently Klopp actually outweighs the terrible feeling of seeing Bruce's shit-eating grin when he's bailed out by Willock yet again. 

Id say paranoid. Andre mariner has always been a little bit shit against us if memory serves. But outside of maybe a red for fabinho, I don't think there was anything obvious. Wasn't his decision to rule out the goal, and VAR has ruled out similar for other sides this year. 

Maybe there’s a bit of paranoia in play here, but I’ve just watched coverage of our game on MOTD and there was no footage of the assault on ASM - nothing!! One of the biggest incidents in the game and they didn’t cover it at all, no mention. Yet they finish with a focus on Fernandes’ apparent elbow on a Liverpool player and chat about whether it should’ve been a red card. Something fucking stinks! 

Doesn’t address the issue of him being crap, but he’s been playing above himself for a good part of the season, certainly out performed Jamal.

Can’t expect him to play at that level consistently across 20 odd games in a season at this stage of his career - he’s not that player, it’s only to be expected that he throws a few performances in certainly against top class talent Liverpool do have. 

Like many still involved that brought us up in 16/17 season, Clark shouldn’t be starting week in week in Premier League in our 3rd season back up. 

Edited by Abra Dubravka

1 hour ago, samptime29 said:

Just watched highlights again and didn't realise how good ASM touch and pass for Wilson VAR goal was. Fantastic play and Wilson's run was alert. Encouraging.

His weight of passing is very good, he isn't JUST a dribbler, though that is clearly his main strength.

He is a fantastic player.

6 minutes ago, Abra Dubravka said:

Doesn’t address the issue of him being crap, but he’s been playing above himself for a good part of the season, certainly out performed Jamal.

Can’t expect him to play at that level consistently across 20 odd games in a season at this stage of his career - he’s not that player, it’s only to be expected that he throws a few performances in certainly against top class talent Liverpool do have. 

Like many still involved that brought us up in 16/17 season, Clark shouldn’t be starting week in week in Premier League in our 3rd season back up. 

Agree, can't really ask any more of Clark, he is an average defender who has played slightly above himself for most of his time at the club.

I'd liken him to Aaron Hughes, though Hughes could play anywhere in defence, and was probably a better play than Clark overall.

17 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Agree, can't really ask any more of Clark, he is an average defender who has played slightly above himself for most of his time at the club.

I'd liken him to Aaron Hughes, though Hughes could play anywhere in defence, and was probably a better play than Clark overall.

Aye, have always been happy enough with him being 4th/5th choice CB at start of season, and will be going into next year. 

He’s rarely dropped below standards you expect from him, most weeks surpassing them! where as guys like Joe and Shelvey are getting nowhere near every week despite money ploughed into them and regular starts; Hendrick, Gayle, Carroll albeit lower standards akin to Clark are getting nowhere near every time they put on a shirt.

Edited by Abra Dubravka

1 hour ago, samptime29 said:

I stood up for him last week. Thought some were being harsh, but he was poor today. Made far too many mistakes.

You did but it was all good. He was looking pretty great for a bit this season if I recall correctly but since coming back into the team he’s really had just really bad mistakes. 

look I really like Clark, he’s a solid defender, has some good qualities in attack, often pops up with an important goal and even has a random game where he’s carrying the ball forward. 

VAR’s main job should be to stop the clear errors, like triple yellow cards, the Thierry Henry handball, Stuart Attwell giving a goal for a shot that missed the goal, and sly punches that weren't spotted. VAR also has a valuable and possibly expandable role in stopping diving for penalties.

It shouldn't give offsides, or at least till we get AI good enough to tell the lino in real time. Stop-start in cricket allows it to take an umpires' decision and correct it only when a certain margin of error has been exceeded. For an offside, you cannot take a correctable decision because it would mean stopping the game, hence the current situation where the game continues even if the lino thinks its offside. It may not have been a bad idea to do it this way, but in practice, seeing a goal chalked off for a marginal, computer-driven decision made with lines of questionable accuracy takes forever, is poor viewing, and ends up as the main talking point of the game. Whatever the rules are, the officials should always be in the background. People turn up or tune in to see football, not decisions. The previous way, a questionable but mostly correct offside decision made in real time, was better.  

The handball rules are stupid and will be regardless of whether VAR is used.