Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Lotttt of belt-tightening measures going on in KSA at the moment so I still don't think it's a given that they'll be back in one way or another. Still, it'd be nice to see the PL dragged through the s*** for their handling of this whole affair.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that this is not a frivolous purchase but a key part of MBS Vision2030 plan? Are they cutting back on this project too?

This keeps getting mentioned but I don't see how it has anything to do with the potential acquisition of NUFC. The main concerns with regards to Vision 2030 are: to diversify the economy away from oil (if this is related to that, there are far better options ROI-wise than buying a football club, especially in the current climate), improve the health sector, improve education, promote tourism (again can't imagine this would be enriched through buying nufc), facilitate more recreation activities and improving infrastructure.

Hard to argue that buying the club ties into any of those goals in my humble opinion.

You would surely level the same argument at the original purchase which they clearly were interested in, though?

Personally, I think Staveley and co. enticed PIF into the deal on the promise of large future appreciations in stock valuations. Man City -bought for around 200m and now worth around 3 billion in just over 10 years- along with a few others whose values would no doubt have appreciated massively in the same amount of time, would have represented an attractive proposition to PIF. This perhaps could have tied in with their 2030 vision of diversifying their investments.

The issue is now (and this is corroborated by their statement) that in such uncertain times for the game, along with the pandemic that absolutely devastated an already hurting KSA economy, the money guys don’t see the same value in this deal. Being dragged through the mud with an intensive 17-week vetting process where some foreign sporting body is demanding that the de facto ruler of the country is to be cross-examined, only makes the acquisition even less appealing.

Lotttt of belt-tightening measures going on in KSA at the moment so I still don't think it's a given that they'll be back in one way or another. Still, it'd be nice to see the PL dragged through the s*** for their handling of this whole affair.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that this is not a frivolous purchase but a key part of MBS Vision2030 plan? Are they cutting back on this project too?

This keeps getting mentioned but I don't see how it has anything to do with the potential acquisition of NUFC. The main concerns with regards to Vision 2030 are: to diversify the economy away from oil (if this is related to that, there are far better options ROI-wise than buying a football club, especially in the current climate), improve the health sector, improve education, promote tourism (again can't imagine this would be enriched through buying nufc), facilitate more recreation activities and improving infrastructure.

Hard to argue that buying the club ties into any of those goals in my humble opinion.

You would surely level the same argument at the original purchase which they clearly were interested in, though?

Personally, I think Staveley and co. enticed PIF into the deal on the promise of large future appreciations in stock valuations. Man City -bought for around 200m and now worth around 3 billion in just over 10 years- along with a few others whose values would no doubt have appreciated massively in the same amount of time, would have represented an attractive proposition to PIF. This perhaps could have tied in with their 2030 vision of diversifying their investments.

The issue is now (and this is corroborated by their statement) that in such uncertain times for the game, along with the pandemic that absolutely devastated an already hurting KSA economy, the money guys don’t see the same value in this deal. Being dragged through the mud with an intensive 17-week vetting process where some foreign sporting body is demanding that the de facto ruler of the country is to be cross-examined, only makes the acquisition even less appealing.

Personally I think you (as well as I) have no idea why PIF want to buy NUFC.......it could be as simple as saying they want to piss on Qatar chips and not let PSG have a free rein.  Or it could be because they love Gregg's steak bakes when partying on a Friday night.

McCormick[/member] could this just be simply a PIF investment into the lucrative (and maybe fun) world of football - ala City, PSG etc. PIF flexing some muscles in sport.

Possibly, can't tell you for sure :lol: but it wouldn't go down well with the locals considering the austerity measures they've just imposed.

Personally, I think Staveley and co. enticed PIF into the deal on the promise of large future appreciations in stock valuations. Man City -bought for around 200m and now worth around 3 billion in just over 10 years- along with a few others whose values would no doubt have appreciated massively in the same amount of time, would have represented an attractive proposition to PIF. This perhaps could have tied in with their 2030 vision of diversifying their investments.

Personally I think you (as well as I) have no idea why PIF want to buy NUFC.......it could be as simple as saying they want to piss on Qatar chips and not let PSG have a free rein.  Or it could be because they love Gregg's steak bakes when partying on a Friday night.

Completely agree. Just speculating based off the stuff I do know :) .

The economic uncertainty surrounding Covid 19 has put paid to any lingering hopes of a big money Saudi takeover imo . Man City were bought in 2008 for approx £ 200 m . There is no economic or other benefit to the Saudis in buying us this side of a cure or a return to normality viz full capacity crowds being allowed back in to grounds . Any legal moves by Ashley are likely to be to his own benefit and theres an end to it .

The economic uncertainty surrounding Covid 19 has put paid to any lingering hopes of a big money Saudi takeover imo . Man City were bought in 2008 for approx £ 200 m . There is no economic or other benefit to the Saudis in buying us this side of a cure or a return to normality viz full capacity crowds being allowed back in to grounds . Any legal moves by Ashley are likely to be to his own benefit and theres an end to it .

Nah.

Our situation now cannot be compared with Man Citys then even though 2008 was the start of the economic crash . Covid changes everything . No crowds no excitement and although in the short term fans may buy subscriptions to sky bt etc its just as likely that interest in football ( and other large scale sports ) will wither .

As much as I want to know what went on, I want a takeover more.

It's dead simple for the PL, go back to the drawing board and make a way for the deal to go through or get rinsed by the courts and suffer massive embarrassment and financial loss.

Our situation now cannot be compared with Man Citys then even though 2008 was the start of the economic crash . Covid changes everything . No crowds no excitement and although in the short term fans may buy subscriptions to sky bt etc its just as likely that interest in football ( and other large scale sports ) will wither .

Its Vision 2030 remember. Your view seems quite short sighted. The PL have been petitioning the government to start letting people back into stadia.  That will come early in the new year, probably.

You could quite easily spin that around and say the need to televise 100% of the games due to non attendance would bring more people into the game. As match going public revenue wise for top leagues is chicken feed and "attending" games is impossible for some due to costs, travel, illness, disability etc etc.

The game doesn't appear to be as special with no one there but that's because until very recently its not been the norm. Obviously that concept is only possible if they are willing to televise all games.

It kills games and sports that need the crowd to fund the sport and where the tv money isn't enough to make it financially viable.

The tv companies can attempt to fake the experience all they want including the gimp who sits at the mixing desk sticking on fake crowd noise as and when , but the overall experience is sterile and not worth watching . Football relies on real crowds and it being a real experience , away matches , home games , tribalism , singing , mocking other fans etc . The fake version cannot last