Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

For all the doom tonight even the grim reaper himself admits it’s not blocked.

The bloke is a total and utter c***. If you want to see what an absolute clueless prick he is, listen to the latest True Faith podcast

At this point I’m still in and still think they’ll work through it, I think an expensive legal battle will focus minds in coming days/weeks.

Also just seen this video where head of FIFA is praising Saudis for fucks sake.

I guess Caulkin hasn't commented yet, for what its worth?

Seems to be entirely consistent with his account of events. The PL keep asking questions that the Bidders can’t provide (according to the EPL) sufficient answers to in order for them to make a decision. Given that they were (we’re led to understand) provided with details of the structure of the consortium when the bid was sent for approval months ago, It seems questionable whether they’ll ever achieve enough clarity to make a decision either way or more cynically, are simply trying to engineer a situation that will enable them to “legitimately” reject it.

Surely it’s inconceivable to imagine the Quataries to have unduly influenced proceedings cos it’s not like they’ve got form for that sort of thing.

It seems to me that the issue is that the O&D test applies to everyone that has “control” over the club’s affairs (“control” as defined very specifically in the O&D test)

Perhaps the initial bid and paperwork included the owners and directors, but didn’t apply a broad definition to who might have control at the club? The PL then goes back to the consortium and says “What about the King’s son, and the Undersecretary for Piracy and the Minister for Baby Killing? Prove they won’t have influence over the club or, if not, they have to submit to the O&D test.”

Consortium “Er...”

*100 days later*

“Er...”

If that’s the case, how do you prove that? In realty, you can only prove (and demonstrate) if you have influence and make decisions you can’t prove that you don’t, can you?

I think the wording of the articles earlier this evening is telling. The PL did talk to someone off the record but in a very deliberate way.

They use the word delay instead of reject and shift the focus from human rights or piracy to needing clarification on the structure of the club as the only remaining issue.

That’s very easy to clarify (as if it wasn’t already)

That just paves the way for another article in a few days from now to say that they’ve now been given what they need and it can proceed.

It will look like another round of negative stories but read between the lines and I think what they’re saying is that the piracy and human rights concerns have been addressed.

I think the wording of the articles earlier this evening is telling. The PL did talk to someone off the record but in a very deliberate way.

They use the word delay instead of reject and shift the focus from human rights or piracy to needing clarification on the structure of the club as the only remaining issue.

That’s very easy to clarify (as if it wasn’t already)

That just paves the way for another article in a few days from now to say that they’ve now been given what they need and it can proceed.

It will look like another round of negative stories but read between the lines and I think what they’re saying is that the piracy and human rights concerns have been addressed.

One can hope.

Honestly can't believe they don't have a clear plan of ownership and structure in place. These aren't Mike Ashley chancers.

It is all fucked. On the upside. Looks like we will all have more time on my hands if/when its rejected. Fuck the premier league. I am done with it. (to be edited later to I LOVE the premier league and can't wait for the new season, if they pass it).

Sounds like the PL is hung up on MBS and his role as Chairman of PIF as sovereign and are likely not satisfied with PIF's lawyers either playing down his exact role or saying he is Chairman as Crown Prince but has no say on this specific deal and the PL are just not Ok with it.

Guest godzilla

Sounds like the PL is hung up on MBS and his role as Chairman of PIF as sovereign and are likely not satisfied with PIF's lawyers either playing down his exact role or saying he is Chairman as Crown Prince but has no say on this specific deal and the PL are just not Ok with it.

Think this is heading to court and would not be surprised if that's not too far away either. Interesting to see what happens on Wednesday at the WTO.

Think this is heading to court and would not be surprised if that's not too far away either. Interesting to see what happens on Wednesday at the WTO.

Absolutely this.....both the buyer and the seller will see the PL intransigence as devaluing the asset, it will be a case of approve or we will see you in court

I still think the league are a clown show overall. It’s not even about the actual decision - it’s the lack of transparency and duration of this process. It’s the lack of respect for the fans of Newcastle and the employees of the club.

I guess Caulkin hasn't commented yet, for what its worth?

Seems to be entirely consistent with his account of events. The PL keep asking questions that the Bidders can’t provide (according to the EPL) sufficient answers to in order for them to make a decision. Given that they were (we’re led to understand) provided with details of the structure of the consortium when the bid was sent for approval months ago, It seems questionable whether they’ll ever achieve enough clarity to make a decision either way or more cynically, are simply trying to engineer a situation that will enable them to “legitimately” reject it.

Surely it’s inconceivable to imagine the Quataries to have unduly influenced proceedings cos it’s not like they’ve got form for that sort of thing.

It seems to me that the issue is that the O&D test applies to everyone that has “control” over the club’s affairs (“control” as defined very specifically in the O&D test)

Perhaps the initial bid and paperwork included the owners and directors, but didn’t apply a broad definition to who might have control at the club? The PL then goes back to the consortium and says “What about the King’s son, and the Undersecretary for Piracy and the Minister for Baby Killing? Prove they won’t have influence over the club or, if not, they have to submit to the O&D test.”

Consortium “Er...”

*100 days later*

“Er...”

If that’s the case, how do you prove that? In realty, you can only prove (and demonstrate) if you have influence and make decisions you can’t prove that you don’t, can you?

Exactly the problem - Saudi Arabia can’t prove a negative, and don’t seem willing to submit government officials to the O&D test.

Surely the buyers will want to unofficially reply to the premier leagues today via Caulkin etc. This not so unsubtle attempt by PL to publicly absolve themselves, and pass the buck to the buyers surely warrants a public reply.

Unfortunately some of the media will lap up the narrative that buyers are to blame here, as we’ve already seen yesterday.

Anyone thinking that Saudi won't walk away from this deal for fear of being embarrassed will be very disappointed. Changing an entire governments' policy just to yield to a fucking foreign sporting body would be infinitely more degrading in their eyes; the 17m is pennies in the grand scheme of things and they will not be happy with being made to jump through all these hoops for something that is relatively insignificant to them.

Anyone thinking that Saudi won't walk away from this deal for fear of being embarrassed will be very disappointed. Changing an entire governments' policy just to yield to a fucking foreign sporting body would be infinitely more degrading in their eyes; the 17m is pennies in the grand scheme of things and they will not be happy with being made to jump through all these hoops for something that is relatively insignificant to them.

Agree.. it's over.

Guest awaymag

Agree.. it's over.

Full of shit, its not

They won't lose face if they walk away; they control the media here they could dress this up as not bowing down to foreign influences to protect their national security/ interests. They're losing more face now if anything.

Put it this way, anytime the Saudi government makes wholesale changes to it's national policy to appease a jumped up sporting institution is them looking weak and losing face. Making concessions to the PL is, at the moment, the same as making concessions to Qatar.

Things may be slightly frosty but I doubt they'd risk losing a major strategic partner and military alliance (the Saudi National Guard are trained by  the UK military and have been for a while) for the sake of  buying a football club :lol: .

Given the latest "leak" about the Premier League wanting clarity on who will be in charge, I think what they are wanting to see if that whilst PIF will own the majority of the club they will have no real influence over the running of the club.  In other words, that NUFC will just be an investment for PIF and not an actively run project.

I think this could easily be achieved in that PIF and the buyers just need to demonstrate to the PL that the entirety of the club's executive & management team will be appointments of people in good UK standing and that their position descriptions will provide them the independence to run the club as they see fit - that PIF's only ability to interfere in the club is if the club is not performing as a financial investment (and then only on the basis of commercial operation).  Such an arrangement would still permit PIF to invest heavily in the club (putting capital into their investment) and for other arrangements to be made on an equitable commercial basis (e.g. sponsorships, player purchases, etc), it would just be so the Premier League can't be accused of letting a "tyrant" directly run a club (e.g. behead a player because they don't track back sufficiently).

Guest chopey

I think the fact that Qatar is basically annexed from the rest of the region and will face massive competition for the next TV deal is hugely in our favour.

The key is the pressure from the Tories to ensure this goes through. If it fails there will be trade deal reprecussions.

Any hint of this basically proves their fears that PiF and the state of KSA are one and the same does it not?

Yep, bit awkward really isn’t it.

Given the latest "leak" about the Premier League wanting clarity on who will be in charge, I think what they are wanting to see if that whilst PIF will own the majority of the club they will have no real influence over the running of the club.  In other words, that NUFC will just be an investment for PIF and not an actively run project.

I think this could easily be achieved in that PIF and the buyers just need to demonstrate to the PL that the entirety of the club's executive & management team will be appointments of people in good UK standing and that their position descriptions will provide them the independence to run the club as they see fit - that PIF's only ability to interfere in the club is if the club is not performing as a financial investment (and then only on the basis of commercial operation).  Such an arrangement would still permit PIF to invest heavily in the club (putting capital into their investment) and for other arrangements to be made on an equitable commercial basis (e.g. sponsorships, player purchases, etc), it would just be so the Premier League can't be accused of letting a "tyrant" directly run a club (e.g. behead a player because they don't track back sufficiently).

Didn't they say Al Rummayan would be chairman from the off?  Not sure why that should be an issue or why the PL wouldn't allow someone from PIF to be involved?

'You can pay the money but can't get involved' doesn't seem right.

A while back someone in here mentioned that in the tests they look into/need details of anyone who could potentially have an influence on the things going forward, I'm assuming this is just an extension of that part of the test as PIF are huge and I Imagine it's massively complicated (not to mention fuckin stupid considering it could include shit loads of people).

I'm probably over-simplifying it.