Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Bit of an update (not much from last time) but the lawyers hired by Ashley now are convinced that if this goes to court there is no way they will lose this case, enough evidence to wipe the floor with the PL.

The only thing that stops this now is time.

Bruce will also be gone if/when the takeover goes through. They don’t like his football at all and they realise that he’s not good enough. IF this gets done in the timeframe they want then there will be as much spending as possible on players regardless of the position of the club in the January window.

For now they have set their sights on competing with Leicester/Everton/Wolves, basically 5th-9th.

What's the timeframe they want this done in? End of the year?

Genuine question...

Why would anyone pay a monthly fee to Sky/BT/Amazon, just to watch other teams most of the time?

I don't, but even if i did I would only watch the Newcastle games, and have no interest in watching a Southampton/West Ham tie, just because it happens to be on. At a push I'd watch a title decider.

If greed could be ignored (I know, i know) then surely a good option would be let people buy 'TV season tickets' for their own teams, but still keep the total broadcast revenue evenly distributed whilst allowing every individual match to be ppv. So say you have the TV season ticket for Newcastle, you pay the given subscription, but if you happen to want to watch Man U v Liverpool or whoever, pay a bit more to get that on top.

Alternatively just don't give clubs any of the direct TV revenue and let them generate cash purely through attendances, sponsorship, and a share of the income generated by the specific viewership of their match (yes i know full well they'd never agree to this!), and that would encourage genuine ambition rather than relying on x millions just for being in the league. This was would have seen Leicester rewarded paid handsomely for the last few games of their title season, and genuinely reward their achievement, which was never fully appreciated because the weren't  'Big 6''. As loathsome as it is, I'd rather let Sky keep all the cash from broadcasting rights just to make some decent TV.

By advertising hundreds of games, £60 per month comes over as a real deal, even if most games aren't watched. 38 games for £60 per month is not a good deal. The added costs of advertising each channel individually, the added commentary teams and pundits.

The 20 clubs currently promote the brands of the PL, FA, and the broadcasters. None of them are going to reverse that relationship.

This is what Sky/BT and the Premier League want you to think, and promote it shamelessly and relentlessly. It's only a good deal if you're interested in watching teams outside of your own...  I'd never even consider paying £60 a month when i might only watch 1 in 10. For me that's a crap deal. For some it might be ok.

Plus having 20 individual channels would do nothing but increasing advertising

Perhaps ditching the current model and making every match ppv might be better....albeit not at £15 a pop. As much as i'd only watch Newcastle on TV I think i'd object to paying £15 to the current team against most of the league

I pay for Sky/BT with the top package through Virgin which basically gives you everything. In reality I only really want to watch UFC and our games, I can take or leave the rest. But usually they package it in such a way it's not good value to just buy individual plans. I would say I'm no longer prepared to pay good money to subsidise the big 6, but in reality, they know that Newcastle fans will pay even to watch a shit side. I mean it's only our games I'm interested in for the most part.

£27 a year for every PL game here.  Can't even remember the last time I watched a match we weren't playing in though and have no idea of the current standings except us.

I've got everything through Virgin, landline, broadband, tv, the lot. Sky Sports is included along with films which I never watch. I just went on their website to see if I could take some things off and of course there's no way of doing it online so I guess you would have to call them.

No chance this gets approved by the end of the year.

More chance it would be the end of next year tbh. Can just imagine Masters coming up with a list of excuses.

"Due to Covid-19 we are operating on emergency services only!"

"Xmas holidays are coming in 2 months and will severely curtail any paperwork which might need signing off!"

"Just fuck off NUFC etc..."

Bit of an update (not much from last time) but the lawyers hired by Ashley now are convinced that if this goes to court there is no way they will lose this case, enough evidence to wipe the floor with the PL.

Bruce will also be gone if/when the takeover goes through. They don’t like his football at all and they realise that he’s not good enough. IF this gets done in the timeframe they want then there will be as much spending as possible on players regardless of the position of the club in the January window.

For now they have set their sights on competing with Leicester/Everton/Wolves, basically 5th-9th.

:lol:

Nice little get out there for the "buyers" eh.

The PL need an incentive to do this quickly and I don't think they'll get one. Can they be hurried, legally?

Id say after 17 weeks nearly all the takeover work is done, so id say a certain amount of foot up the arsery could be done

But the buyers have got out before. Then came back.

The PL need an incentive to do this quickly and I don't think they'll get one. Can they be hurried, legally?

Well if the above ITK post is true, their incentive to approve quickly would be to avoid losing in court?

It really depends how confident they are in defending themselves, though. And also whether they're secretly happy to take the damages if it means avoiding allowing a competitive NUFC into the league (who may end up replacing one of the powerful old guard struggling on the threshold of the top four e.g. Man Utd, Arsenal).

Isn't the threat of this going to court the reason that this should be completed in the timeframe wanted? Surely the Premier League wouldn't want it going to court? Approve it and they can actually be a show of them showing they are in power and not dictated by certain clubs.

But the buyers have got out before. Then came back.

That was before there was any talk of the Big 6 forming a monopoly. I don't think PIF would be as interested in buying a PL club that will be effectively shunted into 2nd tier football for life.

If the talk of a timescale for completion is true, I now worry about this deal. To let the PL have wind that there’s any kind of timescale would seem self defeatist, and once again play into their hands.

The PL must be convinced this is heading to the law courts, otherwise I don’t see them changing tact. They’ll be doing everything they can behind the scenes to ensure the PL is kept together, and unfortunately upsetting some of the big 6 by granting our takeover won’t be high on their agenda.

Would the PL be convinced Ashley would continue with legal action if the consortium walk away, I’m certainly not convinced Ashley would take this all the way to high court and the costs associated with that if PIF have walked away.

Still hopeful but far from convinced this gets done.

If the talk of a timescale for completion is true, I now worry about this deal. To let the PL have wind that there’s any kind of timescale would seem self defeatist, and once again play into their hands.

The PL must be convinced this is heading to the law courts, otherwise I don’t see them changing tact. They’ll be doing everything they can behind the scenes to ensure the PL is kept together, and unfortunately upsetting some of the big 6 by granting our takeover won’t be high on their agenda.

Would the PL be convinced Ashley would continue with legal action if the consortium walk away, I’m certainly not convinced Ashley would take this all the way to high court and the costs associated with that if PIF have walked away.

Another way to look at it is its a signal that they aren't willing to keep talking for months with no resolution.  If they believe the PL are just trying to waste time again then serious legal proceedings will start.  At that point the PL lose ultimate control over the timescale and also risk financial loss and also loss of face if some of the shite they've been pulling is exposed in court.

Also I think Ashlety is exactly the kind of person who would take this as far as he can even without the current buyers.  He's offended easily and holds grudges, I'm sure he's never been told he cant sell something he owns before and he's fucking furious about it.

Whilest I'm inclined to believe Mimmsy's information is accurate, you probably shouldn't over analyse every word of it. For now, they are feeling like they will win a possible court case, that might have changed the deadline the buying side might have put on, if there even was one to begin with and not just a rough period when they wanted this done by.

Another way to look at it is its a signal that they aren't willing to keep talking for months with no resolution.  If they believe the PL are just trying to waste time again then serious legal proceedings will start.  At that point the PL lose ultimate control over the timescale and also risk financial loss and also loss of face if some of the shite they've been pulling is exposed in court.

Also I think Ashlety is exactly the kind of person who would take this as far as he can even without the current buyers.  He's offended easily and holds grudges, I'm sure he's never been told he cant sell something he owns before and he's fucking furious about it.

Yep as above. Lawyers don't just get told "wait a bit". They're getting paid a lot of money to get this sorted and they will know exactly what they're doing.

Personally I think this is all on the lawyers of the PL. If they say we can give them a realistic fight in court and have a good enough chance of winning, the PL will happily take that route.

However if the lawyers advise the PL to look at out of court settlement then they're basically saying you're fucked. I don't think the PL lawyers would be happily sitting around doing nothing.

The legal team of the buyers clearly see a strong case if the info is true and that means the PL need to get the ball rolling as if they don't it will be a very costly mistake.

Source?

Source?

Bore off Sean