Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Even admitting to needing to take the test would imply he's a controlling interest though, and that PIF are closer to the Saudi state than they want to admit. I think that's the main reason it's a non-starter.

But if he takes the test and passes the problem goes away.  The independence thing then won’t matter.  Why won’t he do that?  Why is no one asking that question?  Why would he fail?

Saudis want to buy stuff like clubs to have brands attached to them to look modern and progressive and exciting, they're hardly unique in that, making your country look an attractive brand is hardly in and of itself immoral it's more the size and vileness of the turd you are polishing. That they then also try and say that the investment fund, there to make the state look good, isn't actually controlled by the state is a case of trying to have your cake and eat it.

Now as I understand it to avoid the king having to do the fit and proper person they tried to provide some legal guarantee that the king would not have any say over the running of the club iirc and this actually what the arbritration that is so often sought is over. I guess the premier league doubts for all theycould have a written guarantee that is apaprently legally binding how they would ever challenge it if the king was just privately telling the guys in charge what to do without any papertrail though, so dunno.

Because he’s the de facto King of Saudi Arabia and honour and image are massively important out there. He’s not gonna take any test. No one can test a King or he looks weak. It’s an insult in fact.

It’s not an exam, it’s a few boxes on a form. It would take an hour at best to do. The refusal to do so is the weird part.  If he were to buy it personally would he also refuse to take the test?

You’re applying U.K./ Western logic to the politics of Gulf Royalty. As I said, he’s the de facto King of Saudi Arabia, sitting the test would be an insult and won’t happen.

More evidence for De Marco and co to show our takeover was subjected to far stricter scrutiny than any previous.

I would have thought the government would have pushed for them to accept the bid.  Premier league went to them....

I think they would, but the point is why did they feel they had to go to them. It’s meant to be a confidential process and if scrutiny of our takeover has been shown to be different to others, it all plays into the narrative that we have been treat differently.

I expect to tell them that they are going to reject the bid and wanted to explain why (Piracy) or get more info on the buyers.  Also we probably have been treated differently but I can't think of any club being bought while at the same time running an illegal sports stations that steals games. 

I'm still confused by this. Is it PIF that are illegally streaming games? Is this still going on?

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2020/6/16/explainer-the-piracy-case-against-saudis-beoutq-channel

Think we all know if the Saudis wanted to shut it down they could.

Probably could have but its still got nothing to do with PIF. Separate legal entity which is what do marco is trying to prove.

I suppose its a bit like having a limited company over here.

I am the sole director and shareholder of my company, i earn its money, i spend it, i have complete control over the business, its direction and its finances.

But legally, its separate to me.

That's where a problem arises though surely. As the owners and directors test has to find the parties who are have control over said company. With PIF describing themselves as the sovereign wealth fund of the state then the state surely has control over PIF. So it doesn't really matter if it's a separate legal entity in itself in that respect.

Exactly this.  The Saudi state could turn round after the takeover and dissolve PIF and take over control of all the enterprises PIF entered into including control of NUFC!

Lol. Righto. And you REALLY don’t think in that instance that the PL might have something to say, and invoke the yearly O&D Test again to throw the club out of the league?

So Isn’t that why they are wanting to test the people who have the power to do that before the takeover happens, I.e MBS.

The real question is why won’t he take the test?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where are we now? There was excitement from Football365-guy few days ago, but all seems negative here? Clearly something is happening because of the calls with government, but what is the latest?

tenor.gif

Where are we now? There was excitement from Football365-guy few days ago, but all seems negative here? Clearly something is happening because of the calls with government, but what is the latest?

We're a negative bunch, seen this all before. We'll all be positive once Ashley goes though, don't worry.

I think the excitement is from rumours of the Bein issue being sorted out from that summit between qatar and saudi arabia. I don't expect that will all get solved in some massive rush, even apart from if Saudi Arabia just allows them to broadcast again there are still no doubt a load of legal issues since Bein can;t be happy with basically being denied a market essentially illegally for a duration, they'd probably be after compensation.

More evidence for De Marco and co to show our takeover was subjected to far stricter scrutiny than any previous.

I would have thought the government would have pushed for them to accept the bid.  Premier league went to them....

I think they would, but the point is why did they feel they had to go to them. It’s meant to be a confidential process and if scrutiny of our takeover has been shown to be different to others, it all plays into the narrative that we have been treat differently.

I expect to tell them that they are going to reject the bid and wanted to explain why (Piracy) or get more info on the buyers.  Also we probably have been treated differently but I can't think of any club being bought while at the same time running an illegal sports stations that steals games. 

I'm still confused by this. Is it PIF that are illegally streaming games? Is this still going on?

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2020/6/16/explainer-the-piracy-case-against-saudis-beoutq-channel

Probably could have but its still got nothing to do with PIF. Separate legal entity which is what do marco is trying to prove.

I am the sole director and shareholder of my company, i earn its money, i spend it, i have complete control over the business, its direction and its finances.

That's where a problem arises though surely. As the owners and directors test has to find the parties who are have control over said company. With PIF describing themselves as the sovereign wealth fund of the state then the state surely has control over PIF. So it doesn't really matter if it's a separate legal entity in itself in that respect.

Exactly this.  The Saudi state could turn round after the takeover and dissolve PIF and take over control of all the enterprises PIF entered into including control of NUFC!

Lol. Righto. And you REALLY don’t think in that instance that the PL might have something to say, and invoke the yearly O&D Test again to throw the club out of the league?

So Isn’t that why they are wanting to test the people who have the power to do that before the takeover happens, I.e MBS.

Really, so you want MBS to take a test to buy a shitty club in the UK that amounts to 0.00x% of the PIF investment portfolio.  So should the Queen have to take various tests everytime the Crown estates want to buy into something?  Insane. 

If the premier league came out and said - we have rejected the takeover bid due to alleged piracy of IP rights etc then fine.  Most fans would accept it without a blink of an eye.  This not making a decision is just a delay tactic because they know if they actually gave a reason for rejecting it, it could be challenged.

Anyway this is old ground, covered so many times in this thread.  I wont be writing in this thread again until we hear definitive news from the PL, the club or consortium as we are just going round in circles.  Whereas NUFC is just going down (to the championship).

Really, so you want MBS to take a test to buy a shitty club in the UK that amounts to 0.00x% of the PIF investment portfolio.  So should the Queen have to take various tests everytime the Crown estates want to buy into something?  Insane. 

If the premier league came out and said - we have rejected the takeover bid due to alleged piracy of IP rights etc then fine.  Most fans would accept it without a blink of an eye.  This not making a decision is just a delay tactic because they know if they actually gave a reason for rejecting it, it could be challenged.

Anyway this is old ground, covered so many times in this thread.  I wont be writing in this thread again until we hear definitive news from the PL, the club or consortium as we are just going round in circles.  Whereas NUFC is just going down (to the championship).

Excuse me?

Excuse me?

Nothing wrong with saying we are a shitty club tbh. 

Excuse me?

You're welcome.  Come on we are a shitty club at the moment.  We treat our assets to £30 paddling pools - whereas Leicester spend £100M on theirs!

Excuse me?

In fact shitty clubs may have a case for defamation

Excuse me?

In fact shitty clubs may have a case for defamation

Agree, we're a very, very shitty club

We're the epitome of shitty clubs at the moment.

By the way, the Crown estates want to buy a club, the Queen should be subjected to the test, yes.

Nope. Truly independent, enshrined in law, no blurred lines. The monarch literally has no influence - TCE is not a sovereign wealth fund - it is very different.

We're not a shitty club. We're a beautiful club with a shitty owner.

He's fucking cancer.

You wouldn't say you had a shitty Grandma because she was riddled with cancer.

Spot on. Some of our fans love bashing our club.

Personally think there is very little going on, other than a few journalists and fans wanting to increase their following by joining the furthest dots possible.

De Marco had a meeting with club officials before the game. Things are definitely ‘going on’.