Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Why was it illegal, a partner of the PL could express concerns about one of its members surely? Or is the difference between expressing an opinion directly to PL and actively lobbying for support?

Edited by geordie_b

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Is it illegal? How would that be anti-competitive? BeIN have no role to play in the league, they just own the TV rights for a set period.

Would it be illegal for Sky to write a letter to oppose our takeover? Seems a bit bizarre.

It was used as an example on Friday and according to the QC O’Donoghue it was illegal. The PL said what’s the difference between an MP lobbying on our behalf, and the difference is ones illegal and ones not.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Is it illegal? How would that be anti-competitive? BeIN have no role to play in the league, they just own the TV rights for a set period.

Would it be illegal for Sky to write a letter to oppose our takeover? Seems a bit bizarre.

It's explained in NCSL's letter before action to the PL.

Masters saying its a confidential process, yet BEIN telling everyone to block it, and Richard Keys publicly stating that it should be blocked who works for BEIN, and who is also best mates with Hoffman, who conveniently gets a top job at the PL. 

Nothing to see here, all above board governor [emoji38]

Edited by Scotty66

Bein are not a partner of the epl they are just a customer of the epl.  If they don't want pif to have a share in nufc they can refuse to bid for tv tv rights but that's just cutting of their nose to spite their face.  The epl product will be snapped up regardless!!

Just seen the BBC touch on the Joshua fight set for Saudi. To be fair they did touch on some of the controversey around it. Infuriatingly this ammounted to nothing more than how hot it was going to be. No piracy, human rights, grieving widows, protests, dissent, Yemen, sports-washing....you know all the stuff that gets dredged up for our proposed takeover.

19 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Why are we seeing a letter dated October 2020

Because it sets out the basis of NCSL's original anti-competition case, which the club has now taken on because (probably rightly) the PL responded to that saying that NCSL didn't have the legal standing to bring the case.

The case included that beIN's letter objecting to the takeover was anti-competitive and that the PL had a legal duty to report both it and the reported lobbying of other PL clubs against the takeover to the competition authorities, and publicly distance themselves from it.

If that is the case, it looks like the PL might be screwed.

Edited by Jackie Broon

Just read the Athletic article from Slater/Waugh. Seems inevitable at this point that we'll be starting and ending the season with Ashley and Bruce. Truly a miserable thought but just seems like the most likely scenario given the timescales of CAT and arbitration. I always feel enthused by the fact that the fight is ongoing, but God it feels like we're as far away from a resolution as we've ever been.

Imagine it doesn't go our way, that means starting 2022/23 with Bruce/Ashley as well, and an extremely uncertain future as he either settles back in or starts looking for any chancer who'll take it off his hands. 

Ho hum. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just read the Athletic article from Slater/Waugh. Seems inevitable at this point that we'll be starting and ending the season with Ashley and Bruce. Truly a miserable thought but just seems like the most likely scenario given the timescales of CAT and arbitration. I always feel enthused by the fact that the fight is ongoing, but God it feels like we're as far away from a resolution as we've ever been.

Imagine it doesn't go our way, that means starting 2022/23 with Bruce/Ashley as well, and an extremely uncertain future as he either settles back in or starts looking for any chancer who'll take it off his hands. 

Ho hum. 

I won't be starting another season with Bruce or Ashley.

Edited by Rocker

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Ho hum. 

Aye, it's looking thoroughly depressing at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Ho hum. 

Particularly bleak when we all know he'll renew Bruce midway through next season with a long contract.

The current predicament is complete misery. Ashley, Charnley, Bruce, Media coverage, the hopelessness. Fucking sick.

2 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Particularly bleak when we all know he'll renew Bruce midway through next season with a long contract.

The current predicament is complete misery. Ashley, Charnley, Bruce, Media coverage, the hopelessness. Fucking sick.

Think of the profit we'll make on ASM and Wilson though. Won't you think of the profit goddammit!

5 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Yeah, it's absolutely horrendous. I think I've settled on the fact that Bruce is the worst of it. I was inconsolable when Rafa left; there was no one thing that was keeping me away, just thoroughly disgusted with the whole situation. But as the pain from that has wilted slightly - really I think it's probably just Bruce which poses the biggest obstruction to me feeling at least something. I know if we appointed a better manager it would still be a lie, and I'd seriously question the new man's own integrity and pedigree, but at least I don't think I'd want us to lose every week. 

It's broken now though, there can never be another encouraging manager under Ashley. He'll just be a sticking plaster and if he has any ambition he'll eventually be forced to quit.

I guess it's possible you might get a young manager who's good and wants a shot in the PL, then he can use us as a stepping stone and not stay through too many transfer windows.