Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

This is where we are. Arbitration has not yet started. Both sides have submitted evidence and would assume both sides will have a team of legal analysts looking through this to provide their QC’s when it actually comes to the court part of things.

On the CAT side, the judge is currently considering the PL’s challenge to it’s jurisdiction in the case. He’s had it a week so far, nobody will know how long it could take, hopefully just a few weeks but that’s probably going to be the next thing that happens and we will hear about it once a decision is made.

Like I said before, we lose this decision then it’s dead in the water.. all of it. If we win I believe the PL will settle, they will not want any info out in the public domain.

40 minutes ago, Rocker said:

Middle of next week for CAT update on their website.

Edit. Going from their response times to other ongoing cases. 

Although, the update in that other case was a jurisdiction hearing set for November, which isn't very promising.

5 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Although, the update in that other case was a jurisdiction hearing set for November, which isn't very promising.

CAT was never going to happen quickly. The only route to the takeover is success via arbitration.

Otherwise CAT will drag on for months (if not years) and PIF have already indicated they’ll be gone by that point.

13 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

CAT was never going to happen quickly. The only route to the takeover is success via arbitration.

Otherwise CAT will drag on for months (if not years) and PIF have already indicated they’ll be gone by that point.

You’re missing the point, the PL will not want years of evidence coming into the public domain through CAT.

Everything is resting on the jurisdiction claim. The arbitration is not winnable in my honest opinion.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

You’re missing the point, the PL will not want years of evidence coming into the public domain through CAT.

Everything is resting on the jurisdiction claim. The arbitration is not winnable in my honest opinion.

CAT aren’t going to release regular updates of evidence like :lol: The PL will keep delaying CAT for as long as possible, the hearing won’t take place for a long time, if ever. 

And sadly, PIF won’t be around at that point.

18 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Why do you believe arbitration isn’t winnable? 

Is there anything legally stopping PIF etc buying the club from Ashley?

Obviously I know the Premier League could turn around and say we could no longer be members, but if Ashley sold the club to them regardless, I’d love to see them try and kick us out.

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Obviously I know the Premier League could turn around and say we could no longer be members, but if Ashley sold the club to them regardless, I’d love to see them try and kick us out.

The risk would all be on the consortium though. They’d be spending £350m on something that would instantly become worthless if they did kick us out.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The risk would all be on the consortium though. They’d be spending £350m on something that would instantly become worthless if they did kick us out.

Which is why I’m less and less confident they’ll succeed. If there’s no wrongdoing, give the PL a reason to kick us out.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Which is why I’m less and less confident they’ll succeed. If there’s no wrongdoing, give the PL a reason to kick us out.

Would be a legal minefield the consortium have no interest in. They are quite happy to sit back and leave all the legal battles to Ashley 

Edited by gdm

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

As far as I am aware, from a logical perspective, PIF can buy the club this very second but that's purely from a business side only. So Newcastle United Ltd (or whatever) as a company can be bought/sold to anyone (including PIF) at any time. The slight downside is league registration, which the Premier League can give or revoke to/from members. PIF aren't buying a club that has no league to play in though. Theoretically they could withdraw the club from the Premier League and apply to join the SPFL, for example, clubs do resign from leagues (Bury, for example, but under different circumstances). I reckon UEFA would have something to say about that though, but moving NUFC's registered office to Edinburgh and/or a brown envelope could work wonders. Office in one country and stadium in another is what Chester do, although that's a bit different. 

1 minute ago, number37 said:

As far as I am aware, from a logical perspective, PIF can buy the club this very second but that's purely from a business side only. So Newcastle United Ltd (or whatever) as a company can be bought/sold to anyone (including PIF) at any time. The slight downside is league registration, which the Premier League can give or revoke to/from members. PIF aren't buying a club that has no league to play in though. Theoretically they could withdraw the club from the Premier League and apply to join the SPFL, for example, clubs do resign from leagues (Bury, for example, but under different circumstances). I reckon UEFA would have something to say about that though, but moving NUFC's registered office to Edinburgh and/or a brown envelope could work wonders. Office in one country and stadium in another is what Chester do, although that's a bit different. 

Aren't Berwick in the Scottish system?

2 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Aren't Berwick in the Scottish system?

They are but that's due to historical/amnesty reasons. I forget the exact year but in the early 1990s, UEFA told the UK teams playing in leagues not their own (like Berwick, Cardiff, Wrexham, etc) to either move or stay in the system they're in forever. Berwick, Cardiff, Swansea, Newport (a couple of others) stayed in the Scots/English set up, respectively, but there were a handful of Welsh teams that moved back. 

At the time, Wales didn't have a national league (which is why they played here), this annoyed UEFA and also the Welsh clubs in England were taking the piss a bit by entering and winning the Welsh Cup and entering UEFA competitions, this also annoyed UEFA. 

I don't think a club has moved since. Maybe Gretna from the Northern League in England to the Scottish system but I don't think that counts because the Northern League isn't a national one. 

21 hours ago, Rocker said:

Middle of next week for CAT update on their website.

Edit. Going from their response times to other ongoing cases. 

This decision could be massive, and in my opinion the first genuine indicator of whether the NUFC (Ashley) and the legal team actually have solid and incriminating evidence in their actual case. It’s still not certain even then that the case would still be won, but if the Premier League request for the case to be basically thrown out is rejected, then it is least a positive sign that the judge making the decision  thinks there is enough evidence/argument for a court /legal panel (do not know where the case goes) to consider and make a judgement.

If the Premier League succeed, then there will obviously be a massive meltdown incoming, but the questions will then be directed (and rightly so) about the strength of the evidence gathered and presented by Ashley’s team. I know the arbitration is separate, so again nobody can be sure of what’s being presented.

I’m just hoping that the decision this week gives support that the Ashley legal team does have  the necessary evidence to move the case forward and create more pressure. 

Edited by et tu brute

Any legal eagles know anything about CAT proceedings? For example should the judge decide that there is a case to answer here could the premier league settle with NUFC to avoid a public, potentially embarrassing, hearing?

33 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Any legal eagles know anything about CAT proceedings? For example should the judge decide that there is a case to answer here could the premier league settle with NUFC to avoid a public, potentially embarrassing, hearing?

Pretty sure that in a lot of legal cases in general that deals are agreed to avoid court action. So I think that would be a yes.

Not a lot changed it seems but hopefully we get some form a confirmation that the CAT case being thrown out is REJECTED!! Seemed to be a lot of noise on Twitter last night about rumours that it wont be thrown out 

We shall see I guess

1 hour ago, DurhamMag said:

Not a lot changed it seems but hopefully we get some form a confirmation that the CAT case being thrown out is REJECTED!! Seemed to be a lot of noise on Twitter last night about rumours that it wont be thrown out 

We shall see I guess

Yes fingers crossed! This decision will be the single biggest thing to happen in terms of this happening or not.

The point is, even if the CAT case takes longer to start, the PL will not want any of this playing out in public. Even if they drag their feet and stick to their guns regarding the takeover, this CAT case will damage them more than any fallout from allowing Saudi to take control of nufc. Even if PIF walked away, Mike Ashley is in this now and would see it through regardless. So either way the PL will lose out.

So they will have to settle.

The other alternative is too grim to think about so let’s just cross that bridge if we come to it.

8 minutes ago, Wilson said:

That's a bridge I'll be jumping off.... Fuck crossing it. 

Il be behind you in the queue!!!

30 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Yes fingers crossed! This decision will be the single biggest thing to happen in terms of this happening or not.

The point is, even if the CAT case takes longer to start, the PL will not want any of this playing out in public. Even if they drag their feet and stick to their guns regarding the takeover, this CAT case will damage them more than any fallout from allowing Saudi to take control of nufc. Even if PIF walked away, Mike Ashley is in this now and would see it through regardless. So either way the PL will lose out.

So they will have to settle.

The other alternative is too grim to think about so let’s just cross that bridge if we come to it.

The CAT is what is going to tighten the screw on the EPL imho however We just need to know the outcome of the case.... All this waiting is no good for our health