Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

A list of players w  he o were worth fuck all in transfer value. Diame was offered a one year deal but didn’t accept.

Gayle is worth fuck all in transfer value, which is why we’ve failed to sell him for the past three seasons running.

Plus, as I said earlier, we already know he’d rather sit on his contract with us rather than lower his wage. So when are we likely to sell him? :lol: 

Edited by Fantail Breeze

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Gayle is worth fuck all in transfer value, which is why we’ve failed to sell him for the past three seasons running.

Plus, as I said earlier, we already know he’d rather sit on his contract with us rather than lower his wage. So when are we likely to sell him? :lol: 

You will get a minimum of 5 million (more likely 8) for Gayle off a Championship club (where he has a proven record for being one of the top scorers in the division), far more than zero that’s for sure. He will be away this Summer.

Edited by et tu brute

Next 7 days are crucial for me. This is the end game for cat and mouse

I think MA is directing NDM et al to go all in regardless of outcome. I think its 40/60 at best against us!

If there's no agreement, I think it shows the PL are resolute in their opinion!

I've convinced myself it isn't happening, to save the disappointment later. We don't get good things and if we do, they don't last. Knowing our luck PIF would probably withdraw a year or two in for some unforeseen circumstance and send us down the leagues!

That little bit of faith is what the positive thread is which is why I'm not at all annoyed by it. Manifesting...

7 hours ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I know the whole point of a forum is to discuss things, but people going on like they know what's happening makes me laugh.

"It's arbitration or nothing" etc.

We don't have a clue man, it's ok to say you don't know.

The first legal decision will be out this week. If the rumours (I still will wait and see for definite first after the shit rumours we have had aplenty this year), that although a decision against the Premier League will not mean either case will be won by a long way, it will be a definite positive as it will show that a Judge has agreed that the evidence/documentation/arguments submitted by Ashley’s legal team is strong enough for the CAT case to proceed.

On the other hand if the judge sides with the Premier League and throws the CAT case out, then this has to be a big blow, even though the arbitration case has still to be held. Ashley and his legal team have deliberately attempted a ‘pincer movement’ by putting increased pressure with initiating the CAT case, with the threat of highlighting alleged corruption involving a number of parties. This may or may not leave the Premier League in a totally precarious position, with the only get out being to make a deal. It’s viral in my opinion that this threat is still in okay come this week. We need the screw with the pressure to keep being screwed ever more tightly. We wait and see hopefully for an early announcement this week for the decision.

Edited by et tu brute

My take on current situation:

the PL offer a deal to approve the takeover via arbitration IF Ashley drop the CAT case. This way the PL don't lose face and Ashley got what he wants. But Ashley maybe smell blood or don't believe that the PL will hold their part of the deal decides to wait for the arbitration result before dropping the CAT case. But the PL won't let the arbitration goes Ashley way if Ashley won't drop the CAT case. Repeat.

Edited by veriaqa

16 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

My take on current situation:

the PL offer a deal to approve the takeover via arbitration IF Ashley drop the CAT case. This way the PL don't lose face and Ashley got what he wants. But Ashley maybe smell blood or don't believe that the PL will hold their part of the deal decides to wait for the arbitration result before dropping the CAT case. But the PL won't let the arbitration goes Ashley way if Ashley won't drop the CAT case. Repeat.

if Ashley’s reported bold statement a couple of weeks ago is because he knows that the evidence his legal team holds is absolute  dynamite (I don’t have a scooby obviously before someone chirps in), then you can bet your bottom dollar he will go full in for the kill on all fronts. We will just have to wait and see as despite a rumour, we don’t even know if the CAT case will even be in play, come this week’s decision. Frustrating the wait is, best just to let the legals play out and see how it plays out.

If the events of the past few weeks are anything to go by then the corruption in the Premier league is horrific and Masters is up to his neck in it, I think the best way to get the takeover done is the current method of blackmailing them forcing them to let it through or other stuff that will embarrass them will get released.

What a way to start a takeover eh?

Guest HTT II
23 minutes ago, Ben said:

If the events of the past few weeks are anything to go by then the corruption in the Premier league is horrific and Masters is up to his neck in it, I think the best way to get the takeover done is the current method of blackmailing them forcing them to let it through or other stuff that will embarrass them will get released.

What a way to start a takeover eh?

I think Ashley wants their corruption exposed even more than the takeover/the money now even at the expense of a takeover. 

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I think Ashley wants their corruption exposed even more than the takeover/the money now even at the expanse of a takeover. 

Usually I would say you’re right, but I suspect that he may have deals lined up in Saudi for Sports Direct on the back of the takeover. He has also been a pretty regular visitor to the Middle East this past year. Just got a sneaky feeling this is in the offing, as he’s fought like crazy for this deal and has also refused to talk to any other potential buyers.

I am quietly confident this is going to ultimately go through, and that's all that will mater in the end.

Mike Ashley and his bunch of cronies are nasty pieces of work when it comes to business dealings and it is very amusing seeing that all being directed at the premier league.  I think it's quite clear now that he really wants to sell and was pissed off about what happened last summer. He's not going to let this go at all.

Edited by KaKa

@et tu bruteThere are already sports direct stores in KSA, although I believe the one in Jeddah has closed down. It’s reasonably easy to set up a sports shop here, getting the backing of the government seems a bit overkill :lol:

Edited by McCormick

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Man, the premier league are in so much trouble over this. You can just tell they did something really dodgy and stupid last summer. 

That’s what we all believe to be true, but unless this can be proven then it won’t mean anything for us in the end 

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think Ashley wants their corruption exposed even more than the takeover/the money now even at the expense of a takeover. 

Thats really idiotic from Ashley part. He needs to concentrate on how the takeover can be over the line. Typical of him he would like to gamble on our future.

I'd imagine the pay-off would be getting the full £340m through the takeover being passed, together with the PL covering any losses, for example covering the cost of a reduced takeover price together with any loss of business revenue, ie deals that he had set up etc.

I'd love to know where the PL would find ~£400m from. I doubt that they have insurance to cover that.

Nah, Ashley wants to sell to these lot because they’ve probably not discounted him on value like everyone else has, they have connections to markets he wants to get involved in and it’s clearly the most advantageous and connected buyer group he’s ever had talks with. 

Right now he’s spent millions on legal fees and has had 0 in return for this but an asset he doesn’t want to own any longer.

12 hours ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I know the whole point of a forum is to discuss things, but people going on like they know what's happening makes me laugh.

"It's arbitration or nothing" etc.

We don't have a clue man, it's ok to say you don't know.

To add further to this, even if we did know exactly what is happening right now - or could deduce it by piecing together things off Twitter - we don't know the future.  Someone could have said in June 2020 that the takeover was hours away from completion and there was a Whitehall meeting being organised in anticipation , and been completely correct, if you believe the article. But it turns out that wasn't a guarantee it was actually going to happen.

12 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I'd imagine the pay-off would be getting the full £340m through the takeover being passed, together with the PL covering any losses, for example covering the cost of a reduced takeover price together with any loss of business revenue, ie deals that he had set up etc.

I'd love to know where the PL would find ~£400m from. I doubt that they have insurance to cover that.

I don't see how you would get the £340m plus the costs for a reduced sale price, more likely to be the difference between £340m and the lower sales value. 

The issues here are (a) there is no other offer so losses equal £340m and (b) a reduced sales price puts a marker on how overvalued premier league clubs are. That's not going to be popular with the greedy 6, or indeed good for the PLs business image. 

Basically unless they win the PL are in a right mess. 

Tremendous 

10 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I don't see how you would get the £340m plus the costs for a reduced sale price, more likely to be the difference between £340m and the lower sales value. 

The issues here are (a) there is no other offer so losses equal £340m and (b) a reduced sales price puts a marker on how overvalued premier league clubs are. That's not going to be popular with the greedy 6, or indeed good for the PLs business image. 

Basically unless they win the PL are in a right mess. 

Tremendous 

Just my layman's opinion but I think the PL are screwed in the CAT case, even if they win the arbitration, because I think the O&D test itself will probably be found to be anti-competitive.

I just can't see how the concept of an O&D test that restricts ownership of football clubs way beyond that of any other business, that isn't backed up by primary government legislation, will stand up to competition law. For the same reason that the ESL collapsed, the ESL clubs were absolutely confident that the PL's rule that they can't enter other competitions without PL approval would not stand up under competition law, but when the government came out and said that they would legislate to prevent clubs from joining the ESL the game was up.