Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

That make absolutely no fucking sense at all.

I think 90% of his tweets don't make sense. I used to have to re-read his tweets all the time and still have no idea what it was he was getting at. Normally sticking up for the Premier league.

This puts pressure and the spotlight on the Premier League, the more they stay silent and avoid scrutiny the worse it looks for them, imo they will have to respond. Staying silent will bring the government into it, something they don't clearly want.

The owners who object to the deal are concerned that the involvement of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) at St James’ Park will mean a cash injection into the club that will mirror Sheikh Mansour’s spending at Manchester City or Roman Abramovich’s at Chelsea.

So it's OK for them to spend what they like but nobody else can.[emoji38]

So the two in question were Liverpool and Spurs wasn't it, and that's just an alleged suspicion of course. Closed shop cartel, Boris described the ESL, and perhaps by extension the big 6, as one and the big 6 executives claiming we don't want a more democratic league, or more "Leicester Citys."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-superclubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html Leicester quote 

“We don’t want too many Leicester Citys" one. 

(These were the words spoken by a senior figure from the Premier League’s ‘big six’ clubs, in the kind of high-end London hotel you can easily imagine.

“Football history suggests fans like big teams winning,” the official continued, to the group of business people and media figures present. “A certain amount of unpredictability is good, but a more democratic league would be bad for business.”)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/20/european-super-league-amounts-to-a-cartel-says-boris-johnson Cartel quote 

Football was “one of the great glories of this country’s cultural heritage”, Johnson told the Downing Street press conference, adding: “How can it be right when you have a situation where you create a kind of cartel that stops clubs competing against each other?”

1 hour ago, Scoot said:

The owners who object to the deal are concerned that the involvement of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) at St James’ Park will mean a cash injection into the club that will mirror Sheikh Mansour’s spending at Manchester City or Roman Abramovich’s at Chelsea.

So it's OK for them to spend what they like but nobody else can.[emoji38]

Yeah, that was the whole point of Project 'lets get all the money, dictate who buys rival clubs and never get relegated'......closely followed by European 'we're so arrogant, we're the 12 best clubs in the world, and lets get all the money in a closed competition, admitting teams only we like'

Six clubs, all utter utter cunts.

Edited by Bimpy474

Will her letter fall on deaf ears? This all depends on how the government feel about it. They like Saudi money, like it a lot. If they have an excuse to get involved I think they might but the thing is that this is uncharted waters, there’s literally no precedent for what we’re facing.

The media mainly don’t seem to care. The bbc didn’t report the clubs statement at all iirc?

This is it, there really hasn't been much of a push on this in the media, considering how far reaching the outcome could be. The Prem is potentially going to be proven as a competition restricting cartel, makes you wonder how many in the media are on the gravy train in some way too.

7 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Will her letter fall on deaf ears? This all depends on how the government feel about it. They like Saudi money, like it a lot. If they have an excuse to get involved I think they might but the thing is that this is uncharted waters, there’s literally no precedent for what we’re facing.

The media mainly don’t seem to care. The bbc didn’t report the clubs statement at all iirc?

The government could have nipped this long ago.

The football authorities have taken the piss, and not just about us. The EFL situation where they let Bury go bust, whilst at the same time worked with Bolton to ensure they survived. The whole debate last year on if they should cancel seasons or not coming far too late to make any decision and force clubs into making the only viable alternative. The whole backing of the top 6 clubs plans to steal football.

The FA trying to sell Wembley in order to give grassroots football the money they already should have had. The inability to put in any funding or adequate training for new coaches or referee’s, alongside leavening the responsibility to train kids to each clubs academy, when every other country is pretty much doing it direct through their FA’s.

The Premier League have long since been lost to the big 6, and before that the top 4. There is reasonable logic behind the thinking that they were not in the dark about the ESL as they made out to be, and then the punishment against them is laughable. They were certainly in talks about project big picture before the ESL talks. Then there is the whole lack of funding to the EFL and grassroots where they have basically not even held any talks with the ESL, but said they would. Where have we heard that before.

The government should have fucked them right up the area straight away.

They should have either threatened to pull their elite sports status, which allows them to play during the pandemic, or told them that the Premier League is a matter of national interest and all games should be shown on terrestrial TV free of charge. Pull the rug from under the fuckers instead of keep asking them to do something.

These tickets aren’t going to play by the rules, they don’t even know what the rules are, you think they care if a clubs go bust, if fans suffer, if football is unbalanced, if a poor area of the country is denied investment because of their decisions? These fuckers care about what their bank balance says and how their mates at the top clubs are happy and filling their wallets.

Edited by Stifler

9 minutes ago, LV said:

Bbc don’t care about the north east really. They are very London and North West focused. 

And its a chore to cede some mostly aesthics to the north-west, they'd be up in arms at another sect of turnip heads even further north getting in on the racquet.

11 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

This is it, there really hasn't been much of a push on this in the media, considering how far reaching the outcome could be. The Prem is potentially going to be proven as a competition restricting cartel, makes you wonder how many in the media are on the gravy train in some way too.

"Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? for if all prosper, none dare call it treason"

6 hours ago, RS said:

It’s great PR and gets the general public on the clubs side. Painting the EPL in a bad light even if they have nothing to hide. 

Until we win and forget all about it. PL corruption? Don't know nowt about it.

1 minute ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

The irony of going to one of Bozza Johnson's Tory MPs and asking them to promote transparency and good governance :memelol:

Don’t forget though, Johnson is a populist and if he thinks that keeping football supporters happy, and not just NUFC supporters, he might see transparency in football as a winner for him. There’s also the Saudi money that pours into the country, he’d welcome more of that.

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Don’t forget though, Johnson is a populist and if he thinks that keeping football supporters happy, and not just NUFC supporters, he might see transparency in football as a winner for him. There’s also the Saudi money that pours into the country, he’d welcome more of that.

Is the Newcastle saga likely to impact that really tho?  Genuine question btw, I know the Arab nation hold a great deal of weight to honour and may see this as a sleight but similarly they need to invest in the west as much as we need investment, so they could well just move on quickly.  

I know they've stuck it out thus far but would losing it mean a great deal to their overall investment portfolio or their reputation, it's hardly front page news?

3 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Is the Newcastle saga likely to impact that really tho?  Genuine question btw, I know the Arab nation hold a great deal of weight to honour and may see this as a sleight but similarly they need to invest in the west as much as we need investment, so they could well just move on quickly.  

I know they've stuck it out thus far but would losing it mean a great deal to their overall investment portfolio or their reputation, it's hardly front page news?

Buying a PL club is a small purchase in regard to their overall investment portfolio,  however given the popularity of the PL worldwide it’s, in its self, a very significant purchase. The exposure it will give to the Saudi brand is huge something no other league can provide.

They could move on of course, however in the sporting/ football world, where?

16 minutes ago, 1964 said:

From Johnson's point of view, PIF purchasing NUFC and investing into the local area (as happened with ManCity) is the easiest and cheapest way for Boris to say at the next election, "look how I kept my promise to the North East - I said we'd bring investment to the North East and here it is!"

This is why I would think that Johnson would/should be very pro-active about helping the takeover be completed.

2 hours ago, 1964 said:

There might be the possibility that if the takeover goes through - PIF might invest in other sporting institutions in the UK in other sports.

If PIF perceive themselves to be 'unwelcome' in UK sports then obivously they will take their spondooleys elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Montey said:

From Johnson's point of view, PIF purchasing NUFC and investing into the local area (as happened with ManCity) is the easiest and cheapest way for Boris to say at the next election, "look how I kept my promise to the North East - I said we'd bring investment to the North East and here it is!"

This is why I would think that Johnson would/should be very pro-active about helping the takeover be completed.

But the North East is traditionally a Lsbout stronghold.  He may take the point of view that whatever he does that won't change so why bother supporting the takeover!!!

11 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

But the North East is traditionally a Lsbout stronghold.  He may take the point of view that whatever he does that won't change so why bother supporting the takeover!!!

If he gets the takeover I will vote for him this one time.