Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

The PL haven't fucked themselves or painted themselves into a corner, they've simply been exposed for what they are.

In an ideal world, the regulatory body would be neutral, wouldn't be beholden to influential stakeholders or commercial interests and decisions would be taken on a purely objective level.

The premier league have shown themselves to be nothing more than a pliable instrument to be used by the rich and influential as a weapon to club down anyone that might challenge their elevated status.

Competition is dead, corruption is the rule and if you're not in the club then fuck you, you're not getting in.

So how do they get out of this? Do nothing? Ain't going to work now, they have to make a decision and take a side.

I'm not sure they do. It's just going to be ignored as they have down for 4 month until it goes away.

That isn't happening now. It was, but the buyers blew them out of the water and exposed that tactic. Pretty much every outside body has said they need to explain themselves or come up with a decision, including the government.

They’re not accountable to the government though. You’re still clutching at straws here.

This.

It doesn't matter who says what. If and when they do actually say something it'll be them telling us it's a confidential process, they stand by it and it wasn't succesful/buyers walked away.

They don't have to do anything, they don't have to be transparent about their process regardless who tells them to.  If they don't want to let them in, it's unfortunately up to them.

I don’t know why so many of our fans choose not to believe these clear and obvious facts. It’s like this is the first time some have ever seen corruption and vested interests.

The PL doesn’t have very many obligations at all.

If PIF persist with this bid, it'll be fascinating to see what breaks the deadlock.

PL know they can't legally reject it, otherwise they already would have. But they don't want to piss off Qatar and the PL adult table. One of them has to happen.

The PL haven't fucked themselves or painted themselves into a corner, they've simply been exposed for what they are.

In an ideal world, the regulatory body would be neutral, wouldn't be beholden to influential stakeholders or commercial interests and decisions would be taken on a purely objective level.

The premier league have shown themselves to be nothing more than a pliable instrument to be used by the rich and influential as a weapon to club down anyone that might challenge their elevated status.

Competition is dead, corruption is the rule and if you're not in the club then fuck you, you're not getting in.

So how do they get out of this? Do nothing? Ain't going to work now, they have to make a decision and take a side.

I'm not sure they do. It's just going to be ignored as they have down for 4 month until it goes away.

That isn't happening now. It was, but the buyers blew them out of the water and exposed that tactic. Pretty much every outside body has said they need to explain themselves or come up with a decision, including the government.

They’re not accountable to the government though. You’re still clutching at straws here.

This.

It doesn't matter who says what. If and when they do actually say something it'll be them telling us it's a confidential process, they stand by it and it wasn't succesful/buyers walked away.

They don't have to do anything, they don't have to be transparent about their process regardless who tells them to.  If they don't want to let them in, it's unfortunately up to them.

I don’t know why so many of our fans choose not to believe these clear and obvious facts. It’s like this is the first time some have ever seen corruption and vested interests.

The PL doesn’t have very many obligations at all.

How do you know that they have no obligation to make a decision one way or the other? Show us the proof of this.

If PIF persist with this bid, it'll be fascinating to see what breaks the deadlock.

PL know they can't legally reject it, otherwise they already would have. But they don't want to piss off Qatar and the PL adult table. One of them has to happen.

I don't think the issue is necessarily the Premier League being worried about pissing off beIN, ultimately the Premier League is the No.1 football league in the world in terms of viewing demand, beIN need the Premier League more than the Premier League need beIN and beIN are not going to cut off their nose to spite their face.

I don't think the Premier League are likely to be caught in the middle as is being suggested, the Premier League are just as likely to be pissed off that their product has been pirated in an a large scale in Saudi Arabia, without consequences, and they are making the process as difficult as possible for the Saudis as a consequence.

The bid has been withdrawn.  The PL are no longer considering it.  The matter is currently closed.  Whether the pressure from the petition, MPs letters etc. leads to anything we will see.  I suspect not, but I hope I am wrong on all accounts.

The bid has been withdrawn.  The PL are no longer considering it.  The matter is currently closed.  Whether the pressure from the petition, MPs letters etc. leads to anything we will see.  I suspect not, but I hope I am wrong on all accounts.

You’ve just assumed that and passed it off as fact

Didn't someone say that they hadn't officially withdrawn it to the PL, like their was some official paperwork that had to be submitted to get them to stop with the tests, and this hadn't been done. They just told the media they were done to try and force the PLs hand?

Guest Cheesy Beans

so we're 100% sure that the saudis publicly "withdrawing" means the PL haven't just chucked it all in the bin are we?  i'd imagine notice would need sending the PL to stop the process, we know this hasn't happened do we?

The only thing they ‘withdrew’ was a bid which had expired a month before.

It’s still ongoing.

you realise this makes no sense at all i assume?

We’ll see...

Guest Cheesy Beans

Didn't someone say that they hadn't officially withdrawn it to the PL, like their was some official paperwork that had to be submitted to get them to stop with the tests, and this hadn't been done. They just told the media they were done to try and force the PLs hand?

Correct.

Yes, the PL said it hadn't been withdrawn.

How do you know that they have no obligation to make a decision one way or the other? Show us the proof of this.

Why do I need to prove anything to you? It’s self evident.

The PL doesn’t have to do anything. Why do they? Sure, the rules say they need to have an answer in five days (or ten, I can’t remember). They haven’t. Why not? Because there’s nothing to make them.

From the reporting I’ve read, the impasse seems to be that the PL has requested that the consortium make amendments to their directors before they will approve the sale. PIF/KSA have declined to do so. If that scenario is correct, what exactly are they doing “wrong” by giving the consortium more time to make the required adjustments.

In fact, you could even argue that the PL has done more than they needed to in giving them the opportunity to change their application. They should have rejected it, but they haven’t - see how fair they are being? (Just getting people ready for next week’s press)

The PL has lots of rules it doesn’t enforce. Because no one makes them. Except, occasionally, commercial partners who ask for rules to be sort-of enforced.

Maybe it’s just the first time some people have been victims of Qatari corruption. Me, I remember when the English FA... chose to vote for Qatar 2022 instead of Australia (despite private assurances).

Correct.

They didn't just tell the media, though. They made a statement to the media, which translates as telling the interested world. It wasn't just something Staveley told Caulkin, over dinner.

The PL doesn’t have to do anything. Why do they? Sure, the rules say they need to have an answer in five days (or ten, I can’t remember). They haven’t. Why not? Because there’s nothing to make them.

From the reporting I’ve read, the impasse seems to be that the PL has requested that the consortium make amendments to their directors before they will approve the sale. PIF/KSA have declined to do so. If that scenario is correct, what exactly are they doing “wrong” by giving the consortium more time to make the required adjustments.

In fact, you could even argue that the PL has done more than they needed to in giving them the opportunity to change their application. They should have rejected it, but they haven’t - see how fair they are being? (Just getting people ready for next week’s press)

The PL has lots of rules it doesn’t enforce. Because no one makes them. Except, occasionally, commercial partners who ask for rules to be sort-of enforced.

Maybe it’s just the first time some people have been victims of Qatari corruption. Me, I remember when the English FA... chose to vote for Qatar 2022 instead of Australia (despite private assurances).

You need to prove it because you presented your opinion as if it were a known fact.

Nothing is self evident here. Nobody has a clue what, if anything, is going on in the background.

You suggesting that the PL have to do nothing from here on is nothing more than your own personal opinion.

You need to prove it because you presented your opinion as if it were a known fact.

Nothing is self evident here. Nobody has a clue what, if anything, is going on in the background.

You suggesting that the PL have to do nothing from here on is nothing more than your own personal opinion.

Mate, you’re kidding yourself.

I notice you have not addressed my... thesis. Because you don’t have an argument.

EDIT: Actually, I’ll play your stupid game, Rafa style.

It’s a fact that the PL is obliged to provide a response to the O&D test within five days (PL rule f.1.3)

Its a fact that they can request amendments that give the applicants ten days to get their directors list in order (PL rule f. 1.2).

It’s a fact that they have not adhered to those rules as written - unless, for four months, there has been a 4-9-4-9 day bouncing between PL and PIF.

It’s a fact that the consortium has not taken legal steps against the... improper processing of their application - at least, they have not announced it.

Would very much like to see Masters dragged in with Hastings, Arnott and Fleming to have his bullshit unpicked and exposed, before "Urgent Exit Required" and the Qatari lot swoop in to save him. However, Ted's been onto the Saudis who are one step ahead and gun them all down. Takeover then approved by new the PL Chief Executive, Kevin Keegan.

As a fan base is anyone involved actually going to tell us what happened or nah?

Got a feeling when we do hear from the PL it’ll be a crap statement clearing absolutely nothing up.

When?

Guest Cheesy Beans

Correct.

They didn't just tell the media, though. They made a statement to the media, which translates as telling the interested world. It wasn't just something Staveley told Caulkin, over dinner.

Words aren’t enough - if they wanted to pull out it’d have to be written.

As I said, all they’ve said in their statements is they have withdrawn their bid. The same bid which had already expired a month before their statement... But the PL checks were still ongoing. If the bid was already irrelevant to the checks after it expired in June, it’s certainly irrelevant now.

When?

Within the 1st 24hrs after the public withdrawal. Wasn't official but through the usual channels.

Guest Cheesy Beans

When?

They were asked after the statement if withdrawals to the O&D test had been submitted, PL said it hadn’t. Media haven’t followed up and asked again - thats because they’re being quiet on the matter for a reason.

That will definitely be their angle if they ever do have to make a statement, and I think that's fair enough to a point. But when PIFs answer* is to say no we don't think that's fair and we're not making amendments to our proposed directors then the PL really should (as you're kind of alluding to) be formally rejecting it.

* this is an assumption based on staveleys comments- of course nobody knows what exactly has happened apart from the parties involved in the negotiations.

Fucking hell. I did not know that our own FA voted for Qatar :lol: not really sure why I'm surprised either.