Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Out of interest, if you buy the rights to a region then I assume countries in that region are more than entitled to just not broadcast the service? Or are the rights sold by the PL dependent on countries committing to allow the broadcasts?

I just don't get what SA have down wrong? They've stamped down on the piracy which is great, but also cancelled beINs service as a result of a long-standing court case.

I appreciate beINs rights have lost some value but so what? It doesn't seem related to fit and proper tests and don't get why the PL care - now the piracy aspect is resolved. They've got their money.

There's a lot to criticise Saudi over, but the banning of BEin is hardly a scandal. Why should any country be forced to be part of region-wide broadcasting deals? From what I read, BEin have/had the rights for multiple sports across the region including international football, NBA, tennis and Formula 1. Not only that, it looks like they seemed to be throwing entertainment in as part of their package. Imagine that was happening in Europe and a French or German company were controlling all of that.

Assuming this is the case, I see absolutely no reason why any country shouldn't seek to take action to stop the company broadcasting. It's like the NFL forcing Brits to subscribe to a German subscription service that is expensive and encompasses a whole range of other sports and entertainment shows and films that British broadcasting companies like Sky, the BBC or BT would otherwise seek to get and buy themselves. What's the point in a Saudi broadcasting company trying to buy other rights or access to entertainment already being shown on BEin.

Ultimately it’s up to the Saudis. If they decide bein can’t broadcast then that’s it.

I don’t think it’s a difficult concept to grasp.

So why have people said it's a potential blocker? I get it's antagonistic but nothing to do with the takeover really. Piracy - yes I get that.

Ultimately it’s up to the Saudis. If they decide bein can’t broadcast then that’s it.

So why have people said it's a potential blocker? I get it's antagonistic but nothing to do with the takeover really. Piracy - yes I get that.

I think Qatar have done an excellent job at controlling the narrative. The consortium have left an information vacuum and Qatar have been more than happy to fill this.

Maybe we dodged a bullet. They do seem a bit temperamental.

Our new owners may be temperamental, but I have no problem with that, I could imagine they will become very "totally involved" with the club because of it, as will Staveley (certainly) and the Reubens (probably).

Lots to look forward to.

Guest awaymag

I think Qatar have done an excellent job at controlling the narrative. The consortium have left an information vacuum and Qatar have been more than happy to fill this.

Or the consortium are under NDAs and so cant provide information (or limited) whilst the other can say what it likes..........

Didn’t realize until last few days that BeIn monopolizes the region. That’s insane to force upon individual countries and when you couple that with the politics of the region it’s hardly unreasonable position to take if you don’t want to have to pay them for this.

Guest chopey

Didn’t realize until last few days that BeIn monopolizes the region. That’s insane to force upon individual countries and when you couple that with the politics of the region it’s hardly unreasonable position to take if you don’t want to have to pay them for this.

Aye and it looks like the other countries are fighting back with their own deals through different mediums, the Joshua fight like I said before was an interesting method of broadcasting a major sporting event in their different countries without setting up a whole new TV network. 

I'm pleased it's changed, was sick of the sight of the old thread title like

Wait until you see this one for the next four months.

As a representative of the "Manorparkians Group" I can tell you that you will not be seeing this Thread Title (unchanged) for the next four months.

In fact I can formally announce that Takeover Day WILL BE on Monday 27th July 2020.

(Remember, you read it here first . . )

As a representative of the "Manorparkians Group" I can tell you that you will not be seeing this Thread Title (unchanged) for the next four months.

In fact I can formally announce that Takeover Day WILL BE on Monday 27th July 2020.

Why are you so confident? You know full well there's a very decent chance it will be rejected.

Great title tbf, midds has definitely been sitting on that for a bit.

Ah sod it, I need some positive thoughts about the club right now. Hand me the M.W.O t shirt, I'll join up.

Why are you so confident? You know full well there's a very decent chance it will be rejected.

I know full well that I could easily win the Lottery, but like a lot of things that I know could happen, I'm certain that they will not happen.

I am equally certain that the rejection of the Staveley/PIF/Reubens takeover of our club will also NOT happen.

It would be illogical and just plain wrong, so it will not be rejected.

Exactly. There are a lot of reasons put forward to stop the takeover, however if it was this that ended up stopping it, it wouldn't feel just for me.

and im going away for a few days as well. Typical as the cans will have to wait.  :kasper:

Ah sod it, I need some positive thoughts about the club right now. Hand me the M.W.O t shirt, I'll join up.

Not sure exactly what M.W.O. stands for (dare I ask?) but welcome to the club. You are member No. 4 !!!!

I wanna be in your gang  :snod: :snod:

I wanna be in your gang

Welcome, "Member No.5"  !!!!!