Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Maybe Mike Ashley is waiting for a money transfer from the Saudis?

I was thinking the same. There was earlier news about announcement after the money transfer process is done?

Makes no sense for Ashley to make things difficult at this point. I think golfmag is reliable source, so just seems so weird.

Hopefully this will finally be over this week.

Most positive spin:

Tests have passed, PL were going to announce. MA says not until the money has transferred.

don't think the PL themselves would ever announce it, just goes through the club and allows the final steps of the takeover once its approved and an announcement on the club website probably when its done

Guest neesy111

Golfmag hasn’t been on to confirm it’s his Twitter right?

It is his twitter though.

Yeah, can tell it's him :)

Fingers crossed then.

Not allowing myself to believe until it’s official though.

I'm more pessimistic now than I was before, if its with Ashley then something will go wrong.

Didn’t Caulkin say that any correspondence goes through the current owners first and they then have to contact the buyers ?

He did. Which is fucking remarkable. Makes no sense on any level; commercial, moral, logistical or financial.

Of course it makes sense. Ashley is a member and a "passed" (fuck knows how) director. PIF are not. The PL has a relationship and obligation to Ashley, not to whoever he's trying to sell to.

Nah Chris what Minhosa is saying is that it doesn’t make sense for the club’s attorneys to be the middle person for questions directly related to the acquisition with respect to questions only PIF is able to answer. In theory if Barnes is forwarded or on these correspondence he could easily pass on information (breaking confidentiality) to someone not involved or competing to buy.

In any case I’ve been on both sides of deals related to M&A and I’ve never in my life seen a process conducted like this - more so the league wanting clarification from PIF on something, so sends email to MA’s attorneys, and then those attorneys reach out to PIF and so on. That is not market practices imo.

This.

Fingers crossed then.

I'm more pessimistic now than I was before, if its with Ashley then something will go wrong.

Its not with Ashley, he's long passed deciding on owt, he's just waiting for his money.

Fingers crossed then.

It’s a public holiday in Saudi id expect delays due to this.

Fingers crossed then.

Its not with Ashley, he's long passed deciding on owt, he's just waiting for his money.

Except he's heard he'll get £50m more if he manages to cancel this and go with Mauriss...

Fingers crossed then.

Except he's heard he'll get £50m more if he manages to cancel this and go with Mauriss...

£10m more, surely?

Fingers crossed then.

£10m more, surely?

Would Ashley really screw over some of the most powerful people on the planet at this stage for an extra £10m, I doubt it.

Fingers crossed then.

£10m more, surely?

Would Ashley really screw over some of the most powerful people on the planet at this stage for an extra £10m, I doubt it.

Which is why I don't think that's the case.

Guest chopey

“The last bid, the one from UAE, he’s a prince and he’s got £38bn or £100bn, all these numbers — well, why would you even care what you’re paying then? What difference would £10m either way make? You would want speed, you would want certainty, you would want the keys and to get on with it.”

Ashleys quote from last years bid

£10m or £50m, really is a massive gamble to try and stop this sale and go for another party. As we’ve seen so many times deals like this can fall through or stop due to unforeseen circumstances and the Mauriss bid is littered with question marks from the beginning. If you put all the legal ramifications and making an enemy of KSA to one side, there is still little benefit and huge risk in trying to swap the bidding party at this stage For the sake of a relatively small amount of money.

it’s the most unlikely scenario I can imagine, though and I’m sure everyone is the same, you just wouldn’t bet against Ashley being so thick and stubborn to do it and it all blowing up in everyone’s faces.