Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Expedited just means that it’s happening a bit sooner than the process normally would.

They do seem very keen to know the amount the club are claiming, my worry would be that they’ll see this amount as a calculated loss if they can pay the money but not have to change their stance on the takeover.

That would be worst case scenario, Mike Ashley getting what he wants and us being stuck with no investment.. and Steve Bruce..

Talk about worst case scenarios, the only thing that could top it would be for the Saudis to go and buy Man U once the case is over 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Talk about worst case scenarios, the only thing that could top it would be for the Saudis to go and buy Man U once the case is over 

Given how much they would stand to lose from a Saudi takeover I should imagine the big 6 will be willing to foot quite a hefty compensation to prevent this.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

It may be the EPL's insurers are wanting to know how much compo they might be liable for.  If its a lot and I expect it will be knowing Ashley, they may advise the EPL that they will only cough up a certain percentage of the compo if they lose, and the EPL will have to find the rest, or agree to settle out of court and allow the takeover to go through.  

37 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

Given how much they would stand to lose from a Saudi takeover I should imagine the big 6 will be willing to foot quite a hefty compensation to prevent this.

Again surely this would be breeching the anti competition rules/regulations

4 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

It may be the EPL's insurers are wanting to know how much compo they might be liable for.  If its a lot and I expect it will be knowing Ashley, they may advise the EPL that they will only cough up a certain percentage of the compo if they lose, and the EPL will have to find the rest, or agree to settle out of court and allow the takeover to go through.  

You say that like it's a deal breaker for them but perhaps it's not. Perhaps many of the members would prefer to shell out a few million each for a greater likelihood of us going nowhere/being relegated under Ashley and Bruce.

Give Spurs a choice of us with Saudi or without and them having to shell out £5m of the Kane monies and I reckon they'd opt for the latter.

1 hour ago, Minhosa said:

You say that like it's a deal breaker for them but perhaps it's not. Perhaps many of the members would prefer to shell out a few million each for a greater likelihood of us going nowhere/being relegated under Ashley and Bruce.

Give Spurs a choice of us with Saudi or without and them having to shell out £5m of the Kane monies and I reckon they'd opt for the latter.

As long as the fans don't get punished. 

46 minutes ago, GWN said:

Imagine the scenes if this is all about compo, some will explode .

:facepalm:

The Claimant seeks:

(1)Damages for loss of profit or, alternatively, loss of opportunity.

(2)An injunction requiring the Defendant to withdraw the Director Decision and/or to reconsider the same.

(3)Interest.

(4)Costs.

(5)Such further or other relief as the Tribunal considers appropriate.

Whatever the end result is, this is not only about compo... This is getting ridiculous that people keep spouting bullshit like this.

Edited by veriaqa

Ashley is not just seeking compensation, that is clear. But what about if the court decision awards in his favour, but only grants him the financial compensation. Is that a possibility?

9 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Ashley is not just seeking compensation, that is clear. But what about if the court decision awards in his favour, but only grants him the financial compensation. Is that a possibility?

Course it is, we are NUFC and we don't get nice things.

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I would imagine it's a possibility, and for me it's probably the most likely outcome. 

But don't say it too loud. 

23 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I would imagine it's a possibility, and for me it's probably the most likely outcome. 

But don't say it too loud. 

It's ok though, someone else will be interested in buying the club next summer. Give us something to #wait for.

21 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I don't think they can force the PL to change their decision on the takeover, so yes that's surely a possibility.

The action asks them to reconsider it, which they could pretend to do, and still say no, or just delay.

That said, then you've got arbitration afterwards.

And if you've publicly lost a case about acting uncompetitively, and the arbitration panel has to publish their reasons (due to the previous legal case about possible bias), I'd say you'd think hard.

You see, this is why I'm not a lawyer.

35 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Course it is, we are NUFC and we don't get nice things.

We are NUFC, the club that I have supported through "all types" of times since 1967.

We do frequently get (to use your words) "nice things", of course we do.

Soon, we will get VERY nice things That is inevitable, as I am sure most of us now realise.

1 minute ago, manorpark said:

We are NUFC, the club that I have supported through "all types" of times since 1967.

Soon, we will get VERY nice things That is inevitable, as I am sure most of us now realise.

You get the impression most of the fans on here think the takeover will happen? :lol:

12 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I don't think they can force the PL to change their decision on the takeover, so yes that's surely a possibility.

The action asks them to reconsider it, which they could pretend to do, and still say no, or just delay.

That said, then you've got arbitration afterwards.

And if you've publicly lost a case about acting uncompetitively, and the arbitration panel has to publish their reasons (due to the previous legal case about possible bias), I'd say you'd think hard.

You see, this is why I'm not a lawyer.

The arbitration decision will come a long time before the CAT case is resolved though. The CAT case could drag on into next year. Which will no doubt be exactly what the PL intend to do.

To be honest, I think the odds are massively, massively stacked against us in the arbitration. Not because we do not have a strong case, but because Beloff, the supposedly "neutral" QC who has the final say, is very obviously going to side with them. I mean he literally re-wrote the O&D test for the PL to exclude buyers with a link to piracy so he is hardly going to go in hard against the very rules that he came up with himself, is he?

We just have to hope that the CAT case is approved, the evidence that Ashley holds is extremely strong and also that the court has the power to force the takeover to happen because I'm not holding out much hope of arbitration going our way. I think the odds are generally stacked against us, to be honest. But I maintain that nobody outside of the claimant & defendant has a clue on the intricate details of what is happening in the background.

22 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

You get the impression most of the fans on here think the takeover will happen? :lol:

Everything worth taking into account points towards the logical outcome of a successful takeover, and a VERY exciting future for NUFC.

1 hour ago, manorpark said:

Well, you've seen us win a trophy, so you have seen something nice, most of us haven't.

57 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The arbitration decision will come a long time before the CAT case is resolved though. The CAT case could drag on into next year. Which will no doubt be exactly what the PL intend to do.

To be honest, I think the odds are massively, massively stacked against us in the arbitration. Not because we do not have a strong case, but because Beloff, the supposedly "neutral" QC who has the final say, is very obviously going to side with them. I mean he literally re-wrote the O&D test for the PL to exclude buyers with a link to piracy so he is hardly going to go in hard against the very rules that he came up with himself, is he?

We just have to hope that the CAT case is approved, the evidence that Ashley holds is extremely strong and also that the court has the power to force the takeover to happen because I'm not holding out much hope of arbitration going our way. I think the odds are generally stacked against us, to be honest. But I maintain that nobody outside of the claimant & defendant has a clue on the intricate details of what is happening in the background.

Mind you Arbitration is only about one issue,I’m led to believe, and that “is PIF separate  from Saudi State”…piracy should only come into the discussion if Arbitration came down against this. The 3 judges have to decide if, based on the evidence, PIF is a separate entity, and again,I’m led to believe, there is plenty of evidence out there to confirm that is the case. If the judges agree with this point, then there should be no reason for the PL to block the takeover……we just have to hope the evidence convinces the judges on this count.

27 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

Mind you Arbitration is only about one issue,I’m led to believe, and that “is PIF separate  from Saudi State”…piracy should only come into the discussion if Arbitration came down against this. The 3 judges have to decide if, based on the evidence, PIF is a separate entity, and again,I’m led to believe, there is plenty of evidence out there to confirm that is the case. If the judges agree with this point, then there should be no reason for the PL to block the takeover……we just have to hope the evidence convinces the judges on this count.

Yeah but we know that the only judge's opinon that really counts is Beloff's. And considering he played a big part in rewriting the very test that we could not get through, I don't hold out much hope that he is going to see things from the Saudis' point of view. I honestly think the PL believe they have arbitration in the bag by securing Beloff as the deciding QC.

Edited by Wandy