Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Surely Edwards doesn't mean 100m profit on the sale of the club because, as we all know thanks to him, the sale of the club is dead and has been for nearly a year. 

Edited by Wilson

3 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Surely Edwards doesn't mean 100m profit on the sale of the club because, as we all know thanks to him, the sale of the club is dead and had been for nearly a year. 

Unless he means Mauriss has moved in at the last minute. Again.

6 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Surely Edwards doesn't mean 100m profit on the sale of the club because, as we all know thanks to him, the sale of the club is dead and has been for nearly a year. 

In what way is it dead?

Even the most obsessively negative people have come to realise recently (and particularly VERY recently) that it is, and always has been, VERY MUCH ALIVE !!!

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

Link?

Is it club valued at 250m and 100m profit?

it's just a tweet, he basically says the legal case is a free hit, win and he gets £100m+ profit, lose and he's had an excuse to not invest for the last 18 months or so.

1 minute ago, manorpark said:

In what way is it dead?

Even the most obsessively negative people have come to realise recently (and particularly VERY recently) that it is, and always has been, VERY MUCH ALIVE !!!

It's only what Edwards is claiming. That's what @Wilson means.

“Dear Amanda

"Thank you for your email letter regarding the takeover of Newcastle United FC.

As part of the fan-led Review into football governance I, along with the panel, have heard 100 hours of oral submission from fan groups and others and certainly from fan representatives the lack of transparency in decision making has been a recurring theme. Newcastle United Supporters Trust gave an excellent account on behalf of fans at the club and its content has been noted and will now be considered as I begin to formulate my recommendations.

"However, the Review, and my chairmanship of it, is separate to Government and my involvement in issues that are occurring now is, I am afraid, beyond my jurisdiction. The Review will set out a future path for football building on both the success and failings of current structures. I must therefore counsel that if you require intervention in the proposed takeover of Newcastle United you must redirect your request to the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden and/or the Minister of Sport Nigel Huddleston.

I have been contacted on email and social media but hundreds of Newcastle fans. Sadly, I am unable to reply to them all but would like to thank them for getting in touch. If you are successful in your bid, you will gain an impressive, passionate fan base who care deeply about their Club. It is the nation’s football fan base that stretches from non-league to Premier League that makes English Football the best in the world and why we on the panel are determined to make recommendations that protect it for the long-term future.

"With best wishes

"Tracey Crouch MP."

Edited by gdm

24 minutes ago, manorpark said:

In what way is it dead?

Jesus. 

That seems pretty damning in relation to the likely outcome of the review for the PL, I think it actually puts a great deal of pressure on PL to agree to an open hearing to show they are listening and being more transparent. 

Ruben's have given a lot of donations to the Conservative party.  500k gets you a house of Lords seat.  Same guy was selling meetings with David Cameron for 250k.

18 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

That seems pretty damning in relation to the likely outcome of the review for the PL, I think it actually puts a great deal of pressure on PL to agree to an open hearing to show they are listening and being more transparent. 

Nah, not a chance they break at this stage.  None.

There has been plenty of opportunities for the government to get involved if they wanted to. Despite the positive noises, I'm pretty sure there's very little desire to let MBS "sportwash" his image through English sporting institutions. 

Yup I would tend to agree. If this was a case of who blinks first, it was our side unfortunately. They shit the bed with that statement last week and Staveleys comments although with the best intentions, have done nothing but basically saying “it’s not fair”

No it’s not but that’s not going to get us a win here.

3 minutes ago, junkhead said:

There has been plenty of opportunities for the government to get involved if they wanted to. Despite the positive noises, I'm pretty sure there's very little desire to let MBS "sportwash" his image through English sporting institutions. 

I think that’s making an awful lot of presumptions about the level of their involvement. We assume we could be Man City version 2, they might not take that approach at all. PIF might just want to improve things a certain amount and then sell their 280-300m investment for 600 million in a few years time. We just don’t know that. 

11 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Nah, not a chance they break at this stage.  None.

I doubt they will too, but you have got to wonder why they are so desperate to keep it private. This is probably their last big chance to do something to say 'look, we are open and transparent' before the review reports and they potentially end up with a regulator overseeing them.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think that’s making an awful lot of presumptions about the level of their involvement. We assume we could be Man City version 2, they might not take that approach at all. PIF might just want to improve things a certain amount and then sell their 280-300m investment for 600 million in a few years time. We just don’t know that. 

We don't but they have a big 2030 thing planned for the country, Vision 2020 or something right?  You'd imagine the club would be used as a vehicle for that.

7 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

No way the Saudis are goikg to settle for anything but being the best tbh.

1 minute ago, Collage said:

Haven’t followed this but if the buyers are confident of a positive outcome of the arbitration, why push for a public and transparent process now?

Could make the PL cave quicker? Get the sale done before the new season and make signings etc? Who knows.