Random football thoughts

Mike

15 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Players I’m mad about selling over the years. Sure everyone had their own personal reasons for going or contract issues but a lot of the players were not replaced adequately. 

Ginola to Spurs

Ferdinand to Spurs

Solano to Villa

Solano to West Ham - Scored three-four goals there. 

Parker to West Ham 

N’Zogbia to Wigan

Milner to Villa

Hughes to Villa

Speed to Bolton

Bellamy to Celtic/Blackburn? 

Cabaye leaving was inevitable but I thought we'd try to replace him with someone of a similar sort of profile to when he joined. Sort of like Debuchy being replaced by Janmaat (even though he was nowhere near as good it was still a decent signing at the time).

Didn't think we'd wait 6 months to replace him with Jack fucking Colback though. Even under Ashley that was shocking. 

On 14/10/2023 at 18:17, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

You can add Steve Watson to Villa to that list too. Genuinely just seemed to be done out of spite. In a similar vein to Aaron Hughes, he could cover multiple positions, never let the team down and their replacements were pretty pish. 

I know it will sound stupid but on the utility player front, Leon Best.

Maybe it was for the best (hurhur) as he obviously did fuck all after. But for the sake of £3m in Ashley's pocket, he was always a solid hand for us, nothing special but seemed to have a knack of coming in to the starting XI or on as a sub and nabbing a goal here and there. Without looking I'd imagine his goals to minutes ratio wasn't bad at all. Had a real soft spot for him.

On 14/10/2023 at 16:59, Astroblack said:

Players I’m mad about selling over the years. Sure everyone had their own personal reasons for going or contract issues but a lot of the players were not replaced adequately. 

Ginola to Spurs

Ferdinand to Spurs

Solano to Villa

Solano to West Ham - Scored three-four goals there. 

Parker to West Ham 

N’Zogbia to Wigan

Milner to Villa

Hughes to Villa

Speed to Bolton

Bellamy to Celtic/Blackburn? 

I'd say Carroll to Liverpool, for the sole reason that the 30m just fucking evaporated. 

Demba BA was mint though 

On 15/10/2023 at 19:42, Pancrate1892 said:

I'd say Carroll to Liverpool, for the sole reason that the 30m just fucking evaporated. 

Demba BA was mint though 

I mean we did push through the Ben Arfa purchase then added Cabaye, Ba, Marveaux, Obertan, Santon & Cisse all within 12 months. The fees and wages alone on the back of a season of big losses in the Championship mean 'just fucking evaporated' is rubbish. 

8 hours ago, Fezzle said:

I mean we did push through the Ben Arfa purchase then added Cabaye, Ba, Marveaux, Obertan, Santon & Cisse all within 12 months. The fees and wages alone on the back of a season of big losses in the Championship mean 'just fucking evaporated' is rubbish. 

So our whole transfer budget depended on andy Carroll going to Liverpool for 35m??? 

You'll find we sold a shit load of players prior to going down and that money 'evaporated' too, that's why we went down, as well as all the other ghastly MA decisions. 

Most of them players mentioned were the season after. Ben arfa initially a 2m loan fee. Ba and marveaux cost nowt, free transfers. 

Plenty of money came in for Enrique, Nolan and routledge that season, most of that covers a huge chunk of what you've said. 

So where's the Andy Carroll money? Was that used for players wages then, as you say? So what was the TV money spent on? Sports direct mugs? What were the gate receipts and merchandise spent on? 

You sound like Derek llambias 

10 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

So our whole transfer budget depended on andy Carroll going to Liverpool for 35m??? 

You'll find we sold a shit load of players prior to going down and that money 'evaporated' too, that's why we went down, as well as all the other ghastly MA decisions. 

Most of them players mentioned were the season after. Ben arfa initially a 2m loan fee. Ba and marveaux cost nowt, free transfers. 

Plenty of money came in for Enrique, Nolan and routledge that season, most of that covers a huge chunk of what you've said. 

So where's the Andy Carroll money? Was that used for players wages then, as you say? So what was the TV money spent on? Sports direct mugs? What were the gate receipts and merchandise spent on? 

You sound like Derek llambias 

This is why I hesitated before commenting, you can't say anything without a pathetic 'you are pro ashley' dig. The accounts are readily available and easy to read. Try it, it's not hard to see

3 hours ago, Fezzle said:

This is why I hesitated before commenting, you can't say anything without a pathetic 'you are pro ashley' dig. The accounts are readily available and easy to read. Try it, it's not hard to see

If you feel that you can't comment then I apologise. 

Your as entitled to your opinion as anyone else 

• 5 weeks later...

Was checking through the next set of fixtures and Saw Bayern are playing on Friday the 24th of November. I was thinking "that's interesting, Bayern always seem to play on Fridays." Obviously went to see if there were CL fixtures that upcoming week and sure enough, there were, they'll be playing Wednesday that upcoming week. Smartest club in football. 

Edited by Astroblack

5 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Was checking through the next set of fixtures and Saw Bayern are playing on Friday the 24th of November. I was thinking "that's interesting, Bayern always seem to play on Fridays." Obviously went to see if there were CL fixtures that upcoming week and sure enough, there were, they'll be playing Wednesday that upcoming week. Smartest club in football. 

Gives them one day less to get players back from the Internationals though.

Probably not as big an issue for them given they don’t have many (any?) South Americans. But you wouldn’t really fancy a couple of your players playing in Brazil v Argentina in the early hours of Wednesday, then trying to travel back for a game on Friday night.