Newcastle United 3 - 4 Manchester City - 14/05/21 - Post-match reaction from page 14

BlueStar

1 minute ago, ikri said:

Can't fault much of that, other than the subs being far too late in the game and Shelvey being a lazy twat

It was a good performance in as much as no one was really bothered about losing. Until that 4th goal we looked well capable of getting at least a point. But lack of pressure probably helped there. 

As a Newcastle fan I'm always delighted to lose games 4-3 and find this kind of game infinitely preferable to winning 1-0. Good show Brucey, good show.

Edited by Pilko

23 minutes ago, Andy said:

Far more of a contest than I expected, like. Just emphasises the fact that this team shouldn't have spent most of the season clinging on. 

Yeah apart from the last 25 minutes after the goal, which killed the game and City just passed it round us at will. Defensively thought we were shocking all game, but looked ok going forward when we had the opportunity,

Edited by et tu brute

9 minutes ago, hakka said:

Hate Bruceo obvs, but for some reason enjoyed that game. I always thought we'd lose, but we were entertaining overall a bit.

Agree. The last two games I’ve actually enjoyed.

It makes me hate Bruce more though.

I'm not too disheartened after that but you have to he taking something from the game after scoring 3 goals at home. Second time we've conceded 4 goals at SJP this season. That's the difference between good managers/coaches, if we take the lead v Man City (especially the Man City team on the park tonight) under Benitez we take either 1 or 3 points from tonight.

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Agree. The last two games I’ve actually enjoyed.

It makes me hate Bruce more though.

Aye. We've always had the players capable of producing good, entertaining football but he's actively chose not to across the last two years.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aye. We've always had the players capable of producing good, entertaining football but he's actively chose not to across the last two years.

Because of his own limitations. He knows he is unable to strike a tactical balance between attack and defence.

We go forward like today and we concede 3 or 4 goals a game (saw the same at Leicester, where their attacking deficiencies saved us).

Or, we go all out defence and try to scrape a 0-0 but end up losing 2-0 without crossing the halfway line.

With the obvious caveat of sour grapes, an idea to improve the game and stop Guardiola’s strategy of boring the opposition into defeat: you can’t have more than 40/50 passes without a shot on goal. 

They have won the title - for entertainment’s sake, why bother with the keep-ball? Desperately boring. 

Still, a great day for Abu Dhabi.

.com

"52,000 punters would have gone home captivated by what they'd seen tonight in this meaningless match, with a few bruised knees when the goals went in. Jigging round the front room just doesn't cut it.

Thankfully this appears to have been the conclusion to our year and a bit of small screen purgatory, but what an unforgettable final instalment.

We've been of the opinion that COVID meant Bruce has been spared the anger of home fans, but tonight he and his players have been denied what would have been a deserved ovation for their efforts."

Get to fuck, you pair of absolute bellends.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

Was as good as could be expected aside from the last 10 mins which were embarrassing. Happy to settle for the 3-4 says so much about what the club, manager and on pitch captain stand for. Subs were absolutely atrocious as usual too. 

Seeing the local media snap back in to Bruce mode is just as bad. Gawd help us all.

Just for anyone who said we defended terribly, but Understat said the expected goals of Man CIty was 1.48. Ours was 2.18, because pens are about 0.7 each. I'm not a big fan of xG but I think it demonstrates something in terms of actual efforts there.

People who defend badly against Man City are waltzed around before Sterling or someone taps it in in acres at the far post. That didn't happen once. They scored with a deflection, a crazy highlight-reel spin flick, and then two completely lethal "name your favourite moocher" (Micky Quinn for me) finishes, the first off a what looked like a just-whack-it-in cross.

The keep ball was embarrassing and the commentator should be smacked for suggesting even "Newcastle fans would be giving it oles", but on the whole it wasn't too bad. I love Dubs, but this was one of the games where nobs would give him stick because there weren't many shots and they all went in. Normally it would take nine or ten good efforts on goal to put four past him. Just in case anyone thinks I'm defending Bruce, it was still Man City B without KDB etc., and some of their replacements were very generous, giving away pens and faiiling to save a Krafth header that looked very central. The poor defending in the game was mostly by them.

Edited by Stottie
clarity

6 hours ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

.com

"52,000 punters would have gone home captivated by what they'd seen tonight in this meaningless match, with a few bruised knees when the goals went in. Jigging round the front room just doesn't cut it.

Thankfully this appears to have been the conclusion to our year and a bit of small screen purgatory, but what an unforgettable final instalment.

We've been of the opinion that COVID meant Bruce has been spared the anger of home fans, but tonight he and his players have been denied what would have been a deserved ovation for their efforts."

Get to fuck, you pair of absolute bellends.

Tbf you didn't watch the match.

Guest HTT II

It was a good game and made even more better by the fact it was against Man City who usually smash teams, but an ovation? Hmmm....