Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

6 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

4 right backs is a bit daft like.

Walker can play in a back 3, TAA can play in midfield.

It's a 26 man squad so you can pretty much indulge a bit tbf.

I think that squads pretty much fine. Other than being a bit shocked Lingard hasn't gone I don't think there's any ridiculous omissions. 

8 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Mings being picked over Godfrey or White seems madness to me. He’s been properly awful on a few occasions this season. 

Mings has been in the squad a while now so would have been harsh leaving him out 

4 right backs is just plain daft 

good to see Saka in the squad 

If Maguire doesn't make it then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Walker and James play in the back 3 with TAA as a wing back, more advanced. The odd one out seems to be Trippier imo, just can't see how he fits in or who he gets in ahead of. We'll just have to see. 

I think England have often indulged in taking loads of out and out strikers for no reason. If you only play with one through the middle there's not really any point taking loads - better off taking players who are more flexible. 

Seem to remember in 2014 that Klose was literally the only proper CF they took - but they obviously had the likes of Podolski and Mueller who could have moved up front if push came to shove.

Main weakness for me in that squad is the goalie and CB options which will probably be why we won't win it. But there's nobody who's been left out to remedy it.

Reckon he’s bottled dropping one of the RBs to avoid press backlash which tbf given the extra squad spots and James/Walker could cover central he can get away with.

CB is very good providing Maguire and Stones stay fit and play every game. I worry about goalie and to a lesser (but not insignificant) extent CM. 

Non-plussed about the right-back sitch. He's obviously got his reasons and I don't see them in there at the expense of anyone crucial. 

It looks a decent squad on paper.

If I was having a small grumble I'd have taken Godfrey over Coady and Mings. I also think we could have binned off James or Trippier for Watkins. We only have two out and out strikers, with the cover carrying an injury.

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

CB is very good providing Maguire and Stones stay fit and play every game. I worry about goalie and to a lesser (but not insignificant) extent CM. 

Non-plussed about the right-back sitch. He's obviously got his reasons and I don't see them in there at the expense of anyone crucial. 

The Maguire-Stones partnership just feels like it has a massive bollocks up in it. They have to start, but they don't feel like a safe pair of hands.

The four RB's thing is mental. Especially when they are leaving out Lingard who is one of the most inform English players. Southgate has totally bottled it with the RB's. 

Decent squad though. Shame about Greenwood.

I really don't think Southgate gives two fucks about the popular/unpopular choices, and makes his decisions very much based on who he thinks should be in the squad, and who fits into his vision. Southgate is so sensible and grounded, he wouldn't be in the job if he was worried about upsetting prissy Liverpool fans. Says he told Trent three weeks ago that he was going. 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The Maguire-Stones partnership just feels like it has a massive bollocks up in it. They have to start, but they don't feel like a safe pair of hands.

Both are as thick as pig shit. We've been craving a defender with a braincell for many a year.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Had to be.

Mmm? Dunno. Feel like he was as good a backup to Mount as any, as he's fundamentally a central player, unlike the other options. I don't think he'll be a huge loss though. 

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Mmm? Dunno. Feel like he was as good a backup to Mount as any, as he's fundamentally a central player, unlike the other options. I don't think he'll be a huge loss though. 

I suppose it's because I absolutely dont see him as a central player akin to Mount. He's an either side of the forward player, carrying the ball in to the final third, making runs to make space or in behind or even leading a break from the back. I just think he's bottom of a long list of players that play that position. Saying that Sterling, who I'd say occupies the same position in the England side anyway, has been gash of late. But I'd still choose him over Lingard. Grealish, Greenwood, Saka, Rashford, Foden and Sancho all ahead of him too. Even centrally I'd probably prefer to play Grealish. 

I still think the choice should have been AWB over Lingard given CB is our weakest position, if we're considering playing a RB in a back 3. AWB is easily the best defender of the lot. 1 less of Trent, Trippier, Walker and James with AWB getting in. And obviously Lingard out. We're sorted on the attacking front.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar