Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Head in sand stuff.

This country is very racist like almost all countries across the world, just need to go into a pub and hear the shite like calling chinese chinkies etc.  I hear this in my own family as well, so it's close to home.

I'm sorry like but the UK is not 'very racist'. Literally one of the most progressive countries on earth.

We've made great strides over the years in tackling racism in both football and wider society. That's not to say there isn't work to do, but people do get fed up of being told shit like 'the UK is very racist' and it spills over into morons booing the knee. 

Guest neesy111
12 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I'm sorry like but the UK is not 'very racist'. Literally one of the most progressive countries on earth.

We've made great strides over the years in tackling racism in both football and wider society. That's not to say there isn't work to do, but people do get fed up of being told shit like 'the UK is very racist' and it spills over into morons booing the knee. 

This is ridiculously naïve imo.  Aye, in the progressive city centres if may be fine and progressive, but go into brexit heartlands it's apparent as ever, I hear it everytime I sadly go for a drink in these places which is a quite a big proportion of the country.

Edited by neesy111

17 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

This is ridiculously naïve imo.  Aye, in the progressive city centres if may be fine and progressive, but go into brexit heartlands it's apparent as ever, I hear it everytime I sadly go for a drink in these places which is a quite a big proportion of the country.

Not the thread for it but again, racism in the UK is clearly not as apparent as ever like. That's just flat out wrong regardless of your anecdotal evidence of knackers in the pub. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

From a personal point of view (being ethnically Chinese), all the work to tackle racism in wider society over the last 30 odd years or so is in danger of being undone and that, for me, is primarily down to Brexit - once that vote came to pass, it gave the real racists the platform and the scope to show their true colours.

The 90s were dogshit, my parents got all sorts of grief whilst working at their takeaway (my brother and I got shielded from it all) but thankfully, through education, it appeared that racism was being eradicated and the new millennium was proof of that.

Since the EU referendum though, racism is rearing its ugly head once again; on one night out shortly after the results of the vote, I got told to "fuck off back to my country" and last year, I got called a coronavirus - these events shook me to the core as I've always felt safe in the UK.

East Asian hate/attacks is at its highest it's ever been in the UK now and it doesn't appear it's going to stop any time soon.

Progress has been made to tackle racism and I still believe the UK is definitely welcoming and a brilliant place to live in. The main thing for me is that I still feel safe (up in the North anyway, the issues surrounding East Asian hate appears to be predominant in the South) but racist attitudes are making a comeback (it's still in the minority of the population but if we don't take the right measures, it'll be prevalent in society again).

Brexit is an easy thing to blame, the radicalisation of the public was happening long before 2016. Identity politics became a profitable industry in both mainstream and social media, and social media enables people to find like minded nutters to reinforce and sympathise with their views. Much of it is imported from the US, who I suppose have been ahead of us in turning this into a well oiled machine.

21 minutes ago, Sifu said:

on one night out shortly after the results of the vote, I got told to "fuck off back to my country" and last year, I got called a coronavirus - these events shook me to the core as I've always felt safe in the UK.

Sorry to hear you've had to go through this stuff, man :( I'm embarrassed. 

The rise in anti-Asian hate really worries me with my wife being Taiwanese. She says she had to deal with a few throwaway racist comments while working around Regent Street ("fucking Chinese" etc) and there are often stories in the Facebook groups she's in of Asian people being beaten up etc around Central London. Really worries me when she's out on her own. 

Edited by Interpolic

1 hour ago, CalmintheChaos said:

No it sickens me but who is to say they aren’t from Russia Poland etc. Not that it makes it any better it just feels like we are made out to be some raving national front lunatics in this country when that’s far from how it is. I haven’t heard any racial abuse at work or at a match for a long long time maybe since the early 00s. Not saying it dosen't happen but when it has it has been like 1 person in a crowd of 40,000 plus, giant strides have been made over the last few decades for sure. 

Anyhow I don’t agree with taking a knee, same as plenty don't but I wouldn’t boo it no. Nor would I applaud it. Everyone can do and react how they see fit for me that’s my take on it but it’s certainly put me off the England games which hasn’t took much as to be fair I’ve been wanting an excuse to avoid the circus 

you black/brown ?

i can assure you there's still plenty racism around. ffs.

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Sorry to hear you've had to go through this stuff, man :( I'm embarrassed. 

The rise in anti-Asian hate really worries me with my wife being Taiwanese. She says she had to deal with a few throwaway racist comments while working around Regent Street ("fucking Chinese" etc) and there are often stories in the Facebook groups she's in of Asian people being beaten up etc around Central London. Really worries me when she's out on her own. 

Sorry to hear that your wife has had to go through that :(

I'm in one of those kind of Facebook groups too and it's really scary stuff to read. 

My advice is to be aware of one's surroundings (I have this habit of looking everywhere whenever I'm out and about) and to make sure to keep to busy, known streets. Admittedly, the worry will always be there but I think the best thing to do is to try to keep to normal life as much as possible.

3 hours ago, CalmintheChaos said:

No it sickens me but who is to say they aren’t from Russia Poland etc. Not that it makes it any better it just feels like we are made out to be some raving national front lunatics in this country when that’s far from how it is. I haven’t heard any racial abuse at work or at a match for a long long time maybe since the early 00s. Not saying it dosen't happen but when it has it has been like 1 person in a crowd of 40,000 plus, giant strides have been made over the last few decades for sure. 

Anyhow I don’t agree with taking a knee, same as plenty don't but I wouldn’t boo it no. Nor would I applaud it. Everyone can do and react how they see fit for me that’s my take on it but it’s certainly put me off the England games which hasn’t took much as to be fair I’ve been wanting an excuse to avoid the circus 

You are simply an idiot. You're going to have to own that, unfortunately. What the fuck does peoples' decision to make a stand against particular actions got anything to do with how you feel it makes a collective appear?!

We have innumerous people going in to their fucking job, wholly expecting to receive abuse at the end of it for simply being who they are. Would you not feel aggrieved if you got home every day to a barrage of personal abuse because of who you are and what you do?!

And dismissing the abuse these players receive so easily with your lazy explanations is tantamount to supporting those who are guilty of it. It's wilful ignorance and its fucking disgusting. "not saying it doesnt happen but...". Ah, sweet mate, areet then. Lets all fucking forget about it shall we eh? Fuck off.

You dont agree with taking a knee because you dont agree that the racism that is clear to anyone of sound mind so rampant and quite clearly increasing is something to be offended at. Not something you see, eh? The fuck are people so offended at, yeah? Moron

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Guest HTT II

England is a massively tolerant country for me, but we do have a real problem with racism and also a homophobic and xenophobic one too which has increased in the last few years, but we have come a long way in the last few decades too and I’m positive things will continue to improve even if they don’t seem that way at the moment. I think there is a toxic culture around the country and world at the moment which heightens everything and that hasn’t been helped by having Donald Trump as President, a global pandemic and the Tory destruction machine in power here, that and social media is a cess pit of vitriol, trolls, hatred and downright utter knackers.

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
7 hours ago, Sifu said:

Sorry to hear that your wife has had to go through that :(

I'm in one of those kind of Facebook groups too and it's really scary stuff to read. 

My advice is to be aware of one's surroundings (I have this habit of looking everywhere whenever I'm out and about) and to make sure to keep to busy, known streets. Admittedly, the worry will always be there but I think the best thing to do is to try to keep to normal life as much as possible.

Sorry you have both had to experience such shit which no-one should have to. I’ve experienced it myself with my wife and I dread my boys having to someday too. Hopefully I’ll have armed them enough mentally, emotionally, educationally and intellectually to overcome such issues and to know that this world of ours can be unpleasant and so can people, but by and large people are good and it’s a good world we live in. People just need to be nice to one another it’s really not difficult and very simple. 

Guest HTT II
8 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Not the thread for it but again, racism in the UK is clearly not as apparent as ever like. That's just flat out wrong regardless of your anecdotal evidence of knackers in the pub. 

Neesy needs to stop drinking in the Bigg Market like with the riff raff.

Guest HTT II
9 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

Great choice

Paolo-Di-Canio-008.jpg?width=300&quality

I’m sticking with Germany myself, they’ve always been purely about football and have never done anything wrong to the world, ever. If the England players just stopped kneeling, even when tying their laces or taking a breather, I’d support them, but because they kneel, I’m rooting for ze jormans.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Smal said:

I have never wanted England to win more. Actually proud of the players for sticking with it:clap:

Aye same here and it’s sad that the players have had to explain this really. 

I posted about it in another thread a while ago, but until recently I didn’t appreciate the issues minorities face in this country.

And that is completely through my own lack of understanding. Had I ever sat down and asked people about their experiences before? 

People from the majority population sitting around a table and saying “there isn’t a racism issue” is about as head in sand stuff as you could get.

How do you know? Have you actively spoken to people who experience it? You might not think there is an issue because you’re not the one having to deal with racist comments and/or micro-aggressions on a regular basis.

I don’t particularly agree with the taking of the knee because I don’t like football to become political - exactly the same with poppy-gate later in the year. But, is it harming anyone? No. Does it make some people feel included/given the opportunity to raise their cause? Yes. That’s fine by me.

Wullie has summed it up perfectly. Country has gone backwards steadily in an acceptance and progressive social inclusion sense since 9/11, it is however a global trend and a common feature of global politics in the lead up to a large scale conflict. Then we fight, appreciate our freedoms, grow, forget, become selfish then fight again. 

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I posted about it in another thread a while ago, but until recently I didn’t appreciate the issues minorities face in this country.

And that is completely through my own lack of understanding. Had I ever sat down and asked people about their experiences before? 

People from the majority population sitting around a table and saying “there isn’t a racism issue” is about as head in sand stuff as you could get.

How do you know? Have you actively spoken to people who experience it? You might not think there is an issue because you’re not the one having to deal with racist comments and/or micro-aggressions on a regular basis.

I don’t particularly agree with the taking of the knee because I don’t like football to become political - exactly the same with poppy-gate later in the year. But, is it harming anyone? No. Does it make some people feel included/given the opportunity to raise their cause? Yes. That’s fine by me.

Aye it’s very easy to imagine all is good and well if you’ve never experienced racism or only saw ‘others’ experience it and therefore well it doesn’t happen to me/I don’t see it. I’d like to think though, regardless of your ethnicity, race, religion, nationality, sex or whatever, and indeed any or none experience, that anyone half intelligent will be aware that there is problems in this country around race, religion, nationality, sex, sexuality etc. I blame the media (social media included) for a lot of the problems myself which exaggerate and worsen things for all of us. Issues are real and do exist, but from my own experience, I’d say, again, England is a massively tolerant, safe and multi-culturally diverse and peaceful country for everyone, but still has its issues and problems that need addressed, fixed and to basically never exist at all.

Edited by HTT II

Guest neesy111

Agree with people saying it started before Brexit, it's since this culture war was started but Brexit accelerated the trend.  Would add I think there's been an ignorance of the issues and also doesn't help when the PM gets a clarte blache on the comments he's made about muslims in the past.

6 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

You are simply an idiot. You're going to have to own that, unfortunately. What the fuck does peoples' decision to make a stand against particular actions got anything to do with how you feel it makes a collective appear?!

We have innumerous people going in to their fucking job, wholly expecting to receive abuse at the end of it for simply being who they are. Would you not feel aggrieved if you got home every day to a barrage of personal abuse because of who you are and what you do?!

And dismissing the abuse these players receive so easily with your lazy explanations is tantamount to supporting those who are guilty of it. It's wilful ignorance and its fucking disgusting. "not saying it doesnt happen but...". Ah, sweet mate, areet then. Lets all fucking forget about it shall we eh? Fuck off.

You dont agree with taking a knee because you dont agree that the racism that is clear to anyone of sound mind so rampant and quite clearly increasing is something to be offended at. Not something you see, eh? The fuck are people so offended at, yeah? Moron

You just can’t handle anyone having a different oppinion than yourself. Well guess what loads of people don’t agree with taking a knee. I bet as least as many disagree with it as that do agree. You left lot make out like it’s 110% the correct thing to do with no room for debate and just call anyone who is against it racist or moron etc. Rampant racism in this country ffs :lol: I mean I’m open to accepting maybe racism is a bigger problem than I think here but not to some level where it’s rampant or like we are back in the 70s!

State of this debate on a football forum at a tournament that is supposed to be enjoyable and an escape. All I’ve seen all weekend is people arguing about this. 

22 year old millionaire and England captain Rashford saying how people want to see him fail and how he gets stopped from having opportunities. Nonsense. How do you think white families who are on the breadline who went to the riverside last weekend who have nowt and struggle on daily feel hearing Rashford tell them how hard he has had it. It works both ways.

The knee taking only started off the back of a career criminal from the other side of the world which is no reflection at all on this country.  America may well have major issues yes but we don’t need that shit bringing over here and told we are the same, maybe that’s why people boo? Also if it’s not political whats with all the black power fists that plenty of players do? Looks pretty political to me. 

It is mine and plenty of others view that we don’t agree with it or want to be part of it. It’s a perfectly reasonable stance it’s not North Korea ffs having the government and media telling you how to think and act. This whole thing has caused more division and done more harm than good, maybe that’s what they want? Yes it’s petty not watching England due to it but I can’t stand Southgate and most the players anyhow. Joke Southgate is even manager at all really. Be great to hear that Croatia have humbled them.