Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Bit risky coming out with stuff like this when the banhammer's hot.

Any chance of redemption by proclaiming that I’d rather eat horse shit than that plate of watery eggs?

No? Fuck.

People knocking Southgate (on a general level, I'm not talking individual decisions) at this point just come across to me as completely detached from reality, as if the FA should just bin off their most successful manager in 30 years, and get in... who exactly?

Say what you want about calmingthechaos views on race relations but what's frightening that he possibly correct about being in the majority. I've had countless close arguments with friends and family about brexit/BLM/the Royal family recently, all stemming from this empowerment of bigotry that has been passed down from the government over the last 10 years.

They have normalised having a "debate" on race matters and as a results the rats have come out of the woodwork. Sadly a lot of people are racist, they just hide it extremely well until they are around like minded people and feel comfortable expressing their views.

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

England is a massively tolerant country for me, but we do have a real problem with racism and also a homophobic and xenophobic one too which has increased in the last few years, but we have come a long way in the last few decades too and I’m positive things will continue to improve even if they don’t seem that way at the moment. I think there is a toxic culture around the country and world at the moment which heightens everything and that hasn’t been helped by having Donald Trump as President, a global pandemic and the Tory destruction machine in power here, that and social media is a cess pit of vitriol, trolls, hatred and downright utter knackers.

This is the problem. We tolerate and do nothing to address the hatred that necessitates the tolerance.

5 minutes ago, Wullie said:

People knocking Southgate (on a general level, I'm not talking individual decisions) at this point just come across to me as completely detached from reality, as if the FA should just bin off their most successful manager in 30 years, and get in... who exactly?

I agree with your last point but he's making some terrible decisions. I'd like to hear his thought processes.

We simply don't need two like for like centre midfielders. I've got less issue with his selections in attacking areas because you could play any 3 of six players.

Playing Trippier at left back would be bizarre though.

Be a pretty low key/low risk affair I suspect. 

Press will lose their shit, and whilst it would be good to start well, I can see both teams settling for a draw I feel it’s lefel going into the last twenty.

15 minutes ago, Wullie said:

just for this tournament, I've decided to become one of those ignorant "support the team" morons we all detest when it comes to NUFC :lol:

Southgate has Benitez status for me, I'm putting zero energy into any negativity surrounding him or the team. It's exhausting questioning the manager's every choice, we've had seasons doing that when it comes to our club. This way is far more enjoyable!

It's only a few weeks. when we get knocked out by Finland I can go back to hating everything.

28 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Bruce.

46 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

This is the problem. We tolerate and do nothing to address the hatred that necessitates the tolerance.

I think of tolerance as putting up with something you hate :lol:

I always chuckle when people describe Britain as a tolerant country. 

Edited by Klaus

Don't have an issue with Sterling playing. Would always have one of him or Sancho. 

Everybody seems to want Foden, Kane, Grealish as a front 3 but that seems to massively lack runners in behind. All three of them will spend the game wanting to come deep and get on the ball. 

That's a very fair and good point about runners and players coming deep.

For me Kane needs to be told to do his work across the width of the 18 yard box...the opponents not ours.

Been coming far too deep of late and quite simply he doesn't need too with what we have available to support him.

He was always gonna go with Sterling, mind. In fact he's always gonna favour players who have "been with us" (as Southgate puts it) for the longest time. Ie they've come through the system from the earliest years, Sterling being a key example. Grealish was representing young Ireland teams way after Sterling first made his England debut. 

Rightly or wrongly, the manager has got his favourite players and they're always going to feature. It's almost a bit pointless expecting anything different and/or getting annoyed when others don't start. 

There's potentially seven games ahead of us, and we're allowed to make five subs. I've absolutely no doubt the likes of Grealish, Sancho and Bellingham will feature prominently at some point. 

If it weren't for a raging hangover and a stinker of a jab arm, I'd be starting to really get nervous now. I'm sure I will soon. Might have to just stick Lightning Seeds on. 

So exciting. So many great and likeable players and a manager who is trustworthy and pretty much note-perfect with everything he says. The perfect tonic to a horrible club football season. 

Come on England! 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He was always gonna go with Sterling, mind. In fact he's always gonna favour players who have "been with us" (as Southgate puts it) for the longest time. Ie they've come through the system from the earliest years, Sterling being a key example. Grealish was representing young Ireland teams way after Sterling first made his England debut. 

Rightly or wrongly, the manager has got his favourite players and they're always going to feature. It's almost a bit pointless expecting anything different and/or getting annoyed when others don't start. 

There's potentially seven games ahead of us, and we're allowed to make five subs. I've absolutely no doubt the likes of Grealish, Sancho and Bellingham will feature prominently at some point. 

If it weren't for a raging hangover and a stinker of a jab arm, I'd be starting to really get nervous now. I'm sure I will soon. Might have to just stick Lightning Seeds on. 

So exciting. So many great and likeable players and a manager who is trustworthy and pretty much note-perfect with everything he says. The perfect tonic to a horrible club football season. 

Come on England! 

100% agree 

4 hours ago, CalmintheChaos said:

If I went to China or Asia to work wouldn’t I be subjected to insults here and there for been white? I mean I could name several places in England where if I walked down I would get abuse for been white and more than likely assaulted. Works both ways. Knee taking isn’t going to do a single thing other than cause more division especially when like it or not it’s associated with that criminal scumbag George Floyd. Until been white is stopped been seen as some master race then this will never end. I mean most classes at schools now seem to be half white/half non white so it’s not like been non white has you in a minority growing up like it would have done decades ago. Plenty of schools where white kids are the minority.

"Being"

46 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Don't have an issue with Sterling playing. Would always have one of him or Sancho. 

Everybody seems to want Foden, Kane, Grealish as a front 3 but that seems to massively lack runners in behind. All three of them will spend the game wanting to come deep and get on the ball. 

Said this for months and Sterling was always going to be first pick out of himself, Sancho and Rashford as Southgate trusts him the most.