Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

Got to be happy with that. Unimpressive performance bar one or two, and a tidy goal. Felt we controlled the game really well on the whole but, again, without being flashy. 

Feel like it was important just to get through that game. Opening nerves, hot day, toughest opponent in the group. It was vital not to lose, and we got the bonus. 

Not an electric performance by any means, but they didn't really have many chances, we controlled the game well, and this gives us a platform going further into the tournament. Phillips was class, great performance.

Decent win but thought we were pretty flat and didn’t use the ball well at all. I don’t think we looked comfortable when we had it going forward. Rice looks terrified with the ball at times. Phillips was brilliant though, breath of fresh air seeing that tenacity in the middle combined with the first time passes. 

Solid, albeit unspectacular display.

The midfield three look very nicely balanced and I felt they all played well individually. Croatia posted little threat, but our midfield contributed to that.

The attack was a touch concerning. They started like a house on fire, but looked totally out of ideas after 25 minutes. I have no idea why the full backs weren't really pushing on, but that might be something we alter going forward.

Three points on the board is of course the main thing. Knowing us this will be the one time we romp the group leaving a rough route to the final.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

Textbook performance that. Completely bossed a team that we couldn't get the ball off 3 years ago. For all the moaning beforehand, the selection was spot on.

Agreed. Thought Sterling was better than has been suggested on here too. 

Thought we did well for the majority of the game. Going into our shell like that with 10-15 minutes left is going to fuck us though. Needs sorting. Should’ve put a few past them. 

Either way, game one, played well & good result. 

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Don't have an issue with Sterling playing. Would always have one of him or Sancho. 

Everybody seems to want Foden, Kane, Grealish as a front 3 but that seems to massively lack runners in behind. All three of them will spend the game wanting to come deep and get on the ball. 

:coolsmiley:

I didn't think we 'controlled' the game at all. In the second half, we looked quite ragged. It was a good goal, but we didn't create that many chances.

It was the opening game, with a lot of pressure, so if a number of players looked quite inhibited, it's understandable. But we've got to improve if we're going to come close to winning it, particularly going forward. 

Southgate probably doesn't trust Grealish's defensive work, but I think he offers a better package than Sterling. Foden needs to be given licence to roam a bit. 

Both full backs didn't contribute much on the ball, and if we're going to break down the better sides, we need to be bolder with our selection. Trippier using his right foot meant that a lot of his passes were drifting towards the touchline. Walker defends well, but he never looks confident on the ball.