Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Its arguably Southgate's greatest achievement. He's a fantastic ambassador and has managed to unite players, fans and media. It's just a shame he's lacking as a tactician.

Agreed and tactically he’s no master tactician, but he’s not so naive either tactically. I think this group doesn’t need major tactical instructions, it’s quite simple what he’s done and how we play, but it does rely on the attacking players clicking like we did for the Sterling goal. I enjoy how England play myself, there is flexibility, variations and some degree of tactical elements. We went from a high press game to containment and then to a counter attacking game today for example. The fear is we will get our numbered/overrun in midfield if we do play a more expansive game and if we try to contain against a better more mobile side, we will get picked off. Every team has their own strengths and weaknesses so it should make for a fascinating tournament and I feel England are equipped well enough to be one of those teams in with a real chance of winning it. I’d like us to be less cautious and play more riskier forward balls. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II

Btw I thought we forced Croatia into kind of having to swing crosses in because they couldn’t play through us down the middle and we dealt with their crosses really well, watching Croatia today was like watching England under say McClaren, out passed, resorting to long balls and crosses and running out of huff an puff with hardly any real possession. We controlled the ball so well and the tempo of play and I genuinely felt at any time if we got our attacking players facing forwards, moving, playing quicker passes and running with and off the ball, we’d get through and we did with a defensive midfielder in Philips the furthest forward of our midfield to play the crucial assist to Sterling. If we click… 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Any other country picks their Champions League winning fullbacks. That’s my only complaint today. Both fullbacks were poor, both defensively and going forward. Bizarre choice picking Trippier.

I rate the pair of them, but they were very poor, lack of midfield runners didn’t help mind. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Any other country picks their Champions League winning fullbacks. That’s my only complaint today. Both fullbacks were poor, both defensively and going forward. Bizarre choice picking Trippier.

Not sure you can level that at either of them tbf, particularly Walker who improved after a terrible first half. But totally agree that the full-backs/their instructions need to change if we're ever going to force the issue against teams. Like I said during the game, it would be very frustrating if - given what we have available - we didn't make the most of the wings. 

24 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Its arguably Southgate's greatest achievement. He's a fantastic ambassador and has managed to unite players, fans and media. It's just a shame he's lacking as a tactician.

You don't need to be a great tactician at the international level. Santos (Portugal), Low didn't exactly cover themselves with glory at the club level. Simple tactics, implemented well, create a team spirit - all of those are more important. Cannot argue with his results until now. 

Guest HTT II

Mings played some better balls down the left than the full-back…. Defensively they were not really tested, but neither Trippier or Walker were involved much in attacking/forward play. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, rgk_lfc said:

You don't need to be a great tactician at the international level. Santos (Portugal), Low didn't exactly cover themselves with glory at the club level. Simple tactics, implemented well, create a team spirit - all of those are more important. Cannot argue with his results until now. 

He’s been a fantastic appointment, this is the best I’ve seen of England in terms of how we play or try to play, it’s a nice balance he has achieved which has seen us dominate possession against say Croatia who a few years back we would lament how we couldn’t be as technical on the ball as them and surrender possession to anyone with decent technical ability, even if they were not a top team. Croatia really struggled today against our system/tactics and game plan/play. In the end they looked like plodders! 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

I’m pissed, so apologies for not catching up on all the unread pages- but we’re all in agreement Southgate got it bang on re: Phillips today aye? 

And Sterling!

7 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Agree. Shame @CalmintheChaos is now banned - he was livid about those two even being in the squad :lol: 

i'll be honest. i dont think the ban was good thing.

people like him need educating, and it highlights a lot misconceptions some have eg "i'm not racist, but...."

does no one any good just sweeping things under the carpet.

nothing he said made me angry... just sad.

8 minutes ago, huss9 said:

people like him need educating, and it highlights a lot misconceptions some have eg "i'm not racist, but...."

You couldn't be more right about that, and there were lots of excellent posts put to him which came from that place; I don't think banning that bloke for the umpteenth time equates to sweeping anything under the carpet. 

I wonder if England's best team is a one where Kane is not in it? Rashford through the middle May be a better fit for these players, I like Kane but I think he plays best when he has a partner.

Man City need Haaland not Kane to win the champions league.

37 minutes ago, Ben said:

I wonder if England's best team is a one where Kane is not in it? Rashford through the middle May be a better fit for these players, I like Kane but I think he plays best when he has a partner.

Rashford is crap through the middle. 

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

You couldn't be more right about that, and there were lots of excellent posts put to him which came from that place; I don't think banning that bloke for the umpteenth time equates to sweeping anything under the carpet. 

We should have a prize for who can identify his next account the fastest :lol: He’ll be on his six attempt.

50 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

We should have a prize for who can identify his next account the fastest :lol: He’ll be on his six attempt.

what attempt are you on Fanny?

Poor form banning someone for having a different, albeit stupid opinion like.

He wasn't abusive, he was clearly just misinformed. He was rightly shot down/mocked in the posts afterward, but banning him for that? What's the point like.

Guest HTT II
23 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

He wasn't abusive, he was clearly just misinformed. He was rightly shot down/mocked in the posts afterward, but banning him for that? What's the point like.

Again I’m not one for wanting to see people banned, but his references to black people and Asian people were clearly racist. I don’t think he was on any wind up either, he just seems a totally unhinged individual with clear backward views that aren’t or never should be welcome on any public platform, especially N.O which is our safe little place here online to chat about football, our club and other stuff without having to read crap like he espoused, if I want to read that kind of stuff I’d head to the daily hate comments section, Facebook or the comical’s comment section.

33 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

The forum remains as good as it is because people like that aren't tolerated. The only thing that comes from their posts is arguments.

Technically, Womblemaster didn't do anything wrong either (I think), but was clearly a sex pest.

Guest HTT II
4 hours ago, Ben said:

Aye Kane needs a partner, if only Son was English…

52 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

He's been banned off here half a dozen times before, the last time it was for posting several times about "filthy Chinese" in the Covid thread. He was only back in the first place because bans lapsed when we changed the forum software, we decided to give everyone a second chance, well this fucker's had more than enough rope now.