Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

I know it's a bit of a cliché but I think form/other rational metrics do kinda go out of the window a bit. The scale of the occasion means I think it'll be nervous and cagey and I reckon there'll only be a goal in it. 

On paper we pummel Scotland but I can't see it tonight. 

Already more up for this game than I have been for a game of football in ages. Don’t even know why as the quality could well be lacking and I wouldn’t be surprised by one goal separating the sides (with England winning). Used to live in Scotland for five years so I’d like them to either put up a good fight and make it a competitive game. If they’re shit though, I hope they’re really shit and we absolutely batter them 

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I know it's a bit of a cliché but I think form/other rational metrivlcs do kinda go out of the window a bit. The scale of the occasion means I think it'll be nervous and cagey and I reckon there'll only be a goal in it. 

On paper we pummel Scotland but I can't see it tonight. 

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. My mate is 100% confident that we'll hammer Scotland, wish I shared that optimism!

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I wonder if Southgate just thought Tripper playing under Simeone all season was a good defensive bet against Croatia?

I think, like every man in the line-up, his choice with Trippier was totally vindicated. Certainly if he had anything to do with Mings' superb performance. 

I was getting really frustrated at times during the Croatia game at the lack of penetration from the full-backs, but it's clear that that just wasn't the gameplan. The gameplan, particularly given the heat, was to kill it dead for long periods (see the numerous occasions where Stones and Mings passed it between each other to death), stifle the opposition and wait for opportunities through the centre. So there was no point in playing overlapping full-backs. It ended up working exactly as planned, helped obviously, in fairness, by a pretty non-threatening opposition. 

Playing Shaw and Chilwell suggests a different gameplan altogether, with more attacking down the wings. 

He's armed with so many tactical options with that crop of players, I'm very enthused to hear he's (hopefully) not rigidly sticking to one style, cos there's absolutely no need. 

12 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I wonder if Southgate just thought Tripper playing under Simeone all season was a good defensive bet against Croatia?

And against his At Madrid team mate

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Already more up for this game than I have been for a game of football in ages. Don’t even know why as the quality could well be lacking and I wouldn’t be surprised by one goal separating the sides (with England winning). Used to live in Scotland for five years so I’d like them to either put up a good fight and make it a competitive game. If they’re shit though, I hope they’re really shit and we absolutely batter them 

I think we'll absolutely fucking batter them tbh.

Scotland are absolutely trash, I get people being nervous but this should be a comfortable win.

They’re a lower Championship team with the addition of Robertson and McGinn managed by someone most Championship clubs would be disappointed with.

Of course they might get lucky, but 9/10 times it’s a routine win.

16 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Scotland are absolutely trash, I get people being nervous but this should be a comfortable win.

They’re a lower Championship team with the addition of Robertson and McGinn managed by someone most Championship clubs would be disappointed with.

Of course they might get lucky, but 9/10 times it’s a routine win.

Tierney and McTominay also and I think that's a bit harsh on the manager tbh.

Aside from that though I agree they are trash and we should really thump them.

2 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Tierney and McTominay also and I think that's a bit harsh on the manager tbh.

Aside from that though I agree they are trash and we should really thump them.

McTominay isn’t great at all and I thought Tierney was injured?

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

McTominay isn’t great at all and I thought Tierney was injured?

He's not brilliant but I think he's decent. Certainly a solid Premier League midfielder that is way ahead of lower Championship standard. Same with Fraser also though we've not really seen much from him.

Tierney is back for this match apparently. You'd think a couple of class left-backs shouldn't really change the outcome much though.

20 minutes ago, Disco said:

Shame it's not a fullsy. 

Hopefully England win on the pitch and get battered off it. 

Atmosphere would have been immense if full house. Also reduces the chance of seeing the types of scenes nobody (everybody) wants to see.