Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

Just now, toon25 said:

They've nowhere near the composure and quality of other decent sides in this tournament at the back to win, regardless of the forward players

The Italians would beat us by half time 

Whoever said bringing Rashford on as the 9 was daft is spot on too. England weren’t getting enough players in the box as it was and he’ll alwsys pull to the left and deep when it’s a low block.

Though Mount and Rice were both poor as per the first. Kane abysmal and the full backs had clearly been told to be conservative which seems daft when playing 1.5 holding midfielders and against a back 5. Barely an overload in the match either, really poor.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think Rice and Philips was that bad a selection, they just played bad. They didn’t carry the ball or move it like they’re capable of.

That said, I would’ve changed them second half. 

Think Rice made his first tackle in the 92nd minute. 

When you have a player like Grealish in the squad you can't be starting those two, especially in a a game where you're favourites. Against a France or Belgium more understandable perhaps. Otherwise I just don't get it.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

From what I've seen of Czech Republic that could be a very awkward game now too with England playing this way.

If both teams play for a 0-0 draw they are through and England dodge a Group F opponent

Just now, KaKa said:

When you have a player like Grealish in the squad you can't be starting those two, especially in a a game where you're favourites. Against a France or Belgium more understandable perhaps. Otherwise I just don't get it.

I just don’t think they’re competing for the same role. 

That said, Mount was also poor so midfield positions are up for grabs. I’d be up for playing Bellingham or even Henderson TBH, or move Mount back. 

It's such a shit English manager thing to leave your most exciting player on the bench and then when you do bring him on you take off your best performing player and only attacking threat.

Edited by Skeletor

Guest HTT II

ITV streaming as bad as England tonight, that was fucking rubbish, keep the back four, drop the two defensive midfielders and Kane. Oh and a point is still decent. We are qualifying, but won’t win this. Any decent team we come up against and we are out. Very disappointing tonight, awful in fact.

Just now, Ben said:

It must be me this,  every team I support is just shite.

Nah it's me too. The days of the Keegan/Robson eras where the ball went forward with pace and urgency is such a distant memory now.

I thought Rice was the chief culprit re slowing things down. He often knocked the ball back to his centre backs when there was a clear option for a ball out wide. 

I didn't think we played well against Croatia, and I'm not that surprised by the way we played tonight.

We have to be realistic. If we are seriously aiming to win, we can't play both Rice and Phillips. Mount - Foden - Grealish I think is the best combination around a striker. Sterling makes things happen occasionally as an individual, but if we're going to establish a confident passing rhythm, I don't think he's your man. 

James looked nervous, but I'd give him another chance. 

The only good news was our keeper played well.

Just now, ScottishMagpie said:

I went from just thinking it was a question of how many would England score to actually being a bit disappointed we didn't win that.   

What the fuck were you lot up to?  

Better hope that proves a wake up call to Southgate.  

Nobody expected it to be easy for England though, surely. 

The Yorkshire Pirlo tag for Phillips is so weird when he doesn't play anything like him.

For all he played well on Sunday, thought he was pretty poor today just like the rest of them. Mings probably the only one who gets any credit

Just now, ScottishMagpie said:

I went from just thinking it was a question of how many would England score to actually being a bit disappointed we didn't win that.   

What the fuck were you lot up to?  

Better hope that proves a wake up call to Southgate.  

Will it fuck. He plays this way every.single.game no matter who we’re up against.

The one moment of quality against Croatia masked exactly the same problem.