Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

I don't agree with starting Rice & Phillips but can sort of understand it. What was unforgiveable was that the game was largely in front of us for the entire match, so you need someone in a central spot to open up the lines a bit, but Southgate either didn't see it or refused to do anything about it. 

Really poor subs. Dour football under a dour (but canny) manager. 

Just now, Cronky said:

I thought Rice was the chief culprit re slowing things down. He often knocked the ball back to his centre backs when there was a clear option for a ball out wide. 

I didn't think we played well against Croatia, and I'm not that surprised by the way we played tonight.

We have to be realistic. If we are seriously aiming to win, we can't play both Rice and Phillips. Mount - Foden - Grealish I think is the best combination around a striker. Sterling makes things happen occasionally as an individual, but if we're going to establish a confident passing rhythm, I don't think he's your man. 

James looked nervous, but I'd give him another chance. 

The only good news was our keeper played well.

I think we all know Rice is better than that, he was under instructions tonight to not move more than 5 yards away from Stones and Mings 

It’s mental. We’re literally walking when trying to make an attacking move. Players walking with the ball, two passes forward and then they turn around and pass it back.

It’s pointless possession. We’re never going to do absolutely anything with it so we may as well not have the ball.

The only time we look remotely threatening is on the break, but that only happens once or twice a match because we’re playing against crap opposition who give us the ball because they know we’ll do fuck all with it. 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Ben said:

I think we all know Rice is better than that, he was under instructions tonight to not move more than 5 yards away from Stones and Mings 

He’s bang average IMO, at least Henderson when fit has some movement, massively disappointed tonight, we were so shit and regressed to how we were pre Southgate, absolute awful stuff! 

We allowed Scotland to sit deep, no space behind (after a couple of early Foden runs) and made it easy for them to remain in a shape. Absolutely crying out for Grealish to run at them and pull them out of shape and exploit the gaps.

Awful from Southgate. Show some balls and make changes.

Can't name a single player who played well tonight, Pickford maybe? But Southgate, christ. Utterly insipid. Reminded me of the dark days of 0-0 v Algeria. Appalling.

12 minutes ago, Disco said:

Whoever said bringing Rashford on as the 9 was daft is spot on too. England weren’t getting enough players in the box as it was and he’ll alwsys pull to the left and deep when it’s a low block.

Though Mount and Rice were both poor as per the first. Kane abysmal and the full backs had clearly been told to be conservative which seems daft when playing 1.5 holding midfielders and against a back 5. Barely an overload in the match either, really poor.

We were definitely beaten tactically/set up, wise. How it didnt prompt more of a change is poor. 

Grealish for Foden was silly. Should have been Sancho for Sterling. Probably Bellingham for Rice to for more legs.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

The classic problem is that a player in that position inevitably gets a lot of the ball. If they are unable or unwilling to move the ball forward when the opportunity presents, then that inhibits the whole rhythm of the side. 

Or even - heaven forbid - move forward in possession when a gap appears, and trust the intelligence of your teammates to cover the gap you leave behind. That's what good teams do.

Get in, dead happy with that (Scotland fan). Yknow one of the things - felt so tense at the end, so invested, apart from the Rafa period I've not experienced that with Newcastle in last ten years as so apathetic - feels good just to feel :lol: Nearly died during that goalmouth scramble.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

We were definitely beaten tactically/set up, wise. How it didnt prompt more of a change is poor. 

Grealish for Foden was silly. Should have been Sancho for Sterling.

And Grealish for Mount, or Rice or Phillips. Piss poor midfield selection out of all our choices against a workmanlike Scotland team who would struggle to survive relegation from the PL FFS.

5 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Was that Sterling foul a penalty then? In the PL that would be given all day long

An almost identical one was given for Holland the other night - can’t understand why VAR didn’t even look at it.

Well, I can. Because VAR is a load of shite.

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Grealish for Foden was silly. Should have been Sancho for Sterling. Probably Bellingham for Rice to for more legs.

Move Foden back and get himself, Sterling and Grealish on in the first instance.

6 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Was that Sterling foul a penalty then? In the PL that would be given all day long

Yes, stood on his foot. No, he’d already overrun the ball and was looking for it.