Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

3 minutes ago, Disco said:

Move Foden back and get himself, Sterling and Grealish on in the first instance.

I don't know why but I just don't see Grealish anywhere in this set up. Was infuriated when he refused to pass it, kept the ball off 3 playrs while running backwards and getting a free kick in the centre circle. He's just not quick enough in his release and thinking, for me. I think we'd benefit from a box to box runner to really drive us. I havent watched Bellingham much but he seems like our best option in that regard for me.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I don't know why but I just don't see Grealish anywhere in this set up. Was infuriated when he refused to pass it, kept the ball off 3 playrs while running backwards and getting a free kick in the centre circle. He's just not quick enough in his release and thinking, for me. I think we'd benefit from a box to box runner to really drive us. I havent watched Bellingham much but he seems like our best option in that regard for me.

Willock…

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I can see where your coming from but having two defensive mids means Scotland have spare men to mark our destroyers out of the game, we need to play 10 yards further up the pitch like Peps teams, it makes the opposition do something, tonight Scotland had time to think.

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He starts left and the left CM and LB use the space to overload in when he comes inside, same as Sterling but without the runs in behind. Didn’t see any of that though for either.

I’d not have him starting either though. 

3 minutes ago, Ben said:
7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I can see where your coming from but having two defensive mids means Scotland have spare men to mark our destroyers out of the game, we need to play 10 yards further up the pitch like Peps teams, it makes the opposition do something, tonight Scotland had time to think.

I suppose my point is to not play Bellingham as a DM. I dont think he's a strict DM anyway from my limited viewing, he has real ability, strength and drive. I wouldnt ask him to sit. Come back and try and win it with the team, aye. But then just go. we had no one making Scotland sprint backwards. They're poor players and it was easy for them. All we needed to do was make them run backwards and have to twist and turn.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

There seems to be this view that the man to break down a deep backline is Grealish but when does he ever have to do that? When was the last time a team sat in a low block against Villa?

Southgate really is so Bruce-esque in his press conferences

"Still working out the patterns in attack"- How long have you been in charge for now, four years?

Then blaming the lack of tempo on young players possibly being overawed at the occasion. Yeah not like many of them have been winning major honors this season in some of the biggest games, not the least the Champions League just a month or so back.

He's such a twat, he'll play the exact same system next week, has no idea how to change it.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I suppose my point is to not play Bellingham as a DM. I dont think he's a strict DM anyway from my limited viewing, he has real ability, strength and drive. I wouldnt ask him to sit. Come back and try and win it with the team, aye. But then just go. we had no one making Scotland sprint backwards. They're poor players and it was easy for them. All we needed to do was make them run backwards and have to twist and turn.

We must be fuckin great if UEFA give us 5 subs and we still don't bring Sancho on.

22 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Was that Sterling foul a penalty then? In the PL that would be given all day long

I thought it was going to be given because there's contact. But it's right that it wasn't  - those ones in PL are bullshit. Should actually be a trip, not just contact.

13 minutes ago, Disco said:

Yes, stood on his foot. No, he’d already overrun the ball and was looking for it. 

Yup. Would've definitely been given in the PL and that is one reason I hate the PL VAR. It's technically a foul but next touch would've been a goal kick. There's no way that foul warrants a 0.8xG penalty IMO and common sense prevailed.

Kane should have been hooked soon after half time. It was so obvious he was not at 100%. You could have replaced Foden and Rice with Zidane and Pirlo and they would have struggled to create chances when there is no movement in front of them. 

9 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I thought it was going to be given because there's contact. But it's right that it wasn't  - those ones in PL are bullshit. Should actually be a trip, not just contact.

Maybe PL VAR has brainwashed me :lol: as soon as I saw the replay, I thought Pen 100%

Edited by Klaus

7 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Kane should have been hooked soon after half time. It was so obvious he was not at 100%. You could have replaced Foden and Rice with Zidane and Pirlo and they would have struggled to create chances when there is no movement in front of them. 

He was hopeless, but the entire system we're playing at the moment seems to stifle any creativity and discourage attacking at pace.

I would certainly argue that Kane needs to be dropped, but the bigger priority is retooling how we're going to play with this squad of players.

Guest neesy111

That's a pen even before VAR, the amount of shite that defenders get away with has been too much.

39 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Mount, I don’t see why all the fuss, Grealish and Foden piss all over him IMO in everything!

He’s a great player but exemplifies what I feel is a common English attitude of picking hard-working model pros over anyone with a hint of maverick about them. Talent-wise he’s not close to Foden and Grealish, who have proven to be consistent club players also, so there’s no good reason he should occupy the attacking mid role over them. Furthermore, he seems to be impossible to sub let alone drop/rotate, much like Sterling and Rice, despite not justifying that at all with his performances. Almost forget with Southgate that we have 26 players. 

21 minutes ago, Pata said:

Yup. Would've definitely been given in the PL and that is one reason I hate the PL VAR. It's technically a foul but next touch would've been a goal kick. There's no way that foul warrants a 0.8xG penalty IMO and common sense prevailed.

But what’s the actual rule about when VAR should be used? 

52 minutes ago, ScottishMagpie said:

I went from just thinking it was a question of how many would England score to actually being a bit disappointed we didn't win that.   

What the fuck were you lot up to?  

Better hope that proves a wake up call to Southgate.  

They really aren’t as good as they think they are 

21 minutes ago, Wullie said:

There seems to be this view that the man to break down a deep backline is Grealish but when does he ever have to do that? When was the last time a team sat in a low block against Villa?

Mount is a much better option at ACM than Grealish, getting sick of that comparison. Wish he'd just play Foden on the left, where he has proven for Man City that he's better than Sterling in that position. Sancho is our only natural right attacking midfielder, no clue why he's not getting a look in. 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But what’s the actual rule about when VAR should be used? 

The clear-and-obvious bullshit? I'm sure VAR is looking at everything even when there's no notification to the viewer.

Glass half full: Scotland came to do a job on us, set the tone literally within the first ten seconds with an horrendous challenge, got us rattled in the early stages of the first half and we never fully recovered, then put two banks of five in front of us whenever we tried to attack. Beat the Czechs and this game is ancient history. The occasion overruled anything that you might look at on paper, 22 men were never destined to find a winner. We were shite in the first two games of Euro 96 and still nearly got to the final. 

Glass half empty: it was a really poor performance and really worrying in that, despite all our options, we couldn't find a way to break down a much interior team. Our main marksman and arguably our only world class player looks shot to bits. It'll be a dent to the confidence as we don't look nearly capable of winning the tournament on the basis of today.