Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

47 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I suppose my point is to not play Bellingham as a DM. I dont think he's a strict DM anyway from my limited viewing, he has real ability, strength and drive. I wouldnt ask him to sit. Come back and try and win it with the team, aye. But then just go. we had no one making Scotland sprint backwards. They're poor players and it was easy for them. All we needed to do was make them run backwards and have to twist and turn.

Bellingham has looked relaxed and confident during his England appearances. I don't think he'll be fazed by the occasion, and besides, if he's good enough to hold down a place at Borussia Dortmund, he's good enough for this team. 

I'd drop Rice, and give Phillips the DM role. He looks the more positive. 

Ahead, have Mount, Grealish and Foden interchanging positions around a striker. With some trepidation, I think that has to be DCL. Kane looks very sluggish and was very easy to dispossess. 

I don’t think it was really about ‘breaking them down’ exactly. We didn’t even do the pre-work you need to be in a position to break someone down.

Positive is that I assume we got to a stage where we decided that a point would be OK and we stuck on that. 

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Glass half full: Scotland came to do a job on us, set the tone literally within the first ten seconds with an horrendous challenge, got us rattled in the early stages of the first half and we never fully recovered, then put two banks of five in front of us whenever we tried to attack. Beat the Czechs and this game is ancient history. The occasion overruled anything that you might look at on paper, 22 men were never destined to find a winner. We were shite in the first two games of Euro 96 and still nearly got to the final. 

Glass half empty: it was a really poor performance and really worrying in that, despite all our options, we couldn't find a way to break down a much interior team. Our main marksman and arguably our only world class player looks shot to bits. It'll be a dent to the confidence as we don't look nearly capable of winning the tournament on the basis of today. 

Away you go. Hardly a horrendous challenge. England were shite. Created practically nothing all game.  

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think it was really about ‘breaking them down’ exactly. We didn’t even do the pre-work you need to be in a position to break someone down.

Mmyeah. There were times where we had like a line of five attackers on the edge of the box just mooching about standing and watching the full-back pass to the centre-back. Was absolutely desperate to watch, no imagination whatsoever. 

Czechs are gonna play for a point to so we'll be up against the exact same thing there. Need to sort it out immediately. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Agreed, what's your problem? 

Problem is I disagree it was a ‘horrendous challenge’ that’s just nonsense. Wasn’t even a foul. You are suggesting Scotland set out to kick England off the park. That wasn’t the case at all. England were pish and little old Scotland had the better chances.

Edited by gdm

We need to put an end to the Rice/Phillips midfield pairing. It's nearly as painful as watching Hayden and Shelvey.

Not sure what's up with Kane. He drops incredibly deep which shouldn't be the case with the three just behind him and it seems incredibly easy to mark him out the game. There's very little movement.

I'll also throw my hat into the maverick fanboy ring. Play Grealish and Foden - drop Sterling - and see what happens.

Just now, gdm said:

Problem is I disagree it was a ‘horrendous challenge’ that’s just nonsense. Wasn’t even a foul 

He kicked him in the abdomen, flattened the lad within the first ten seconds. Scotland's game plan was to kick the fuck out of England in the first twenty minutes and make them nervous. To their credit, it worked, and England were rubbish throughout. Good for the Scots, they've got fuck all else going for them. 

England is doing an England, shoehorning in players that doesn't really work together and doing an either/or between players like Foden and Graelish. Just put out the players that form the best team and have the best chemistry, you don't need to put the 11 biggest names out there at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He kicked him in the abdomen, flattened the lad within the first ten seconds. Scotland's game plan was to kick the fuck out of England in the first twenty minutes and make them nervous. To their credit, it worked, and England were rubbish throughout. Good for the Scots, they've got fuck all else going for them. 

He jumped up for a header and he caught him accidentally with his knee. ‘Horrendous’ is hyperbole 

you are talking shite. Scotland were the better team tonight. The mighty england were pish. just deal with it and stop whinging 

Edited by gdm

Accidentally! :lol: He stuck his leg right into his side; you don't just jump like that. He went in to hurt him. Which is fine, whatever, I'm not even especially fussed; just pointing out that it typified the Scots' gameplan. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Accidentally! :lol: He stuck his leg right into his side; you don't just jump like that. He went in to hurt him. Which is fine, whatever, I'm not even especially fussed; just pointing out that it typified the Scots' gameplan. 

Apart from that and one poor tackle from mcginn. Hardly a game plan to kick England off the park. All I’m hearing is excuses kid 

I don't know what the fuck you're on about @gdm and stop editing your posts :lol:  I'm not denying for a moment that England were shite. Of course they were, they were crap. Doesn't mean Scotland didn't set out to kick them off the park

Sancho should’ve been on just after half time. Crazy how we only used 2 subs and had him and Bellingham sat on the bench ffs.

Would’ve even had Sancho on ahead of Grealish.

Just now, Yorkie said:

I don't know what the fuck you're on about @gdm and stop editing your posts :lol:  I'm not denying for a moment that England were shite. Of course they were, they were crap. Doesn't mean Scotland didn't set out to kick them off the park

You do know England gave away more free kicks than Scotland 15-13? 

i only edit to add a point. What’s the big deal 

No excuses at all @gdm Just critiquing the respective gameplans. 

My first post wss literally split in half saying, 'glass half full' then 'glass half empty.' Can only assume you didn't bother to read it and just booted off at the first thing you disagreed with. 

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Mmyeah. There were times where we had like a line of five attackers on the edge of the box just mooching about standing and watching the full-back pass to the centre-back. Was absolutely desperate to watch, no imagination whatsoever. 

Czechs are gonna play for a point to so we'll be up against the exact same thing there. Need to sort it out immediately. 

This was one of my issues with Mount, went and stood with them too often instead of playing between the lines.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

You do know England gave away more free kicks than Scotland 15-13? 

i only edit to add a point. What’s the big deal 

Further credit to Scotland, they drew England into the fouling game. 

England were crap, I'm not denying that. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

No excuses at all @gdm Just critiquing the respective gameplans. 

My first post wss literally split in half saying, 'glass half full' then 'glass half empty.' Can only assume you didn't bother to read it and just booted off at the first thing you disagreed with. 

Agree to disagree mate. I thought Scotland were superb tonight. Totally disagree we set out to kick England off the park. Scotland deserve more credit than that that’s all I’m saying :thup:

(sorry for the edit) my main gripe was the horrendous foul comment. Horrendous? Come on 

Edited by gdm

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Agree to disagree mate. I thought Scotland were superb tonight. Totally disagree we set out to kick England off the park. Scotland deserve more credit than that that’s all I’m saying :thup:

Scotland absolutely deserved the point and probably deserved the win moreso than we did. I thought they played dirty but I don't blame them. 

Didn't know you were Scottish btw. Thought we were just doing the nufc-like civil war thing. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Scotland absolutely deserved the point and probably deserved the win moreso than we did. I thought they played dirty but I don't blame them. 

Didn't know you were Scottish btw. Toby we were just doing the nufc-like civil war thing. :lol:

Haha yeah I’m from near glasgow. Married to an English Lass. Sorry I’m just proud tonight. Im 40 & last time we qualified for a major tournament I wasn’t legally allowed to drink. I just wanted to go in to the last group game with still a chance 

btw imo this is the best Scotland squad in decades. Miss that top class striker tho. Not had one since McCoist 

Edited by gdm

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Haha yeah I’m from near glasgow. Married to an English Lass. Sorry I’m just proud tonight. Im 40 & last time we qualified for a major tournament I wasn’t legally allowed to drink. I just wanted to go in to the last group game with still a chance 

And I'm ratty as fuck. :lol:

Ah well, hopefully you fuck the Croats up and we do the same to Czechia and we both go through.