Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

Pickford

James

Maguire

Stones 

Shaw

Phillips 

Rice

Sancho

Mount

Sterling

Kane

2-0 win next game. 

No idea what he's got against Sancho. Bringing Kane off to send Rashford through the middle was a horrendous decision, even though Kane was well off the pace. Anyone who has watched Rashford for Man United knows how ineffective he is there. 

Going to the last 16 game. Really hope its England and not Czech Republic. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

I honestly can’t believe anyone could watch yesterday’s game and decide that taking Foden out of the team is the answer :lol:

He wasn't good yesterday. He kept coming inside and losing the ball. It was no surprise seeing him subbed. 

He's a wonderful player, but there are other wonderful players on the bench. Sancho, Grealish or Rashford should come in for one of Mount, Sterling or Foden IMO. 

Foden was pretty much the only player who looked like he was going to cause Scotland problems imo. Every other player was happy to just pass the ball sideways/backwards in front of Scotland’s block (or in Sterling’s case yesterday simply just be incapable of controlling the ball).

Have to agree with the comments about Southgate’s limitations being totally exposed by tactical play.  At least half a dozen teams in this competition have the tactical nous to undo the England team comfortably. 

3 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

England obviously have much more talent, but not really Championship cloggers mostly like. 2 of the starting 11 play in the Championship next season, 7 in the PL - and one of them is a CL winner too.

Gilmour doesn’t play in the PL though, does he? Hanley has only just been promoted and has always been a Championship player.

McGregor and O’Donnell are both Championship standard players.

8 hours ago, Bizza said:

It was fucking awful, we had a team with Premier League and Champions League winners and finalists and they struggled against a team of championship at cloggers. Embarrassing.

Massively disrespectful. England have the better team as they should. Scotland have a decent squad tho, imagine calling mcginn, Gilmour, Mctominay, Adams, Tierney & Robertson championship cloggers. 

That being said Grant Hanley & a lad from Motherwell made Kane, Foden & Sterling look like championship cloggers :lol:

The performance last night actually made me re-evaluate the one against Croatia tbh. That's 4 games in a month with little urgency and not a lot of goal threat, which is unacceptable when you consider our attacking options. At least we've not conceded for a while, but even that was looking shaky against the 3rd lowest ranked team in the competition last night. 

I still think you need to pick players based on form and Sterling should never have came into this tournament ahead of Sancho on that basis. Yes, Sterling can make things happen but when his confidence isn't quite there he's very untidy and can be anonymous against sides sitting back. God knows what Sancho has done not to play a minute so far. 

There are a lot of worrying signs - Kane looking a shadow of his self, Foden looking inhibited compared to his usual self, the huge gap between midfield and the forwards, the eye bleedingly slow build up. It needs to click for us in a big way against the Czechs, we need to blow them away and build some momentum or we'll go out of this tournament with a whimper. 

As for Scotland I don't believe they're getting enough credit in here for their performance. They didn't go to Wembley to kick us and hoof it, they matched us all over the park and played some decent stuff as well. Arguably they should have won the game, and might have done with a better finisher on the pitch. Fair play to them, a very good performance in a game where nobody gave them a chance. 

8 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

The performance last night actually made me re-evaluate the one against Croatia tbh. That's 4 games in a month with little urgency and not a lot of goal threat, which is unacceptable when you consider our attacking options. At least we've not conceded for a while, but even that was looking shaky against the 3rd lowest ranked team in the competition last night. 

I still think you need to pick players based on form and Sterling should never have came into this tournament ahead of Sancho on that basis. Yes, Sterling can make things happen but when his confidence isn't quite there he's very untidy and can be anonymous against sides sitting back. God knows what Sancho has done not to play a minute so far. 

There are a lot of worrying signs - Kane looking a shadow of his self, Foden looking inhibited compared to his usual self, the huge gap between midfield and the forwards, the eye bleedingly slow build up. It needs to click for us in a big way against the Czechs, we need to blow them away and build some momentum or we'll go out of this tournament with a whimper. 

As for Scotland I don't believe they're getting enough credit in here for their performance. They didn't go to Wembley to kick us and hoof it, they matched us all over the park and played some decent stuff as well. Arguably they should have won the game, and might have done with a better finisher on the pitch. Fair play to them, a very good performance in a game where nobody gave them a chance. 

You're totally right, like. I was harsh on Scotland last night, just fucking miserable at what happened. There was far more to their performance than just trying to kick us off the park, not that I'd retract that sentiment when it came to Dykes and McGinn in the early stages. They were definitely trying to make us nervous and they did. 

Harry Kane was diabolical last night. Southgate left Phillips and Rice 3v2 all night. The wide forwards were too wide and the fullbacks too conservative. Build up was too slow. Mount was terrible, not helped by a shit formation. Scotlands tactics were spot on. England lacked intensity. Compare dopey Kane to Robertson death stare 

Think people can argue about x attacking player should be playing over y as with the fullbacks but other than Kane I don't think any of the attacking options stand out massively over the others so that's all just preference, whereas the CM options are objectively the clear weakest part of the team, as ever with England. The general approach is basically the same as Deschamps, minus Pogba and Kante. Not sure what Southgate can really do to hide it other than accept the flaws and go back to the back five. 

34 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Disappointing. 

I was thinking about this whole thing of the fans booing at full time. I mean, I'm not keen on it myself, but how else are fans supposed to display their opinion of poor performances than booing? I seem to remember the Spanish waving white hankies or something, but I always thought that looked a bit odd.

We've got the players, it's Southgate, he is useless.  Team selections, tactics, substitutions all absolutely crazy.  Same as the last World Cup, we should have got to the final (we will never get it as easy again) and he comes home to a ridiulous fanfare and he gets a gong.  Unbelievable.

8 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I was thinking about this whole thing of the fans booing at full time. I mean, I'm not keen on it myself, but how else are fans supposed to display their opinion of poor performances than booing? I seem to remember the Spanish waving white hankies or something, but I always thought that looked a bit odd.

I don't see why it's essential to do that at all tbh, not in this context anyway. It was a poor performance and result but they didn't disgrace themselves - it was just a bad night. Maybe just mumble off quietly rather than behaving like entitled divvies throwing toys out the pram at the first sign of trouble. "How dare you didn't win you shit bastards booooooooo." Just think it's unnecessary and a dismal way to support your team in this context. Iceland 2016, fine, whatever. But in the early stages of a tournament when we didn't even lose and still have every chance of putting things right? Just don't see the need; it was a bad enough night as it was, why pile on further negativity? Like I say, just comes across very entitled. 

The midfield is a big problem, tbh. Rice and Phillips is so limited and conservative. Mount had moments but wasn't doing his job of being the link between the lines. So often just wandering around. 

Needs changing up but not sure there's a clear solution. 

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The midfield is a big problem, tbh. Rice and Phillips is so limited and conservative. Mount had moments but wasn't doing his job of being the link between the lines. So often just wandering around. 

Needs changing up but not sure there's a clear solution. 

It's a huge problem. As good as Phillips was vs Croatia he was barely a factor last night. We don't seem to have a player that can link up play from deep, all of our players with the ability and vision to do this play further forward. 

I've not seen enough of Bellingham but my understanding is he's more of a box to box all rounder so not sure he'd be the answer either. Arguably you could say it suggests Mount isn't doing his job properly but that's a lot of responsibility to place on one player. 

Time to try something different, perhaps:

Walker Stones Mings 

Trippier            Phillips            Chilwell

Grealish

Foden Sancho

Kane