Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

2 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Belgium ran over Russia in Russia and Denmark in Denmark.

A Denmark drained by a terrible situation, and missing their star player to be fair - not to take anything away from Belgium, they have played well.

Edited by LiquidAK
adding stuff

And Italy looked great against those world beaters Turkey and Switzerland, playing both at home.  

De Bruyne has played one half of football. They brought him  on and over powered the Danes, who admittedly dominated the first half. 

Edited by gazza ladra

This is a bit stupid but how was the Belgium win against Denmark easy? They improved after KdB came on but Denmark were still creating chances right to the end. Even xG was 1.99-0.82 to Denmark according to Infogol.

Meanwhile Italy just destroyed Switzerland who are supposed to be a decent side, 2.50-0.25 in xG.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I would love to know. 

He's clearly an excellent poster but has an irrational dislike of me and all things Man United. 

Only known one like that before... 

:lol:

I absolutely don’t dislike you - I don’t agree with your opinions on OGS but that’s okay.

I’m me. @Andersonbut I can be anyone you want me to be.

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

You are sound mate when you don't keep going on and on, a bit like me.

:p

We all have subjects we are passionate about :dontknow: I have no doubt most are sound on here (you included) who I’d enjoy a few pints of pop with… but conversations are bound to het fractious at times.

Especially when all things NUFC is as shit as it is.

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

We all have subjects we are passionate about :dontknow: I have no doubt most are sound on here (you included) who I’d enjoy a few pints of pop with… but conversations are bound to het fractious at times.

Especially when all things NUFC is as shit as it is.

I'm just being daft mate. :thup:

Guest HTT II
10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

England, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany all dropping points. At least three of them have had proper stinkers too, so it's not just us. Hopefully we'll feel buoyed by this, take the Scotland game as "we avoided disaster," and overcome the tactical mishaps going into our last game. A good win and it's game on again, but I wouldn't rule out another draw against an opponent that will surely be confident. 

Italy looking strongest so far. 

I’m a glass still half full type positive at the moment where England are concerned, we need a big performance soon and key players to start clicking. It’s anyone’s tournament at the moment and although we were disappointing against Scotland, we are still in with a chance of winning this. 

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’m a glass still half full type positive at the moment where England are concerned, we need a big performance soon and key players to start clicking. It’s anyone’s tournament at the moment and although we were disappointing against Scotland, we are still in with a chance of winning this. 

I wish I shared your view. I was dutifully optimistic before the tournament started, but seeing the football that the likes of Italy, Belgium, France et al have shown, I feel a bit embarrassed.

We've shown in the lead up that we're capable of better football, but it needs a bolder selection, and for the team to relax. Assuming we reach the knockout rounds, maybe the pressure will decrease a bit - we look like a team that's scared of making mistakes. 

Understandably, Southgate has probably been anxious to avoid the humiliation of failing to progress beyond the group stage, and that's been reflected in his choices. Hopefully, that'll change.

Southgate on Sancho, fuck knows what he's prattling on about here. Sancho made his England debut in 2018 and has 19 caps. 

"We've got some explosive options and a lot of them are young players and experiencing a big tournament for the first time.

"So as a coaching staff we are realistic about our expectations of them as individuals.

"Jadon is in that mix. He's trained well the last few days and of course we have got those options and those decisions to make."

Edited by Interpolic

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

Southgate on Sancho, fuck knows what he's prattling on about here. 

"We've got some explosive options and a lot of them are young players and experiencing a big tournament for the first time.

"So as a coaching staff we are realistic about our expectations of them as individuals.

"Jadon is in that mix. He's trained well the last few days and of course we have got those options and those decisions to make."

Shades of Pardew/Ben Arfa that.

He’s the same age as James and Foden and only a year younger than Rice and Mount, who all started Friday. Four years older than Bellingham who came on as a sun last week also. 

It’s a pretty typical English attitude I feel. Obsessing with having experience, professionalism, reliability work rate et al is great but a cynicism over youth and anyone with a hint of maverick or unpredictability about them I think hinders us. 

Guest HTT II

Nah, Southgate has never been afraid of playing youth. The reality is he probably doesn’t rate him highly enough to start with him, but rates him enough to have his qualities in the squad. 

Hard to see a player with Bundesliga and Champions League experience being too phased about appearing at the Euros. I imagine Southgate isn't as confident that he will protect his full back or maybe he's worried that he will take on a man and make something happen.

Assuming we progress, our next game is either in Seville or Copenhagen, my thoughts would be on giving him a start at Wembley and moving Foden to the centre.

Those Sancho quotes make no sense at all, he's been playing in some of the biggest European games through the Champions League, not to mention challenging for domestic titles, so why would a major tournament be any different for a player of that talent?

Plus, it's an inconsistent argument when players like Foden, Mount, James, Rice, Phillips and whoever else have all participated so far.

On 18/06/2021 at 21:58, Skeletor said:

Not to mention this Scotland team is coached by John fucking Carver.

You realise he coached us when we last finished in the champions league spots ? 

We were very bad at building attacks from the back, which is a traditional English fault. We should be playing only one defensive midfielder, and that should be a player who is confident enough to pass the ball forward ie Phillips. 

We also should have a back four who are all reasonably confident on the ball. Stones, James and Shaw are okay, but Mings looks terrified in possession. Sometimes there's 20 yards of space in front of him but he won't move forward with the ball. If Maguire or White are fit, I'd pick one of them. 

What was happening on Friday was Rice was collecting the ball from the toes of the back four and then knocking it back or sideways. That's a complete waste. When we have the ball, the back four should be capable of pushing up and finding someone in a more advanced position.