Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

Surprised it's taken this long for somebody to be out with it. 

Still a chance we could get some knockout games completely ruined by 'outbreaks' (IE completely healthy adults in their 20s testing positive for something they wouldn't have even realised they had).

Edited by ponsaelius

I haven't been too impressed with Rice so far, don't really see what he's offering us.  Southgate loves him though so doubt he'll drop him.

Think I'd go Phillips/Mount/Grealish in midfield and Sancho/Kane/Foden up front.  Think Mount could play 10 yards further back and help link the play better.

4 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I haven't been too impressed with Rice so far, don't really see what he's offering us.  Southgate loves him though so doubt he'll drop him.

Think I'd go Phillips/Mount/Grealish in midfield and Sancho/Kane/Foden up front.  Think Mount could play 10 yards further back and help link the play better.

That would probably be my team too. 

There's no way England go into this game playing for a draw right? It's too risky. I'm selfishly thinking of the game I'm hopefully going to. I'd be gutted if it was Czech Republic vs. France instead of England vs. France.

13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

There's no way England go into this game playing for a draw right? It's too risky. I'm selfishly thinking of the game I'm hopefully going to. I'd be gutted if it was Czech Republic vs. France instead of England vs. France.

Unless Rice and Soucek have had a quiet word with each other as a draw basically shuts out the group qualification and gives everyone a rest going into the knockouts

I really can't see any point in playing for a draw. Yeah the last 16 fixture would no doubt be easier but, unless I'm reading it wrong, we'd meet someone from the Group of Death in the quarters anyway. Whereas if we finish top and overcome our difficult last 16-er, we're looking at the dodgy Spain group in the quarters instead. So it makes no odds. 

Tickets still not on sale for that R16 game at Wembley by the way. We were told we'd get 24 hours notice for a priority ticket window and then general sale would be the day after. If that's true it's going to be Wednesday at the earliest before general sale of an England game at Wembley that is 6 days away. Absolute mess.

41 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I really can't see any point in playing for a draw. Yeah the last 16 fixture would no doubt be easier but, unless I'm reading it wrong, we'd meet someone from the Group of Death in the quarters anyway. Whereas if we finish top and overcome our difficult last 16-er, we're looking at the dodgy Spain group in the quarters instead. So it makes no odds. 

Aye, does my head in the amount of short-sightedness from pundits claiming "England should look to finish 2nd". Playing second from that group at home is obviously preferable to playing top away in Russia.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I find it absolutely mad that Kane's place in the team is being debated. I'm not saying it shouldn't be, because he was especially appalling against Scotland - to the extent he looked like he hadn't slept for about 48 hours; I would just never have expected it going into the tournament. He's been extremely reliable for England and, by all accounts, he priorities his international career above his club one.

He's one of the biggest reasons why you fancied us at the start, and I desperately hope he picks his arse up, like. Cos in spite of all the talent on the wings - it's in him that we've got our edge over the likes of Spain, Germany, Portugal, Holland. A properly world class marksman. 

You forgot that Cristiano Ronaldo exists? :lol:

Genuinely don't quite get the scale of clamour to pick Grealish.  He's clearly a talented player, but it's hardly a great travesty he isn't being picked.  If we are going to change any of Mount, Foden or Sterling, I'd actually rather bring in Sancho anyway.

He's a ball-hog who's game centres a lot around being on the ball constantly, dribbling and winning free-kicks. He's exceptionally good at it and it works very well at a team like Villa where the whole side is built around him. 

Our biggest problem has been setting a tempo and rhythm to our passing when in possession - and the associated off the ball movement to help with that. There's little surprise this all actually got even worse when Grealish came on (Rashford through the middle didn't help mind). 

I think bringing him is possibly worth a go from the start but not sure I'd want it to be straight in for one of the wide players. Drop one of the holders and put Mount in there, and then have Grealish advanced. I don't think we have the players to justify this conservative midfield we've been playing. 

Edited by ponsaelius

7 hours ago, gdm said:

Before anyone jumps in I’m aware this is highly unlikely But just wondering what happens if England get beat 2-0 and Scotland win 1-0. Both teams would be on same points, same goals and same results against the same teams with a 0-0 draw head to head 

To answer my own question