Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

23 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Walker.  :lol:

I don't even know which of your players are supposed to be backs, weakest England backline I can remember :lol: The young attacking players can still come good but on paper I'm amazed if this team can even get past the last 16. 

Tactically you should lose today, bit honestly not sure if the Czechs will give you a choice as they've looked good so far.

Edited by Kaizero

It doesn't make sense not to top our group like.

Okay we'll play Sweden likely in the last 16, but then we'll meet the group F winners in the quarters, at St. Petersburg anyway. 

I'd rather face second place in group F in the last 16 at Wembley, then potentially Spain, who aren't great, in the quarters. 

2 hours ago, Kaizero said:

on paper I'm amazed if this team can even get past the last 16. 

Eh? I mean we probably won’t because It’s England/ Southgate picking the wrong teams and tactics. But England have one of the top 3 or 4 squads in the competition on paper. 

Yeah that's a strange comment from Kaiz. The full-backs consist of: two Champions League winners, two domestic league champions and a player from the PL team of the year. There's a PL winner coming off a great season at CB and, assuming Maguire features, another very talented defender there. The goalie is hit and miss for his club but has, to his credit, never let England down and has had a good start to the tournament. The talent on the wings go without saying and we've got one of the best centre-forwards on the planet. The only position where we're iffy is admittedly a crucial one (CM) but it's not as if we've got a bunch of mugs to choose from.

I think extremely highly of Southgate, for all his flaws, but he really shouldn't have any excuses when it comes to dispatching the likes of Czech Republic now. They're not a poor side by any stretch but, on paper, we've a wealth of brilliant options all over the pitch. The last 16 game will be extremely difficult but, again, we've got the options to compete with anyone. Get through that and it should unlock the greatest opportunity of silverware in God knows how long. 

There's a lot of pressure on the manager now, it has to be said, and if we're poor tonight and go out without a whimper in the next round - regardless of opponent - it's probably time to look at moving on ahead of the World Cup. Scotland was a stinker so it's vital that he and everyone else learns from it. 

Still optimistic, like. Really looking forward to tonight. 

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Which is because of the manager, not the players imo

Totally agree 👍 same case with Newcastle I'd argue we have a top 10ish side minimum.Scotland got the draw due to Thier manager

Edited by astraguy

1 minute ago, astraguy said:

Totally agree 👍 same case with Newcastle I'd argue we have a top 10ish side minimum.Scotland got the draw due to Thier manager

We have got a much better team than Bruce makes us, but I'd argue any team playing Shelvey, Hayden, Longstaff and Hendrick in midfield is going to struggle to get 10th.

Anyway, back on subject, I'm actually quite excited about tonight, think we'll play much better and win 2-0.

3 hours ago, Kaizero said:

I don't even know which of your players are supposed to be backs, weakest England backline I can remember :lol: The young attacking players can still come good but on paper I'm amazed if this team can even get past the last 16. 

Tactically you should lose today, bit honestly not sure if the Czechs will give you a choice as they've looked good so far.

This is a mad post saying our squad on paper can't get past the last 16

On paper our team is top heavy, I expect fans from other countries look at our defence and midfield and don’t know who some of them are. The same way that people are looking at the Spanish and Dutch teams now and are unimpressed by the names.

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

On paper our team is top heavy, I expect fans from other countries look at our defence and midfield and don’t know who some of them are. The same way that people are looking at the Spanish and Dutch teams now and are unimpressed by the names.

Phillips and Rice maybe but not the defence surely. The first choice defence I assume is James (Chelsea, CL winner), Maguire (Man United), Stones (City, league winner, team of the year), Shaw (Man United, team of the year).

24 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Phillips and Rice maybe but not the defence surely. The first choice defence I assume is James (Chelsea, CL winner), Maguire (Man United), Stones (City, league winner, team of the year), Shaw (Man United, team of the year).

With CL winner Chilwell on the bench (normally)

There's class all the way through the squad. Southgate just doesn't know how to use it.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Mount and Chilwell out for another week.

Why do they have to isolate but not the rest of the Scotland squad who will have had much more prolonged contact with him?

Scandalous. We're on dodgy ground here as I think it's becoming apparent that Scotland are very clearly lying about Gilmour not coming into contact with ANY of their squad. There's absolutely no chance Mount and Chilwell were the only two people that got that close to Gilmour for that time. There's pictures ffs of Clarke hugging him and Mcginn and Robertson with him, and that's just what we know of. They were all hugging after the game etc and would have been in the changing room after.

It makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Such bollocks. They've tested negative ffs. 

Should be back for the last 16 though, assuming we win tonight. 

You're into the last 16 no matter what.