Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

10 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t expect Southgate to go with Ward-Prowse but I would be tempted. Quite strong defensively and very creative on the ball, with great set pieces. 

Six months ago I’d have probably started him with Rice in the centre. Rice plus another now.

Pickford, Maguire, Stones, Rice, Mount, Kane, Sterling and Rashford are certainties to start for Southgate. The other 3 are debatable.

Chilwell/Shaw for Left back.

Reckon it will be Phillips from Leeds in the middle.

Then someone in right back.

Southgate is stupid enough not to start Foden.

Having Sterling and Rashford both in there surely won't be the preference now (don't they both occupy pretty much the same space)? Don't think Southgate's stupid. Overly cautious maybe. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Having Sterling and Rashford both in there surely won't be the preference now (don't they both occupy pretty much the same space)? Don't think Southgate's stupid. Overly cautious maybe. 

Perhaps. Sancho I suppose will edge infront of Rashford/Sterling.

My first 11 would be 

Henderson 

Walker Stones Godfrey Shaw

Mount Bellingham Grealish

Sancho Kane Foden

Get likes of Pickford, Maguire, Henderson, Sterling etc out. All Southgate favourites. The obsession with shoehorning 2 defensive midfielders in needs to stop as well. Technique and skill over been able to run a lot. It’s why the likes of Portugal and Croatia always beat us as they have footballers and we go for players who can run around a lot and kick people 

1 hour ago, CalmintheChaos said:

My first 11 would be 

Henderson 

Sancho Kane Foden

Get likes of Pickford, Maguire, Henderson, Sterling etc out. All Southgate favourites. The obsession with shoehorning 2 defensive midfielders in needs to stop as well. Technique and skill over been able to run a lot. It’s why the likes of Portugal and Croatia always beat us as they have footballers and we go for players who can run around a lot and kick people 

You've shoehorned Grealish into central midfield.

4 hours ago, CalmintheChaos said:

My first 11 would be 

Henderson 

Sancho Kane Foden

Croatia, Portugal, France will counterattack that lineup successfully. The front 6 offers no protection to the defense. Unless Southgate coaches some Barca Pep 70-80% style possession football into that lineup. Even then if you loose the ball, it will be very easy for top quality international sides to overwhelm that defense in seconds. 

6 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

Croatia, Portugal, France will counterattack that lineup successfully. The front 6 offers no protection to the defense. Unless Southgate coaches some Barca Pep 70-80% style possession football into that lineup. Even then if you loose the ball, it will be very easy for top quality international sides to overwhelm that defense in seconds. 

Ah so we need a couple of hatchetman and dogs like hendo and Rice in there then. Nonsense.

Bellingham can sit in front of the back 4 and break up play, he’s athletic and has a great first touch and can play as well. Levels above the other cloggers 

Edited by CalmintheChaos

48 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Ah so we need a couple of hatchetman and dogs like hendo and Rice in there then. Nonsense.

Bellingham can sit in front of the back 4 and break up play, he’s athletic and has a great first touch and can play as well. Levels above the other cloggers 

Henderson and Rice are hardly cloggers. They're very good at what they do, Henderson especially.

54 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

And? He’s a good footballer I’m sure he can play central midfield he can pass, run, dribble. What’s the issue?

It doesn't work like that, just because you're a good player doesn't mean you can go and play in any position without the experience playing that position and do it effectively.

5 hours ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Will get beat first decent side they play if they play them. Watch and see

Klopp has Fabinho. Pep has Rodri, Fernandinho. France started Kante and Matuidi in the world cup final. You need someone of that defensive mindset patrolling the midfield and providing protection against attacks. I am not saying bring Chopper Harris out of retirement and play him. Henderson cannot play that role effectively. I haven't watched enough of Rice but maybe he can. And both of them are not cloggers. 

Bellingham is a box to box midfielder. His strength is in bursting forward and joining the attack. You will not be using him properly if you ask him to patrol in front of the defense. Even in defense, Walker, Stones, and Shaw are not exactly "though shall not pass" type of defenders. They need some form of protection ahead of them.  If England plays that line up, they will get beat, not just by the first decent side, but by the first side who knows how to counterattack effectively. 

Agree with that, though I don’t so much have a problem with starting Bellingham the other side of Mount but yes you need a Rice or Henderson in there for protection.

Edited by Rafalove

Guest HTT II
17 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

3 past & present NUFC Assistant Managers in the dugouts for England v Scotland.

Must fucking sting Bruce who never won even a cap. 

I know we're blessed at full back and TAA didn't have the best of seasons but honestly think we'll look back on his non-selection in years to come wondering what the fuck we were doing. He looked well on his way to becoming one of the world's best players just the season before last and surely he's worth including for his delivery alone which could be invaluable when chasing a game. 

Edited by Interpolic

57 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I know we're blessed at full back and TAA didn't have the best of seasons but honestly think we'll look back on his non-selection in years to come wondering what the fuck we were doing. He looked well on his way to becoming one of the world's best players just the season before last and surely he's worth including for his delivery alone which could be invaluable when chasing a game. 

TAA doesnt deserve to start based on his form and the Reece James, Walker display during the weekend. But offensively he is a next level threat compared to all right fullback options for England. These are from premierleague.com.

TAA 33 assists in 129 appearances
Kieran Trippier  18 assists in 107 appearances
Walker 30 assists in 316 appearances
James 4 assists in 56 appearances

Not having him as an option is weird. An out of form TAA still can ping threatening crosses from the deep aimed at Kane and DCL if England are chasing a game. Also, not taking England's two best set piece threats - Ward Prowse and TAA is also not that smart. 

England won't do fuck all I'm certain of that and Trent missing out is a joke, have people forgot the injuries Liverpool have suffered all over the field this season? Midfielders drafted into defence etc.bound to of affected Trents performance when Ur stock is so high he hasn't even been bad