Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

12 minutes ago, Disco said:

Whoever said bringing Rashford on as the 9 was daft is spot on too. England weren’t getting enough players in the box as it was and he’ll alwsys pull to the left and deep when it’s a low block.

Though Mount and Rice were both poor as per the first. Kane abysmal and the full backs had clearly been told to be conservative which seems daft when playing 1.5 holding midfielders and against a back 5. Barely an overload in the match either, really poor.

We were definitely beaten tactically/set up, wise. How it didnt prompt more of a change is poor. 

Grealish for Foden was silly. Should have been Sancho for Sterling. Probably Bellingham for Rice to for more legs.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

I think we all know Rice is better than that, he was under instructions tonight to not move more than 5 yards away from Stones and Mings 

The classic problem is that a player in that position inevitably gets a lot of the ball. If they are unable or unwilling to move the ball forward when the opportunity presents, then that inhibits the whole rhythm of the side. 

Or even - heaven forbid - move forward in possession when a gap appears, and trust the intelligence of your teammates to cover the gap you leave behind. That's what good teams do.

Get in, dead happy with that (Scotland fan). Yknow one of the things - felt so tense at the end, so invested, apart from the Rafa period I've not experienced that with Newcastle in last ten years as so apathetic - feels good just to feel :lol: Nearly died during that goalmouth scramble.

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

We were definitely beaten tactically/set up, wise. How it didnt prompt more of a change is poor. 

Grealish for Foden was silly. Should have been Sancho for Sterling.

And Grealish for Mount, or Rice or Phillips. Piss poor midfield selection out of all our choices against a workmanlike Scotland team who would struggle to survive relegation from the PL FFS.

5 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Was that Sterling foul a penalty then? In the PL that would be given all day long

An almost identical one was given for Holland the other night - can’t understand why VAR didn’t even look at it.

Well, I can. Because VAR is a load of shite.

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Grealish for Foden was silly. Should have been Sancho for Sterling. Probably Bellingham for Rice to for more legs.

Move Foden back and get himself, Sterling and Grealish on in the first instance.

6 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Was that Sterling foul a penalty then? In the PL that would be given all day long

Yes, stood on his foot. No, he’d already overrun the ball and was looking for it. 

3 minutes ago, Disco said:

Move Foden back and get himself, Sterling and Grealish on in the first instance.

I don't know why but I just don't see Grealish anywhere in this set up. Was infuriated when he refused to pass it, kept the ball off 3 playrs while running backwards and getting a free kick in the centre circle. He's just not quick enough in his release and thinking, for me. I think we'd benefit from a box to box runner to really drive us. I havent watched Bellingham much but he seems like our best option in that regard for me.

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I don't know why but I just don't see Grealish anywhere in this set up. Was infuriated when he refused to pass it, kept the ball off 3 playrs while running backwards and getting a free kick in the centre circle. He's just not quick enough in his release and thinking, for me. I think we'd benefit from a box to box runner to really drive us. I havent watched Bellingham much but he seems like our best option in that regard for me.

Willock…

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I can see where your coming from but having two defensive mids means Scotland have spare men to mark our destroyers out of the game, we need to play 10 yards further up the pitch like Peps teams, it makes the opposition do something, tonight Scotland had time to think.

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He starts left and the left CM and LB use the space to overload in when he comes inside, same as Sterling but without the runs in behind. Didn’t see any of that though for either.

I’d not have him starting either though. 

3 minutes ago, Ben said:
7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I can see where your coming from but having two defensive mids means Scotland have spare men to mark our destroyers out of the game, we need to play 10 yards further up the pitch like Peps teams, it makes the opposition do something, tonight Scotland had time to think.

I suppose my point is to not play Bellingham as a DM. I dont think he's a strict DM anyway from my limited viewing, he has real ability, strength and drive. I wouldnt ask him to sit. Come back and try and win it with the team, aye. But then just go. we had no one making Scotland sprint backwards. They're poor players and it was easy for them. All we needed to do was make them run backwards and have to twist and turn.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

There seems to be this view that the man to break down a deep backline is Grealish but when does he ever have to do that? When was the last time a team sat in a low block against Villa?

Southgate really is so Bruce-esque in his press conferences

"Still working out the patterns in attack"- How long have you been in charge for now, four years?

Then blaming the lack of tempo on young players possibly being overawed at the occasion. Yeah not like many of them have been winning major honors this season in some of the biggest games, not the least the Champions League just a month or so back.

He's such a twat, he'll play the exact same system next week, has no idea how to change it.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I suppose my point is to not play Bellingham as a DM. I dont think he's a strict DM anyway from my limited viewing, he has real ability, strength and drive. I wouldnt ask him to sit. Come back and try and win it with the team, aye. But then just go. we had no one making Scotland sprint backwards. They're poor players and it was easy for them. All we needed to do was make them run backwards and have to twist and turn.

We must be fuckin great if UEFA give us 5 subs and we still don't bring Sancho on.

22 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I thought it was going to be given because there's contact. But it's right that it wasn't  - those ones in PL are bullshit. Should actually be a trip, not just contact.