Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

1 minute ago, Anderson said:

What’s going on? Can’t remember them particularly kicking us up a height?

I genuinely think the dykes one in first min wasn’t meant then mcginn put himself about a bit till he got booked but apart from that I can’t think of much 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

And I'm ratty as fuck. :lol:

Ah well, hopefully you fuck the Croats up and we do the same to Czechia both go through. 

England are as good as thru already mate. 

35 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

England is doing an England, shoehorning in players that doesn't really work together and doing an either/or between players like Foden and Graelish. Just put out the players that form the best team and have the best chemistry, you don't need to put the 11 biggest names out there at the same time.

Can you be manager?

42 minutes ago, gdm said:

I genuinely think the dykes one in first min wasn’t meant then mcginn put himself about a bit till he got booked but apart from that I can’t think of much 

Was a typical frantic start but nah, not at all. Ref played it well too IMO.

Between this and the CL final Lahoz has come a mile, used to be a total joke. Not sure what UEFA have told the refs for this tournament but the standard has been way higher than usual and I've not even deekyed Cüneyt Çakır yet.

Cowardly choices by Southgate again, cowardly set up, cowardly game plan, slow and laboured on the ball, no movement off the ball, no build up play, this was as stinking as any recent memory of an England performance. Left it too long to bring Grealish on, persevered with Kane up top with no service, shoehorning players in instead of setting up the team to play a style. This is just going to be another wasted tournament with a sub-par manager.

Nod to Scotland, they played high tempo, dictated the game from the off and defended well, even had the better chances. Played better than the sum of their parts and can be disappointed with a draw.

First manager to serve me a badly burned sausage sarnie at a BBQ held by his assistant manager in European Championship history. A momentous occasion I'm sure we can all agree. #NE42

Desperate from England. Look shit scared all round. Scared to leave the centre backs 1v1 so we can press higher, scared to play a slightly risky ball inside, scared to take on a man, scared to overlap, scared to take the ball on the half turn and force a Scotland player to commit. We should be all over teams like them like a rash. 

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The more I think about that performance, the angrier it makes me :lol: 

It was fucking awful, we had a team with Premier League and Champions League winners and finalists and they struggled against a team of championship at cloggers. Embarrassing.

Not playing the best 11 players that fit into a specific system to create the best team has fucking forever been England’s issue since god knows how long. It’s always big names and then no direction. I hate seeing this because we’re watching a 120m player in Sancho sitting the bench for a tourney when he’s clearly the best right winger England have. We’re watching Graelish sit the bench for Raheem Sterling who had a season where he wasn’t his best. Wild. 

Shameful leadership on the pitch too. Jordan Henderson needs to be out there because maybe he will give these a kick in the backside. Too much talent to be drawing Scotland. This team needs to play like they should and be dominating this tourney. 

On 13/06/2021 at 17:53, The Prophet said:

Its arguably Southgate's greatest achievement. He's a fantastic ambassador and has managed to unite players, fans and media. It's just a shame he's lacking as a tactician.

I stand by this. Someone like Mancini or Enrique will have his pants down.

Scotlsnd setup to contain and hit England on the break. If their strikers were more clinical it would have worked.

It was very similar to the Croatia game. We started with a high tempo and tried to chip the ball into the forwards at every opportunity. When that didn't work we were clueless.

Mount had an unusually poor game, Kane was coming too deep and Sterling was given no space in behind. Ultimately we failed to put any real pressure on their 18-yard box.

Should we come second in the group, Sweden will do exactly the same. We need to work on a system to break down teams who are comfortable sitting in.

4 hours ago, Bizza said:

It was fucking awful, we had a team with Premier League and Champions League winners and finalists and they struggled against a team of championship at cloggers. Embarrassing.

England obviously have much more talent, but not really Championship cloggers mostly like. 2 of the starting 11 play in the Championship next season, 7 in the PL - and one of them is a CL winner too.

I know everybody seems determined that Grealish is the answer but I'm not convinced. Especially if he's going to come and play like he's at Villa, holding the ball endlessly, and winning free kicks. 

Our problem is lack of a passing rhythm and tempo and that got even worse after the two subs.

If you're going to go with a front 3 of Sterling, Foden and Kane, you don't get your wide forwards to hug the touchline and isolate Kane, they should be cutting in and allowing the wingbacks to overlap. That's another thing, what was the point in changing the wingbacks other than to validate taking so many?

We were so slow with the ball. It was a problem all night and then we made it worse by taking the one player off who was looking to move it quickly (Foden).

I know he was off it in the first game, but felt as though we missed Walker too. The full backs seemed to be underlapping and I don’t think either Shaw or James really knew what to do. Walker is a risk taker and actually has quite penetrative passing when he’s playing well. That’s why Pep is happy to play him inside.

I would consider dropping Rice out and putting Phillips into DM for the next game. Play Foden as the 8 and get Sancho in the team out wide.

Edited by Smal