Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

Thought that was pretty professional job, first half was pretty exciting, we had multiple opportunities to score, and could have been 2/3 up, second half while admittedly a bit dull, we controlled and managed the game really well, the defence was occasionally shaky, but they didn't really have any clear chances especially in the second half. Thought Walker was the pick of the defenders, and Saka and Grealish where great going forward. Hopefully we can carry this forward.

You can't say England didn't put in a shift to get this result, so well done for that.

But the whole philosophy and ethos of the team is so pathetically unambitious given the talent they have at their disposal. There is just no vision or gameplan to dominate lesser teams. You get the impression the reason they have such tepid off the ball movement when in possession, is because they want to retain their defensive discipline if they lose the ball.

The thing is, there's just no point in not growing though. They'll get cut to ribbons when they face tournament favourites. It's just all heart and no brains.

Guest neesy111

Feel it'll go 2 ways against better opposition.

Either they'll enable spaces as they attack us more and we'll exploit or we'll be punished.

Well it's a win :lol:

Absolutely needlessly tedious though. First half 7/10, second half 5/10 for the concentration and professionalism I suppose. 

We've got a week until the next game and this wasn't the momentum builder I was hoping for. If we go out with a whimper then I think our approach to the games can be rightly called unjustified. 

Henderson for Rice was a positive change. Phillips went to his best position, and Henderson went further forward. Not long after that, we changed shape and we looked ragged. 

Assuming Mount misses the next game, it'll be three from Grealish, Sterling, Foden and Saka. I'd drop Sterling, but I'm pretty sure Southgate won't.

5 minutes ago, Klaus said:

So we are playing France, Germany or Portugal next? :lol:

:scared:

Aye. I know it's 'only the group stage', and qualification/results are more important than performances (to a degree), but I can't see us beating any of those three.

Edited by TK-421

I've thoroughly enjoyed this tournament. 

However other than perhaps some of the Group E matches the three worst games have been the three England games. Proper dull and in the case of that one made worse by being at Wembley - reminding me of some pish friendly or qualifier.