Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

3 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Henderson for Rice was a positive change. Phillips went to his best position, and Henderson went further forward. Not long after that, we changed shape and we looked ragged. 

Assuming Mount misses the next game, it'll be three from Grealish, Sterling, Foden and Saka. I'd drop Sterling, but I'm pretty sure Southgate won't.

Rice was almost playing as a third CB, incredibly deep. 

3 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Aye. I know it's 'only the group stage', and qualification/results are more important than performances (to a degree), but I can't see us beating any of those three.

dunno portugal haven't looked great so far, even vs Hungary the score was a bit flattering and they looked hopeless vs Germany. 

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's easy to say we're being professional, solid, working our way into the tournament etc. 

But that was dull as dishwater and we're probably out in the next round. 

Yeah, I mean it’s difficult to suddenly switch on playing well at the critical time. You need some kind of momentum. 

Seems to be the life of England. Meaningless games which are too easy to challenge them, followed by defeat by a great team that are too good to beat. 

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed this tournament. 

However other than perhaps some of the Group E matches the three worst games have been the three England games. Proper dull and in the case of that one made worse by being at Wembley - reminding me of some pish friendly or qualifier. 

The Wembley cr:anguish:wd

8 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Aye. I know it's 'only the group stage', and qualification/results are more important than performances (to a degree), but I can't see us beating any of those three.

Have to hope for Portugal. Best of a bad bunch.

We also owe them for 2004 and 2006. Ruined my summer as a kid those results did :pilko:

Just now, Shearergol said:

Walker was shite, again. Rice too deep. Kane pointless. Other than that I thought everyone did ok. Proper boring though.

Harsh on Walker, I think he had nowhere to go at times because of the stupid midfield formation.

I don't understand the front four at all tbh. Can't tell where anyone's supposed to be. 

Mind you the attritional, bore-everyone-rigid, stuff might be what's needed to overcome our next opponents. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I don't understand the front four at all tbh. Can't tell where anyone's supposed to be. 

Mind you the attritional, bore-everyone-rigid, stuff might be what's needed to overcome our next opponents. 

Think that’s the theory behind our approach in general. We won’t outplay people, so we better out grind them. 

4 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Fuck, back to Newcastle then. :lol: It was nice to enjoy a team for a few games that, while still shit, isn't the physical manifestation of emptiness.

Entertaining watch from what I saw, but that's understandably probably of little solace to you.

Thing is, the three teams have had good chances against us. A more clinical team with a quality striker would have put a couple past us from those group games. This idea that we can just grind out games is a bit silly really. Yes, we should aim to be solid but not at the expense of playing to our main strength which is having a lot of technically gifted players who can move the ball quickly and overwhelm defences. We’d get carved up by Germany, Italy or France. I think Spain, although not clinical so far would cut right through us. I know they’re the best teams but I genuinely think our only chance of beating them is a more expansive approach 

Just now, Jaqen said:

Think we could do Portugal to be honest. 

I genuinely still believe we can beat anyone. I'm fast losing faith that we'll ever have that moment where it clicks and we start playing at the sum of our parts in an attacking sense, but I think we've got the talent and the smarts to beat anyone. 

17 minutes ago, Beren said:

Entertaining watch from what I saw, but that's understandably probably of little solace to you.

Was nice to have our moment with the equalizer, that was special. And glad we could go into second half still in with a decent chance. 

The honour of conceding another famous Euros goal - Modric, after Gazza and Schick :lol: That's 3 in 5 Euro games.

I think Portugal are our best bet. Hammered against Germany and took until 80 whatever minutes to beat Hungary. France were impressive against a poor Germany. And Germany were mega against Portugal. I think if we play any of those on their day, and we play like we have, we're out. They've all had games we can take hope from too, though. 

If we play Rice and Philips again though I'll be fuming. Just leads to everyone being too static when playing out from the back. We have to score more than these teams. Trying to keep them out is just asking for trouble.

39 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Walker was shite, again. Rice too deep. Kane pointless. Other than that I thought everyone did ok. Proper boring though.

I believe 'professional' is the word you're looking for?

'quietly going about our business' I've been told. 

Edited by Wilson

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

If we play Rice and Philips again though I'll be fuming. Just leads to everyone being too static when playing out from the back.

Y'all need to drop Rice and replace him with Henderson. Have some actual spine and leadership in the middle of the park.